PDA

View Full Version : Dillion Guitars?

r_a_smith3530
February 5th, 2006, 01:56 AM
What do you think of these? There's this beautiful Dillion Paul clone guitar hanging at a local shop. It looks quite beautiful, with inlay work on the fretboard and binding, and is reasonably priced.

Does anyone own one of these, and if so, how would you compare it?

Spudman
February 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM
RA
I've got a Dillion Fat tele with maple neck and black pearl finish. Very good guitar. Most that I've heard is that they are quality instruments. If the price is $300 or less you're probably in good shape if the axe is in good shape. Otherwise I would look into an Agile from Rondo Music www.rondomusic.net. I've had 2 Agiles and they are on par with Dillion in my opinion.

r_a_smith3530
February 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM
This particular guitar is going for $500.00, but it has a very fancy top (Koa I believe) and one of the most beautiful inlaid fretboards that I have ever seen. It also has real abalone binding on the face. I didn't get a chance to plug it in, but it featured real Grover Imperial tuners and what appeared to be a bone nut.

To me, these are indications of quality. That combined with the fact that it weighed about as much as my LP Studio. Unplugged, it seemed to have plenty of sustain.

Spudman
February 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Wow! That sounds worth drooling over. $500 for a decent LP isn't that much especially one with finish and trim that nice. What cha gonna do?

EscalonJon
February 10th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Dillions are great!

I have a tele thinline clone, it was so good out of the box, I have never had to do anything to it. It's a nice axe. I also have a Dillion PRS Hollowbody clone, that I have modified with DiMarzios, Tone Pros studs and adjustable bridge, Grover locking tuners, coil tap electronics. It's fantastic except the DiMarzios are a bit hot.

Bottom line, I think the fancy L.P. clone would probably make you pretty happy.

(Check out the Agiles, too)

Good luck with whatever you decide. Dillions and Agiles are bang for the bux.

Nelskie
February 11th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I have a buddy who has a Dillion LP copy, and I thought it played very nicely. Had a sunburst flamed maple top, and a nice inlaid, bound neck. I think he paid around $275 for it on Ebay. Comparable to my own Epi LP - hmmm, tough question. Overall, I think the build quality and overall feel is there with Dillion. The factory p'ups seemed a little flat, though, which is easy enough to change. As most of us already know, these days it doesn't take a boatload of cash to get into a decent axe. At (5) Benjamins, it sounds like a pretty good deal, esp. with the features you've described.

r_a_smith3530
February 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Well, the guitar I saw is called the DLExtreme.

http://www.dillionguitars.com/guitar/electric/DL/DLXtrem/index.html

The one I looked at was finished like this:

http://www.dillionguitars.com/guitar/electric/DL/DLXtrem/DLExt-oak.JPG

Spudman
February 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Dang! That's a cute one. Looks like a keeper. Nice art.

r_a_smith3530
February 12th, 2006, 10:49 PM
My only problem Spud is justification. I can't see getting rid of a genuine Gibson Les Paul to get it, and I can't justify the need for it to the other half. Oh doesn't G.A.S. just suck???!!!