PDA

View Full Version : Learning To Use Foot pedals

Tim
August 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Being new to using foot pedals, I am trying to figure out the proper settings for two of my foot pedals. I have the Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo and the Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5. I cannot find a simple setting for either pedal.

I have read many posts on this site, which talk about using effects during recording or live performances. The problem is no actual settings are mentioned. The normal statement is that the User ads a tab of Delay or a touch of Chorus. I am having a difficult time understanding how much to dial in. It like a cook stating to add a dash of salt. How big is a dash?

I understand the Delay/Echo pedal works with settings of milliseconds but I can not find a nice “filler” setting for when I am playing rhythm. Are rhythm settings different from solo setting? Using the 3 controls (Time, Repeat & level) is confusing to me.

Regarding the Boss CE-5, I am trying to find a nice waterfall type setting for playing arpeggio type chords. Here again the 3 controls hinder me finding a nice chorus setting.

I use my Squire Deluxe Custom Tele with humbucker pups. I am not sure if using single coil pups makes a difference in the final tone outcome.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Justaguyin_nc
August 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Being new to using foot pedals, I am trying to figure out the proper settings for two of my foot pedals. I have the Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo

It like a cook stating to add a dash of salt. How big is a dash?

I understand the Delay/Echo pedal works with settings of milliseconds but I can not find a nice “filler” setting for when I am playing rhythm. Are rhythm settings different from solo setting? Using the 3 controls (Time, Repeat & level) is confusing to me.

Hi Tim, I don't have the Boss Chorus, but I do have a few of those Ibanez DE-7 pedals.. I think the part above about being a cook is just about right though. It's all in what you want out of the sound.
Please bear with me..
Every song has it's own type Delay or Chorus or Echo etc. etc. depending on what the artist intends for it to sound like. There is so many different ways to set it to what your end result is in wanting. imho.

On the Ibanez as you mentioned it has three dials. Time, repeat and level.. The time is obviously what millisecond delay will be used. you also have a switch with three ranges there.. quick 30-160, medium 160-480 and long 480-2600 ms. messing with each will give you an idea how quick to long the delays will pop back at you.. Again depending on the covers your attempting to copy or the result you which to obtain is what you will set this to..

for instance.. I like pink floyd.. gilmour stays in the 310-380ms area mainly.. (something you have to search out on the net if you can't hear it in your ear i guess)..

You have a repeat control.. this will let you set how many times that note or chord is going to bunce back at you.. again.will depend on what you want to accomplish and sounds good to you unless you find a setting for some cover song.

The level is how loud you will hear it comming back at you or the volume of the delayed tone comming back at you actually.

The Echo works the same except it well, its an echo..not a digital delay.. you hear the difference echoing.. just for an example..I like leaving mine set 12:00, 10:00, 10:00.. but adjust it to suit the speed or sound I want in a song.. sometimes its just to much for what I want..(which for me it all sucks anyways..lol)

Using those settings... 12,10,10 click thru with the range switch...strum and hear the difference.. from there find the one closest to your liking and adjust the knobs for exact time,repeat and level..for the sound you wish to obtain.

Now what I have found is it's tough leaving one delay on for solos and rhythm.. Alot of solos want that bounce back effect while in rhythm you want it to more or less blend just a bit to make it fuller.. so I guess I am saying quicker ms delay for rhythm and longer for solos.. but.. again, thats all on what effect you want to obtain. You could set a delay to the beat of the music and have it repeat every chord you strummed right after you.
If you watched that crossroads07.. Robert Cray played a solo with himself in one song.. very long delay.. he would play a riff.. wait for it to comback at him and play another.. was awesome to me.. but that was soloing.. who knows what it would have sounded like through the whole song.. you also seen him click it on and off..

here is a link to a pretty good and basic delay explanation and examples which I hope helps as I probably didnt..lol

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Delay/

sunvalleylaw
August 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Tim-When I am using the CE-5, I tend to default to level at noon, the rest of the dials, including both filter dials, at about 2:00. That gives me a sound I like and what I would call a touch of chorus. All dials straight up isn't quite enough of a "touch" for me. But chorus sounds can be shaped a lot according to taste, so I would just play around. I do sometimes starting from my "default" chorus settings I use above. I have not tried to do a waterfall type sound for arpeggio type chords so can't really help there, other than to suggest you play with the rate dial esp., then the depth, to get a sound you like. I have not really figured out the high and low filter yet.
Being new to using foot pedals, I am trying to figure out the proper settings for two of my foot pedals. I have the Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo and the Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5. I cannot find a simple setting for either pedal.

I have read many posts on this site, which talk about using effects during recording or live performances. The problem is no actual settings are mentioned. The normal statement is that the User ads a tab of Delay or a touch of Chorus. I am having a difficult time understanding how much to dial in. It like a cook stating to add a dash of salt. How big is a dash?

Regarding the Boss CE-5, I am trying to find a nice waterfall type setting for playing arpeggio type chords. Here again the 3 controls hinder me finding a nice chorus setting.

I use my Squire Deluxe Custom Tele with humbucker pups. I am not sure if using single coil pups makes a difference in the final tone outcome.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tim
August 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Justa - believe me your reply post helped me out a lot. I have a better understanding of the three controls and also that there is a difference between playing rhythm and soloing. Since I am still struggling with soloing, I will stick with finding a nice filler type Delay. The article from Harmony Central helped with understanding the different millisecond settings and what they actually do.

I attempted to find a similar article for chorus, but could not find the correct link. I was continuously sent over to the chorus review of the product sections. Can you provide the lick for the chorus explanation?

Thanks!

Justaguyin_nc
August 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
here is the article for chorus tim.. from Harmony Central..

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Chorus/

and the main page to Effects explained:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/effects-explained.html

Tim
August 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Thank you Sir Justaguy, defender of the magnificent land of North Carolina.

Yea, I have been watching “Night at the Museum”.

Justaguyin_nc
August 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Thank you Sir Justaguy, defender of the magnificent land of North Carolina.

Yea, I have been watching “Night at the Museum”.

you are welcome my fellow spartan!
Today is a glorious day to die!!

Yeah, I have been watching "300"

Tim
August 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Tim-When I am using the CE-5, I tend to default to level at noon, the rest of the dials, including both filter dials, at about 2:00. That gives me a sound I like and what I would call a touch of chorus. All dials straight up isn't quite enough of a "touch" for me. But chorus sounds can be shaped a lot according to taste, so I would just play around. I do sometimes starting from my "default" chorus settings I use above. I have not tried to do a waterfall type sound for arpeggio type chords so can't really help there, other than to suggest you play with the rate dial esp., then the depth, to get a sound you like. I have not really figured out the high and low filter yet.

Thanks Steve - I will experiment with your suggestions tonight.

SuperSwede
August 4th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Hey Tim, I think that chorus works best when you keep the intensity and speed low, for me 8-9 o´clock sounds best. Its lifts the sound without adding too much modulation. I recorded a small file for you with the analog chorus on the PodXT (basically the same chorus ensemble as you have).

http://www.box.net/shared/ba32dm4nn8

250Keith
August 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Nice SS

Tim
August 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hey Tim, I think that chorus works best when you keep the intensity and speed low, for me 8-9 o´clock sounds best. Its lifts the sound without adding too much modulation. I recorded a small file for you with the analog chorus on the PodXT (basically the same chorus ensemble as you have).

Thanks SS. That is the sound I am looking for. Unfortunately when the dials are at the 8:00 position, they are the lowest setting. I believe your intensity and speed would be the same as my rate and depth. I will note the numerical settings and try to transpose them to the Boss CE-5. Thanks for the effort of helping.

SuperSwede
August 4th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, intensity and depth should be kept rather low. I did the same with my CE-5 when I had one. Just enough to "lift" the sound imho.