PDA

View Full Version : Gonna see 3 hotshot guitarists tonight....

duhvoodooman
August 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
....when my son and I catch the Allman Brothers Band playing with the North Mississippi Allstars at the Sartoga Performing Arts Center, just north of here. In addition to Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks of the ABB, the Allstars feature Luther Dickinson on guitar and vocals, who I haven't heard that much of, but is reputed to be very, very good. Should be a good show! More on this tomorrow.... :DR :R :DR

250Keith
August 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I think it was last year at the blues fest in Portland OR I went and seen John Haitt The all stars were travaling with John thay are a very good band.
have a good time and please give a report :DR
Keith.

helliott
August 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
We saw ABB in Niagara Falls last year and if it's anything like that, you're in for a real treat, especially for a guitar nut. We're going back to see them again in a couple of weeks, this time at Darien Lake with RatDog. Looking forward to that, too.

guitartist
August 6th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I haven't seen the ABB since Derek Trucks joined them - you KNOW that's going to sound fantastic! I've seen the ABB a bunch with Warren Haynes & Dickey Betts, and they were always incrdible shows. I've seen Warren also a couple of times with Government Mule, the Dead (which was INCREDIBLE), and a weird acoustic performance with Kevin Kinney of Drivin' & Cryin'. Warren Haynes is one of the best!

Got a Derek Trucks band cd earlier this summer and its great, gotta check more of his stuff out, and see him live one of these days. (actually I think I saw him jam with the ABB once for a song or two, but that was about 15 years ago or so probably).

I saw the North Mississippi All-Stars open up for Buddy Guy a few years ago, they sounded great! They had a very Junior Kimbrough-ish sound as I recall... that middle of the night, whiskey drinkin', slow-funk rhythm kind of vibe to their sound. I was just reading up some on Luther Dickinson, since I didn't know anything about him (didn't even know his name). Turns out his dad, Jim, played piano on the Stones' "Wild Horses" . I'm a nut for the Stones and thought I knew of all their different keyboardists, but he's a new one on me. (and he also played piano on the Flamin Groovies' album "Teenage Head", which is a cd I've been looking for for the past few months...guess I'm going to have to order it).

Sounds like you are in for a great show tonight!

duhvoodooman
August 6th, 2007, 04:00 PM
GREAT SHOW!! Unfortunately, we arrived a bit late and the North Mississippi Allstars were almost done with their set. Only caught two of their tunes, but Luther Dickinson came out and did two numbers with the ABB, so that compensated nicely!

Gregg sounded the best that I've heard him in the last three ABB shows I've seen, and Warren & Derek tore it up, as expected. Here's the set list:

Don't Want You No More
It's Not My Cross To Bear
Wasted Words
Statesboro Blues
Rocking Horse
High Cost Of Low Living
Gambler's Roll
Stand Back
The Same Thing*
Come On In My Kitchen**
Highway 61 Revisited**
Dreams To Remember
No One To Run With
Black Hearted Woman

Encore: Jessica

* w/ Cody Dickinson - Drums
** w/ Luther Dickinson - Guitar

High points for me were the first two songs (took me back to summer of '69, when I first heard their inaugural album), Highway '61 Revisited (three smokin' guitarists trading hot licks), Black Hearted Woman (with an extended percussion interlude) and a GREAT version of Jessica for the encore.

We had fantastic seats--front row of the balcony--with a superb view of the band. I brought my binoculars along, so that I could zoom in on those flying fingers! My son really enjoyed it, too--God bless him for apprciating "the classics"!

sunvalleylaw
August 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a great father/son time. I am glad to see many teens etc. getting into classic sounds around here.

helliott
August 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Wow. I'm totally pumped now for the show Aug. 19. Haynes and Trucks on fire, and if Greg is in good voice, look out! Black Hearted Woman is a fave. My son and his singer are drooling to see these guys. Sounds like you saw a great show. Did Warren play lost of slide as well as Derek?

duhvoodooman
August 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Warren played a bit of slide, but mostly deferred to Derek on that. Plus, Dickinson played slide on the two numbers he did with the Bros., so there was plenty of fine slide playing on tap....

warren0728
August 9th, 2007, 11:33 AM
you can't go wrong with abb and derek trucks...you just can't!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
August 10th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Cool ABB & Derek! Great stuff.