PDA

View Full Version : The Wind Cries Mary

stingx
August 6th, 2007, 07:45 AM
This may be a bit boomy sounding but I like the sorta vintage sound that was captured. I get a little much on the "Mary" when singing too but it's how I like to sing it. I try not too but then it feels forced so I just figure "oh well". I also chose not to do a note for note solo and added by own improv to it.

What was used? Fender JV Strat into the Peavey C30. Mic'ed with a Shure Beta 57A and direct into the Zoom MRS-8 multitracker. Mastered in Cubase using Ozone 3.

http://www.box.net/shared/g98pjnbndo

Spudman
August 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Pretty cool job on this one. Your voice sounds great for the song. I've heard other people try to do it and they sounded like Robert Goulet. You don't. And I agree with not doing the solo note for note. What would be the point? It's already been done. It should be a time for freedom of expression.

zeusse
August 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah what Spudman said......fabulous stingX....note for note is cool but I like to hear somebodys real soul come out and you got soul brother:R

Justaguyin_nc
August 6th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Darn good Stingx..applause.. besides the playing.. your vocals.. not rushed.. sounded excellent.. was it the ozone that added the warmth.. sounds like a very good echo,delay,verb going on there.. very warm!

applause!

Justaguyin_nc
August 6th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Wow, after hearing this version from stingx.. I went in search of what Jimi was thinking when it was made..
good ole wikipedia comes through: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Cries_Mary
A pretty good read: interview from gurlfriend here:
http://www.thehendrixcollection.gobot.com/contact.html
Thanks for inspiring the look up stingx!

stingx
August 6th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Thank you for the very nice comments :)

Justaguy, I believe I used Ozone on the individual tracks for flavor. On vocals I think the preset used was vocal specific. After mixing down to one stereo track, I then import back into Cubase for mastering and here I use a little VST Vintage Warmer + Ozone (preset is commercial Vinyl - for an appropriate approximation of the era).

250Keith
August 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Thank you for the very nice comments :)

Justaguy, I believe I used Ozone on the individual tracks for flavor. On vocals I think the preset used was vocal specific. After mixing down to one stereo track, I then import back into Cubase for mastering and here I use a little VST Vintage Warmer + Ozone (preset is commercial Vinyl - for an appropriate approximation of the era).

(Cave Man Voice) AH What!:rolleyes:

I love reading this stuff, it's like reading a chinese menu, really though It gives me something to look up and learn.
I think I would have a hard time posting a picture, let a lone posting a clip.
I applaud you all good job.
Keith.

M29
August 6th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Very nice indeed stingx your voice fits very well and this is a tough one to do. The tone on your JV sounds sweet and the recording sounds nice and open.

M29

sunvalleylaw
August 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Excellent Pete! I liked your vocals, liked your solo, and always like your rythym playing and tone of your JV. Well Done!

ted s
August 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Another beauti !

helliott
August 6th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Ditto to all this. But your vocals are really great here, so don't seel yerself short. Great inflection.

SuperSwede
August 7th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Pete, dang you really can sing! Very very good :)
Perhaps you could post a pic of the Classic30 settings?

Lev
August 7th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Really has the 'feel' of the original without being a copy cat performance - well done!

Pickngrin
August 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Good stuff, Stingx! I like the 'boominess' of the track, too.