PDA

View Full Version : Selling online (without eBay)

marnold
July 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I've been considering bailing out on my Model 7 project, especially since I'm not going to have the money to complete it for sometime. Someone who is a relatively new member on the Jackson-Charvel forum said that he would buy it off me. I'm a little concerned because I don't know this person from Adam. If I would sell it to him, what would be the best procedure? Get a money order from him and then ship when I get it?

WackyT
July 24th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Get payment first.

US Postal money order
PayPal from verified member

Tone2TheBone
July 24th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Get payment first.

US Postal money order
PayPal from verified member

What's the difference between receiving payment from a verified member and a non verified member? If you receive the payment can't you just immediately transfer that money into your account anyway?

Anymore it's a given to expect to send and receive payment when dealing online with people before they actually receive any packages. I believe that for the most part people are on the up and up (so far with me anyway). You can usually tell the kind of person they are by what they tell you in email. If they seem squirrely and aren't actively pursuing your business and wasting your time and they didn't immediately send you payment after discussing details with you then I'd be wary. I'd be wary also if their name doesn't appear on their email address. I feel better when I see someone's name as part of their address. You can usually tell when someone is being honest.

Mark
July 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Ive done a few good deals through here and TGP. I usually give and get phone numbers I talk to them personally and then do it through paypal, that verifies everything. This seems to work well so far for me and yes collect and deposit funds then you ship.

WackyT
July 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
PayPal Verification FAQ (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/verification-faq-outside)

Tone2TheBone
July 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM
PayPal Verification FAQ (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/verification-faq-outside)

Yeah I know, I'm verified. What I asked was what was the difference between having funds sitting in your PP account from either verified or non verified buyers? Once you're paid you take the money and RUN regardless of their PP status. Non verified members can still send you money to your account. I thought maybe there was a difference in how real their money was or something.

WackyT
July 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
It just makes the whole process a lot more secure. Nonverified accounts could be using stolen bank or credit card accounts and have shipping addresses to drop points. You can accept payment from whoever you want and from whatever source. I personally am kind of paranoid of scammers and thieves online. I guess I've read too many stories in forums of people getting scammed.

Tone2TheBone
July 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I think I received payment from people that weren't verified and that's why I asked about it. I understand what you mean though about being paranoid. I'm paranoid with how packages are delivered to my house is what I'm paranoid about.

Spudman
July 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Marnold

I understand what you mean. You kind of feel very vulnerable doing a transaction without meeting the person, right?

Get and exchange phone numbers. Call the person and talk a bit. You'll hear where they are coming from. Make sure it is a land line though, no cell phone. Get a reference possibly, say a music store that can vouch for the guy.

Then use postal money orders. If they try to shaft you it then becomes a federal matter. Clever huh?

Tone2TheBone
July 24th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Good advice Meester Spudimassa.

marnold
July 30th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Well, it seems that I'm selling it. Should I cash the money order before shipping? I'll be sending it out UPS, which I assume automagically does delivery notification?

duhvoodooman
July 30th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Yes, cash it before you ship, just to be cautious.

UPS will give you a tracking number.

marnold
July 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks. Well, by the time the end of the week comes, I'll be one guitar lighter. I just lost enthusiasm for the project and figured with my cash flow, it would be the 12th of never (and that's a long, long time) before it would be done.

marnold
August 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. Everything with the transaction went smoothly. Within a week, I got my money and he got my guitar.