PDA

View Full Version : bashing the skills of a pro ?

ted s
July 22nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
I observe other guitar forums, hardly ever post, mostly reading.
I have noticed in other forums (not the fret ) the tendency for some to bash legendary artists (lately Clapton).
His tone sucks.. his best days are gone.. too predictable.. nothing good in the past 25 years blah blah blah.

I realize that these are opinions, we are all entitled to them and that opinions are like a$$ho7es, everybody has one.

I would be quite happy to be as predictable and suck as bad.

I don't get it, someone enlighten me please.
Perhaps I aswered my own question.

ET335
July 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
I have noticed in other forums (not the fret ) the tendency for some to bash legendary artists (lately Clapton).
His tone sucks.. his best days are gone.. too predictable.. nothing good in the past 25 years blah blah blah.

I realize that these are opinions, we are all entitled to them and that opinions are like a$$ho7es, everybody has one.

ted ,those kind of people have nothing better to do,and thats very sad,negative about everything and always putting someone down.I never go to other forums like those anymore.the fret is THE place to be my friend.All Positve here and Great people,always sharing and helping each other.can't get any better than here:DR

Tim
July 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM

We Fretters just don't go there!

Golden rule ... if you have nothing good to say about someone, don't say nothing at all. I believe that is a quote from a Disney movie.

Here at the Fret Net, if we think we said something wrong, we apologize. I know I did way back a few years. :eek: OMG has it been that long????

WackyT
July 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Envy. Plain and simple. They all probably live in their grandmother's basements also.

zeusse
July 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
The ones that always put Clapton down are usualy the same ones that have no soul of their own in their playing. They just don't get it and why waste time trying to change somebody's taste its only their opinion it ain't godsend...but those debates usualy ruffle feathers on forums and no good ever comes of it, I always like to think every guitar player has something to offer in some fashion and try and keep an open mind....its a style choice and thats all.

Spudman
July 22nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
It's kind of like this:

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

7 - One to change the light bulb and six to tell each other how much better they could have done it.

Tim
July 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
It's kind of like this:

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

7 - One to change the light bulb and six to tell each other how much better they could have done it.

Cool Spuds! I like it.

Mark
July 23rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Glad to find this I was checking out a Clapton is crap thread. The problem is they want him to stay in a time capsule and sound like he did 40 years ago. Not to mention personally Eric is one of the nicest and most humble guys you'd ever wanna meet and he's in his 60's! I wanna see the chops on the bashers when they turn 60 let alone now. So to sum it up 40+ year successful career, battled his personal demons and won, numerous gold/platinum albums all this doing what he loves to do. Theres a real failure huh!

How many guitarists does it take to change that bulb...............

one to change it and 7 to figure out how Clapton would do it.

Tone2TheBone
July 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
I liked the Beano Lightbulb much better than the sucky 80s era one..... ;):D

R_of_G
July 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
I think the biggest diff between the Fret and other forums in this regard is that when we Fretters have something "negative" to say about an artist, (a) we don't use words like "sucks" to describe other musicians, and (b) we offer specific criticism [ie. not "clapton sucks now," but "i am not a fan of clapton's specific tone on such and such specific song"]. I have no problem critiquing an artist, because nobody is beyond criticism, that's just part of being a musician. However, as a musician, I recognize how difficult it is, and I seldom criticize something without offering up something positive to say about it as well. For instance, I have criticized Clapton before because, quite frankly, I have never found his tone that spectacular, however, I have never failed to say that (a) tone aside, his playing is incredible and full of genuine soul, and (b) he is a great songwriter. That to me is the difference between Fret posts and those I have seen elsewhere. Here, we show respect for our fellow musicians and each other's opinions.:cool:

Mark
July 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
I think the biggest diff between the Fret and other forums in this regard is that when we Fretters have something "negative" to say about an artist, (a) we don't use words like "sucks" to describe other musicians, and (b) we offer specific criticism [ie. not "clapton sucks now," but "i am not a fan of clapton's specific tone on such and such specific song"]. I have no problem critiquing an artist, because nobody is beyond criticism, that's just part of being a musician. However, as a musician, I recognize how difficult it is, and I seldom criticize something without offering up something positive to say about it as well. For instance, I have criticized Clapton before because, quite frankly, I have never found his tone that spectacular, however, I have never failed to say that (a) tone aside, his playing is incredible and full of genuine soul, and (b) he is a great songwriter. That to me is the difference between Fret posts and those I have seen elsewhere. Here, we show respect for our fellow musicians and each other's opinions.:cool:

Bingo!! It called having some class........BTW checked your site Jayson nice work!

Justaguyin_nc
July 23rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Im just in awwww of anyone that can pick up a guitar and get sound out of it.. so.. picking on artists that make a living at it...aint gonna happen.. just common sense.. I can make myself look stupid in other ways than that!!

Huh..Uhh... :eek:

ShortBuSX
July 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM

...song by the firm, who, IMHO sucked.

Im not such a big fan of this forum any longer, not since my difference of opinion about Hendrix...and then getting called on the carpet by the management about it. Id like to think I was very civil about my difference in opinion...even gave constructive reasons why I dont think hes god-like.
I hardly even wanna post here anymore...not even in non-subjective posts.

I understand milk and cookies is quite palletable...but yall agree so much is somewhat annoying...especially if you cant form a constructive difference of opinion without hearing about it from the mods. And in the mods' defense, one was very nice and the other was a bit aggressive...the whole incident really left a bad taste in my mouth...and I dont know exactly how much longer I'll be posting around here...not that I will be missed, but eh *shrug*

R_of_G
July 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Im not such a big fan of this forum any longer, not since my difference of opinion about Hendrix...and then getting called on the carpet by the management about it. Id like to think I was very civil about my difference in opinion...even gave constructive reasons why I dont think hes god-like.
I hardly even wanna post here anymore...not even in non-subjective posts.

I understand milk and cookies is quite palletable...but yall agree so much is somewhat annoying...especially if you cant form a constructive difference of opinion without hearing about it from the mods. And in the mods' defense, one was very nice and the other was a bit aggressive...the whole incident really left a bad taste in my mouth...and I dont know exactly how much longer I'll be posting around here...not that I will be missed, but eh *shrug*

I refuse to be baited. Don't like something I said or the way I said, there are recourses. If you don't like how those recourses played out, don't come back to me looking for more. I said what I said in that post and I stand by every word of it. If I were able to be baited I'd suggest that perhaps we can subject that previos thread to a bit of a poll question. You know, figure out once and for all who made their point in a more convincing manner. I doubt you want that, though from this post I doubt I know what it is you want. What you'll get is me not posting after you any longer.

ShortBuSX
July 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Ive no need to rebuttle...Ive made my points.

Tone2TheBone
July 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
What'd we miss?

ted s
July 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
hmmm... there must be something wrong with my 'puter, I thought I clicked on the fret...

Tim
July 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM
OK this is not cool! Let's keep it friendly guys. If you want flex those finger muscles, do through the PM process. Thank you.

R_of_G
July 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Oh I'm plenty friendly until someone tries to call me out on something. Then, like anyone else, I defend myself.

ted s
July 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Ya, come on eh ? This is the Fret, we're bro's here, but I berate my 'bro all the time.. (think I just contradicted myself) now make like one of those "barely a hug" guy hugs and a slap on the back. http://www.vpsingles.com/pics/buddies.gif

Tone2TheBone
July 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I think we just need more cowbell ted. :)

pie_man_25
July 25th, 2007, 07:36 AM

It's mostly because they're bored, have nothing better to do and think clapton sucks, I know, it surprises me too I don't know where they got it, maybe they were beaten too many times in childhood by their drunk parents and now they're taking it out on clapton. I do know this, I have nothing better to do and I occaisionally make a pun on pete wentz, but then again he has no bass skills, and I have nothing better to do.

pie_man_25
July 25th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I think we just need more cowbell ted. :)

yes, and DESU,

DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU!!!!!!!

there, I think that's enough desu for now...

Plank_Spanker
July 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
There are lots of "players" that I could care less for, but as a musician, I'll always give talent it's due respect, whether it's my style or not. I save my true loathing for the one finger power chord hacks that somehow bubbled up on the radio in the late 90's, spouting their "solos are wanking. It's all about the song" mantra to every guitar mag that pandered to them - justification for their complete and utter lack of talent. Thankfully, most of those folks have faded into well deserved oblivion.

Tim
July 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
If they play better than me, then they are all good players. So that means there are a lot of good talented guitar players. Music covers a lot of venues. If I don't like it, I do not knock it. What I think is good, some one else may not like it. I don't dislike them for their taste in music. Nor do I dislike a player for what he plays. I just don't listen to that particular style of music. The airwaves are full of different kinds of music. To each their own.