PDA

View Full Version : Ive_been_living_under_a_rock!

Big_Rob
July 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I just found out about Wes Montgomery. OMG!!! WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING??? :eek:

Wes Montgomery - Round Midnight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAtNJdnaEGY

guitartist
July 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Yep, he's one of the greats! If you haven't heard "Smokin' At the Half Note" I highly recommend it, its a classic. He's influenced my playing a bit, especially his use of octaves.

His early stuff was GREAT - his later recordings (from the mid 60s on) with A & M though tend to be a lot more pop-sh and overproduced (although he did record a lot of interesting covers during that time). Just something to keep in mind if you seek out some of his cds.

rkwrenn
July 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Also, Wes played by ear. He could not read music at all. Amazing!

Cheers,

Bob

Big_Rob
July 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Also, Wes played by ear. He could not read music at all. Amazing!

Cheers,

Bob

Truly amazing

333maxwell
July 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM
Truly amazing

One thing about Wes..

Folks purchase their expensivfe archtops these days, and oft use him as an example of why they need one..

Wes was quoted as saying that he never got to attached to any box (guitar) because that way if it got lost or stolen, he could borrow another without being confined to the need or securitys for a particular type of box (guitar).

He also rolled his treble on his guitar all the way down and prefered the neck pup... or so I have been told.

Good stuff indeed!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=676362

jpfeifer
July 31st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Wes, is one of my favorite players.

When you listen to him you can see how he influenced almost every modern Jazz guitar player that came after him, George Benson being the most obvious example. Pat Metheny was also a big Wes Montgomery fan as well as Lee Ritenour, you can hear his style in their playing.

I think that the thing that sets Wes Montgomery apart was his beautiful tone, and bluesy feel along with his whole octave thing. I didn't realize that there were clips of him on Youtube. Thanks for sending these along! This is great!

-- Jim

R_of_G
July 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM
You can add Charlie Hunter to the list of guitarists influenced by Montgomery. Welcome out from under the rock, Wes rules.