PDA

View Full Version : guitar lessons

warren0728
February 4th, 2006, 08:12 AM
hey fretters....

i'm thinking about taking some guitar lessons. How many of you have taken lessons. If you have, did it really help or should i just stick to teaching myself. I haven't really played with anyone else and consider myself a novice (intermediate on a good day).

I am a decent rhythm player but am trying to learn more lead stuff (with an emphasis on blues).

If you have taken lessons how did you choose your instructor? Did you actually interview them, were they recommended or did you go by their "bio sheet"

thanks,
ww

warren0728
February 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM
anybody?

ww

Katastrophe
February 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I took lessons for a couple of years in the early 90's. It was twice a week intense guitar training, and I loved it. My playing grew rapidly because of quality instruction, and a ton of practice.

I got lucky and found my teacher by picking up a flier. It was a business, not a private teacher, and the owner had found a good group of instructors that had auditioned for the job (my main teacher was a grad of GIT and the other was a self taught neoclassical speed demon). Anyway, I took a couple free classes to check it out and stayed for a couple of years.

The cool thing about lessons is that it shortens the time to learn a concept by direct instruction, rather than trial and error. The downside of that is that trial and error is a really good way to learn, even if it takes longer.

I was fortunate that I got to play with some top notch musicians in a fast paced learning environment. I got to meet a good group of folks that I otherwise wouldn't have met and had a blast the entire time!

r_a_smith3530
February 6th, 2006, 01:49 AM
I've taken lessons from two different guitar instructors. The first was the guitar player for a band that I used to follow. During a break, I asked Steve if he was doing any teaching, and he said yes. I worked with him for about nine months before he moved to Florida. Today he's back in Chicago and teaches full time at the Old Town School of Folk Music.

I found my second guitar instructor quite by accident when I signed my daughter up for piano lessons at the local park district field house. Aside from teaching, he played in a couple of alternative rock bands in Chicago.

Both of these teachers acted more as guides, giving me much leeway in what I was learning. We used music that I liked as examples.

Both of these guys were fantastic, and I would not hesitate for a moment recommending either.

At present, I'm beginning my search for a bass teacher. I need some help with funk rhythms, creation of walking bass lines, and slap/pop.

Tim
February 6th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Warren - I have taken 2 sets of lessons. The first was about 6 years ago. The instructor was wanted money more than teaching me about guitar. He insisted that I learn all theory first. I took lessons for 1 year and was never taught one song. But he was and is a very good guitar player, especially jazz. He also like to show his stuff to keep you hungry. Anyway I dumped him.

Last year I took lessons for about 3 months. He taught me some guitar progression theory and basic scale theory plus 1 song. My job placed me on the road a lot so I had to quite. Now I am just in search of a few good guitar players who like to gather and just jam. This past weekend I was told of a group of players who gather for Bluegrass pickin’. Now I am not partial to Bluegrass music, but then I am getting desperate. Then I was told of a bunch of guys who get together Saturday morning at the local flea market. I will be searching these two groups out.

Iago
February 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I never had lessons, except for a friend that showed me how to tune the guitar, and another one that showed me the intro to Stairway to Heaven :D .

I wish I could find someone to teach me country and jazz..

6STRINGS 9LIVES
February 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM
My experience with lessons has been hit and miss, i've had great technical players for teachers who had no concept about teaching , and i've had average teachers who could communicate the material very well .. the best lessons i've ever had were from a a 60 year old country player , who taught me about right hand ( pick hand ) dynamics , soft , hard , slow , fast , scratch , claw .. it made moe difference to my ability than practicing scales ever did ... he showed me hao to make a single note sound as different as i wanted to make it , it gave me a chance to make my playing more experssive and to find a voice , after all we all play the same notes, chords on the same six strings... 6S9L

Tim
February 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I'm looking for someone just like that 6S9L!

Justaguyin_nc
February 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I think I got to old to allow for help... I can read about it.. practice it.. watch it on DVD lessons but cannot play in front of anyone for the life of me.... This computer is about all that ever hears me.. I can record to it and try to figure if I am getting better or worse.. (Im getting better slowly) .. just no nerve to ask for help in person which is strange because I am not all that shy a guy... The Girlfriend and I have lived together a few years.. she don't even know if I play or not.. lol.. I think she is starting to believe me when I say I don't know how , hearing me when she walks in the house sometimes when its still on.. I don't play in front of her at all... Her adult kids ask me to teach them.. I keep telling them I need to learn myself... offer them DVD's and books.. they think I am holding out on them.. My own adult kids ask me if I played when I was a kid and quit while I raised them... just cause your in your 50's and just started to play people assume you should already know how... 2 1/2 years and counting... is all I know about... and only about 1 year of actually trying.. slowly and surely.. I think the Internet has everything one needs to learn from.. but jam sessions probably teach you things the internet will never get across... ohwell.. we all have our ways... I figure practice is the main thing and the desire to learn.

Katastrophe
February 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Both of these teachers acted more as guides, giving me much leeway in what I was learning. We used music that I liked as examples.

Great point! Mine did the same thing, too. Towards the end, I'd get "homework" assignments to go home and work out a particular song with the concepts we were working on. Lesson time at the school consisted of a lot of jamming. It was really cool, because they had an upstairs area with videos to practice (my favorite was George Lynch). I'd get there an hour early and practice with a video, then have the lesson for an hour or so.

He insisted that I learn all theory first. I took lessons for 1 year and was never taught one song. But he was and is a very good guitar player, especially jazz. He also like to show his stuff to keep you hungry. Anyway I dumped him.

That's fairly typical of more traditional style music teaching from what I've seen. I think a good teacher, regardless of genre, will teach theory along with practical application to specific songs. Theory alone can get VERY dry and boring!

Tim
February 6th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Hey Justaguy,

Stop badgering yourself. From what I have heard in you backing tracks you provide, you sound pretty good. Don’t be so shy with the ax hanging around you neck or in you lap.

I had the same problem playing in front of people. I am not even 1/7 as good as you and play in front of people. As a matter of fact I have taken all the information and instructions I have received from other members on this forum and will be putting it to the test this weekend. I was asked to play guitar in a small praise & worship band this coming weekend. So far I have been told that I sound pretty good. Rhythm playing only from this guy with no leads planed.

Hopefully next week I will give a small review on how I think I did and how all the instructions given play out. After all if we are going to learn to play the guitar, at least we can entertain others by our playing talents or lack there of.

SuperSwede
February 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Tim, it would be very nice to hear you play. Do you think that the worship will be recorded? If so please rip the music and post here ! :)

And Justaguy, I think you are super cool!
Now crank up that amp and show your girlfriend a riff or two, I bet she will like it! :)

warren0728
February 6th, 2006, 03:05 PM
i think i'm going to talk to ron at the musick shack and see if one of his instructors would be good for me...he has some older instructors that have jazz and blues experience. I am making some headway with instruction books and such but i think having someone help me get my hard head around some theory and help guide me (i liked that phrasing r_a) through the music i love.

i'll keep you guys posted.

ww

Tim
February 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Yea Justaguy,

I am with SS, you need to sing your sweetheart a lullaby to get on her good side. She will adore you and also admire your guitars. It’s a good way to spend more time with it ...and her.

My wife wants me to learn fingerpickin. So I say I need to practice more. She tells for me to go for it.

I am sure there are others on this forum with stories on how their guitar playing swept woman off their feet. Let’s keep it clean boys.

Tim
February 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
SS,

I do know they record the speakers. I do not think they record the worship music, but I will check. I am not sure I want to hear myself just yet. I will most likely be shaken in my boots. All I plan on doing is to try and stay with the beat of the song and not strum to early or too late.

There are about 80 songs for the worship leader to choose from. A lot are in “F”, “Bb”, which I am not up to speed on forming quickly. On these songs I try and play every other chord for filler. Those songs have me worried. I will see if I can get the soundman to record one, two or more songs.

SuperSwede
February 7th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Tim, perhaps you should buy a capo. That way songs in F will be as easy for you as songs in E.

Tim
February 7th, 2006, 04:55 AM
I have one, but prefer to play natural. In a way I consider it a crutch. I only use it when my wrist really starts to hurt after I play a lot of barre chords. I have a friend who uses it as much as possible. Sometimes she has it up around the 10 fret. She can’t barre at all. The chords sound so terrible. Then there are times I forget to take it off. Not good, if you know what I mean.

Katastrophe
February 7th, 2006, 07:56 AM
+1 to playing for the GF, justaguy... Just make sure that you learn a song she likes, or a sappy, romantic ballad. You don't even have to play it well, she'll love you for the effort!

I think that's one of the reasons that a lot of guitar players learn in their teens. It sure does impress the ladies...

jpfeifer
February 7th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Hi WW,

I would highly reccomend lessons. I've taken lessons from a number of great instructors over the years. A good instructor is kind of like a coach, more than a teacher. They should point you to the right things to be working on, help you set goals for yourself, and expose you to new concepts that you wouldn't neccesarily find on your own. The real "learning guitar" will come from yourself, but the instructor should help you get there faster and point you down the right path.

The best way to find an instructor is through word of mouth mostly. There are a lot of instructors who might look impressive on their resume but they may not be the best instructors. Unfortunately, there are a lot of players out there who teach guitar as a sideline because it's steady income, but they may not be all that interested in being a good teacher. Find those instructors who are genuine about helping their students become better players. I would reccomend asking around at your local music stores and see if these instructors have any references that you could talk to first. Also, try to find an instructor who can teach you the kinds of styles that you want to work on wether that would be metal, blues, jazz, fingerstyle, etc.

Or, see if the instructor will let you take some trial lessons to see if they are the right kind of instructor for you. You can tell a lot by the first few lessons. Does the instructor actually listen to you play first to guage your skill level and interests or does he launch into his "one size fits all" style of instructing. You want someone who will work with you focus on where you're at, and where you want to go. Does the guy simply play not stop for the whole lesson and never ask you to interact with him or play anything? This is also a sign of a bad instructor. You want someone to engage you in YOUR playing, and help you work on stuff to improve based on your current level.

I hope this helps, -- Jim

warren0728
February 7th, 2006, 11:01 AM
jim,

very good points. I think i am going to give lessons a go. I have a friend (ron) who owns a music store and am going to get his input on instructors. He has several instructors inhouse but he's the kind of guy who would tell me straight out if his guys are for me or not....and if not recommend someone else! He has been in the biz his entire life....working for his dad in his music store first and then starting his own shop.

ww

SuperSwede
February 7th, 2006, 02:38 PM
His shop seemed really nice!