PDA

View Full Version : GFS pickups and reverse winding

tjcurtin1
August 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
What does anyone know about reverse wound middle pickups as featured in some GFS sets? This is the case with the Vintage set I put in my Fully strat; they advertise it as acting as giving a humbucker effect in the two-pickup settings. I've also read that this arrangement provides 'funky 70's sounds'.... How common is this on true strats? If I reverse-wire that middle pickup, what will happen, what kind of sound change can I expect? Indeed, in those combined positions as it stands, the sound is muted, or has less edge.

duhvoodooman
August 2nd, 2007, 05:14 AM
It is pretty much standard practice these days with 3 single coil pickup sets for the middle pickup to be reverse wound and reverse polarity (RWRP). AFAIK, most Fender SSS Strats since the mid-80's have been outfitted this way, with the notable exception of vintage reissue models.

As you have indicated, this arrangement allows the combination of the middle p'up with either of the other two to be hum-cancelling, while still keeping the pickups in phase with each other. The "funky 70's sounds" thing refers to the characteristic sound you get from these two-pickup combos, which suppress the lower midrange frequencies and accentuate the upper midrange to give a bit thinner sound with a somewhat hollow character. It's often referred to as "Strat quack", and (IMO) it's a good thing. Think Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing.

If you reverse the wiring, the middle will be out of phase with the other two pickups, resulting in a VERY thin, trebly tone with much reduced volume. I very much doubt that you'd like it--few do.