PDA

View Full Version : Fullerton wiring question

tjcurtin1
July 31st, 2007, 08:50 PM
IN the process of replacing the selector switch on my Fully strat, I noticed that, unlike the wiring for a Fender strat (as seen in wiring diagrams) the Fully has the capacitor soldered onto the mid tone control rather than the neck tone control. Is this an error that I should fix by switching it? How will it affect the sound? I know that in the standard strat wiring the tone controls are in parrallel, so maybe it doesn't make any difference which one carries the capacitor? I've actually modified the wiring so that the mid control works instead with the bridge and bridge/middle positions, as suggested by several modders I've read. In this case, the tone controls are no longer in parrallel, so does that make a difference?

Thx,

Ted

WackyT
August 1st, 2007, 05:57 AM
My Fully's pots were wired backwards when I got her. I tore her all apart and wired her up by this:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/stratinnards.gif

and everything works great!

chordshredder
August 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
TJ
Since the Mid and Neck are tied together at the point where the hot leg is, the ground side of the capacitor can go either to the mid pot case ground or neck pot case ground. Its a little confusing because the mid and neck pots are rotated terminals facing each other to reduce lead length. But notice the center and right hand terminals are used on both so that they increase/decrease resistance when turned in the same direction.

You could break the wire connecting the two and use tow individual capactors values ranging from .022 to .1uf picked for each individual pickup by listening to them when connected to clip leads.

Or you could use the bottom pot as a mixer to add in the bridge PU.

Sounds like you have already connected the unused bridge terminal on the tone side of the switch to the middle terminal. BTW different types of capacitors do sound different and sometimes the cheaper ones do sound better, not what I expected.

Have you guys tried different caps or anything not the norm, if so what did you do and did you like the results?

tjcurtin1
August 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks, guys - it's great to have access to such knowledgeable help!

Ted :)