PDA

View Full Version : Bottled Water

Tone2TheBone
August 6th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Do you? So it's tap water huh? But wouldn't tap water somewhere else be better than the tap water you have at home? Or maybe it's worse? What about all those empty bottles that are thrown away. Would filtering water like say inside your refrigerator or under the sink to your faucet be "good enough". What exactly IS good enough?

t_ross33
August 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Bottled water is becoming more and more popular in Saskatchewan, as it is everywhere. There are some major eco-environmental issues with the industry as a whole that haven't been addressed yet. Major softdrink companies are setting up shop near fresh water sources in underdeveloped and third-world countries. On the surface it's seen as a plus as it potentially employs local labour, thus improving the local economy, but they are also monopolizing access to those fresh water sources, affecting local agriculture and sustainance farming, which inturn creates a dependance on purchasing food grown/processed elsewhere.

We take water for granted, especially in Canada where there is supposed to be an abundance. Access to fresh water is a basic human necessity. We need to be careful how we proceed with the "manufacture" and supply of such a precious commodity.

Back to the question: I would think that filtered water from your local supply would be fine, though I do buy bottled water for the sake of convenience and as an alternative to soft drinks.

Trev

Tone2TheBone
August 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Bottled water is becoming more and more popular in Saskatchewan, as it is everywhere. There are some major eco-environmental issues with the industry as a whole that haven't been addressed yet. Major softdrink companies are setting up shop near fresh water sources in underdeveloped and third-world countries. On the surface it's seen as a plus as it potentially employs local labour, thus improving the local economy, but they are also monopolizing access to those fresh water sources, affecting local agriculture and sustainance farming, which inturn creates a dependance on purchasing food grown/processed elsewhere.

We take water for granted, especially in Canada where there is supposed to be an abundance. Access to fresh water is a basic human necessity. We need to be careful how we proceed with the "manufacture" and supply of such a precious commodity.

Back to the question: I would think that filtered water from your local supply would be fine, though I do buy bottled water for the sake of convenience and as an alternative to soft drinks.

Trev

Really really good reply thanks Trev. Yeah I understand the implications but we too buy it for convenience and as an alternative to soft drinks just as you've mentioned. During the summers down here it gets wicked hot and so we go through cases of the stuff. I kinda feel bad about generating so much plastic trash though.

t_ross33
August 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Really really good reply thanks Trev. Yeah I understand the implications but we too buy it for convenience and as an alternative to soft drinks just as you've mentioned. During the summers down here it gets wicked hot and so we go through cases of the stuff. I kinda feel bad about generating so much plastic trash though.

Are plastic bottles refundable or accepted in your local recycling programs (if available)? They are here. It helps keep it out of the landfill.

Tone2TheBone
August 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Are plastic bottles refundable or accepted in your local recycling programs (if available)? They are here. It helps keep it out of the landfill.

We have a plastics only recycle bin here at work so I'm sure we have some kind of system for recycling in the city. I'll find out where we need to take them and start doing that.

Bloozcat
August 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Some of the big bottled water producers like Coca-Cola and Pepsi have finally admitted that they're just selling filtered utility service water. Anyone can do that themselves, so why buy bottled?

I'm on a well where I live. I designed and put together my own system for treating the water. The last thing in line is a reverse osmosis unit under the sink in my kitchen that produces water that is just short of distilled in purity.

Our area is scheduled to get county utilities water in the next year, so I'll be saying good-bye to well water for the house, except for my irrigation system. I won't miss the hassle of maintaining my treatment system, that's for sure. One thing I will be keeping when the new water comes in though, and that's my whole house carbon filter. So, as treated as the water will be, it'll get an extra treatment to remove the chlorine, amomia, and who know what else that's used in utility water. So in effect, my water won't be any different from Desani or Aquafina.

sunvalleylaw
August 6th, 2007, 11:15 AM
We drink it some out of convenience, but are on good well water so I try not to. The local city water is excellent too. What bottles do any of you use for your own water? I understand Nalgene has its problems, as do the softer bike type bottles, and you are not supposed to re-use those pre-filled ones too. So what is one to do?

Bloozcat
August 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM
We drink it some out of convenience, but are on good well water so I try not to. The local city water is excellent too. What bottles do any of you use for your own water? I understand Nalgene has its problems, as do the softer bike type bottles, and you are not supposed to re-use those pre-filled ones too. So what is one to do?

I'm not opposed to drinking bottled water altogether. When I'm out somewhere and I'm thirsty, I buy bottled water. It sure beats chlorinated utility water for taste.

I think it's the Nalgene polycarbonate bottles that are supposed to leach chemicals into the water. I have some one gallon Rubbermaid plastic water bottles at home that work great. No plastic taste issues with them...although I don't let the bottles sit around in the sun with water in them. I've got some Rubbermaid 20 oz. bottles made of the same plastic, and they're good too. And then there's the good old GI plastic canteens....again they're ok as long as they don't get hot.

pie_man_25
August 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I don't bother with bottled water, my opinion is that althought it is cleaner, some of the pollutants your body actually needs to keep alive, and besides, you drink water to keep from being thirsty, not to taste it, plus tap is cheaper and faster.

Big_Rob
August 6th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Watch the Penn and Teller episode of Bulls**t! about bottled water for a real surprise.

Tone2TheBone
August 6th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I'm not opposed to drinking bottled water altogether. When I'm out somewhere and I'm thirsty, I buy bottled water. It sure beats chlorinated utility water for taste.

I think it's the Nalgene polycarbonate bottles that are supposed to leach chemicals into the water. I have some one gallon Rubbermaid plastic water bottles at home that work great. No plastic taste issues with them...although I don't let the bottles sit around in the sun with water in them. I've got some Rubbermaid 20 oz. bottles made of the same plastic, and they're good too. And then there's the good old GI plastic canteens....again they're ok as long as they don't get hot.

Question: What happens to water inside bottle water if it gets hot? Or is this about something else....

guitartist
August 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I drink a lot of bottled water. Growing up in the suburbs of Atlanta, the tap water tasted so good... but when I moved into the city there was noticeable difference in taste.

A guy I used to know, the bass player in a band I was in about 15 years ago, worked for the Atlanta Water works. Sounds like he had the easiest job in the world, he said he would usually sleep or read at work, or sometimes take an acoustic guitar with him to work and play while he was on the clockl (he worked the graveyard shift). He would also do a lot of drugs at work...and do you know what happened to him? He got a big promotion!

So now I understand why Atlanta city water tastes the way it does....I'll stick to bottled water, thank you, even if it is an overpriced sham.

Spudman
August 6th, 2007, 11:10 PM
This is a really big controversy right now. Lots of issues with bottled water. NPR - National Public Radio - did a segment on it just 2 weeks ago. Conclusion - unless your local supply is contaminated drink the local water. I think you can listen to the program by going to the NPR web site (npr.org) and searching for the story. Very enlightening as they have people from both sides of the issue.

That said...the only time I drink (drank) bottled water was at my wedding. Otherwise, it's always the tap for me. Less impact and immediate gratification...because...that's rock-n-roll.:)

Bloozcat
August 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Question: What happens to water inside bottle water if it gets hot? Or is this about something else....

I believe that there's a temperature where certain plastics begin to break down. I've had experiences with plastic bottles that were fine when filled with cold water and kept that way, and the same bottle that when it and the water inside got hot, the water had a plastic taste to it. Anyone who's ever had the "pleasure" of drinking water from a GI plastic canteen after slogging around with it in 90 degree plus heat, knows what I mean. The water just tastes like plastic...and that has to be because the plastic is somehow transfering that to the water.

One of the warnings about bottled water pertains to the problem of the plastic breaking down. Bottled water isn't always stored in cool places, and here in Florida, it's practically guaranteed that it's been exposed to heat at least somewhere after it was bottled. When I see those Coca-Cola and Pepsi delivery trucks loaded with their Desani and Aqufina bottled water in the back at this time of year, I know that water is getting hot.

duhvoodooman
August 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
The environmental considerations are important, no doubt. But I've never liked bottled water 'CUZ I'M CHEAP AND IT COMES OUTTA THE TAP FOR FREE!! :mad: :D

Bloozcat
August 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
One of my favorite TV commercials (there are a couple), is one where two guys and a girl are out camping/hiking in the woods. As they are by a stream getting some water and enjoying the pristine beauty around them, one of the guys has this epiphany, and says something like:

"We could bottle this and sell it to people."

To which his friend answers:

"Who'd buy water? Water is free, man."

And the rest, as they say, is history. I only wish I'd have thought of it and had that kind of blind belief that it must have taken to sell the concept.

LagrangeCalvert
August 13th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I take it fishing and camping time to time as I had a bad case of the runs and pukes from a stream when younger. If its an extended visit (like a 2-4 week sojourn) that I do once a year I use my fathers method of clensing the water. Boil for 15 minutes and run through a CLEAN bandanna or sock a few times before hand. Other than that its like this: Tap/Britta/mouth/urine. Cincinnati has some of the best filtration and decontamination gear in the country....but it still has that tinge to it, so I use a britta filter on my tap water.

Its a big waste to me....a lot of man hours go into "making" water. Now sending bottled water to a third world country is like putting a band aid on a slit throat. If you live where the land is barren, move and stop making babies if you cannot feed them. Wear a condom and dig wells where crops actually grow, or go back to being hunter gather nomads ya dummies!

As far as us blessed to have water, virgin forests, decent infrastructure/govt. and half a brain......bottled water is useless and a scam people.

Bloozcat
August 13th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I take it fishing and camping time to time as I had a bad case of the runs and pukes from a stream when younger. If its an extended visit (like a 2-4 week sojourn) that I do once a year I use my fathers method of clensing the water. Boil for 15 minutes and run through a CLEAN bandanna or sock a few times before hand. Other than that its like this: Tap/Britta/mouth/urine. Cincinnati has some of the best filtration and decontamination gear in the country....but it still has that tinge to it, so I use a britta filter on my tap water.

Its a big waste to me....a lot of man hours go into "making" water. Now sending bottled water to a third world country is like putting a band aid on a slit throat. If you live where the land is barren, move and stop making babies if you cannot feed them. Wear a condom and dig wells where crops actually grow, or go back to being hunter gather nomads ya dummies!

As far as us blessed to have water, virgin forests, decent infrastructure/govt. and half a brain......bottled water is useless and a scam people.

A great, lightweight solution to you camping water needs...
http://campmor.stores.yahoo.net/81870.html

They works very well...

tot_Ou_tard
August 13th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Trev
Not to mention the shipping costs on the enviroment!

I use a brita filter, but will buy bottled water for a road trip or a day out etc.

Spudman
August 13th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Here are some other options. http://www.rei.com/category/4500461
I've used the katadyn hiker for many many years with no problems. Getting giardia is the pits.

Tim
August 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Not to mention the shipping costs on the enviroment!

I use a brita filter, but will buy bottled water for a road trip or a day out etc.

I am thinking about purchasing a filtering system for the kitchen sink. Then maybe every 4 months or so buy a case of water, but in between cases I would clean and refill the empties with home filtered water. I am not too sure on which system to buy nor if certain systems can be installed buy the home buyer.

Bloozcat
August 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a filtering system for the kitchen sink. Then maybe every 4 months or so buy a case of water, but in between cases I would clean and refill the empties with home filtered water. I am not too sure on which system to buy nor if certain systems can be installed buy the home buyer.

I bought an under sink reverse osmosis unit from EcoWater Systems about 4 years ago, and it works great. Here's some info on a unit that looks identical to mine for $199.00.
http://www.yourwaterneeds.com/DW_WIN445.asp

ETA: I installed it myself, and I don't think it's beyond the skills of most home owners who've done any light plumbing and repairs around their homes.

Spudman
August 13th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Tim

I've been using one of these faucet mounts for the last 8 years. http://www.purwaterfilter.com/faucetmounted.html
They work great and are cheap as all get out. I found some of the replacement filter elements at a Big Lots store for about $5 each and bought a lot of them so I think if you look around you can find the same deals as well.

The units can be found at almost any of your big box retailers (Kmart, Walmart etc.)

Tone2TheBone
August 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Tim

I've been using one of these faucet mounts for the last 8 years. http://www.purwaterfilter.com/faucetmounted.html
They work great and are cheap as all get out. I found some of the replacement filter elements at a Big Lots store for about $5 each and bought a lot of them so I think if you look around you can find the same deals as well.

The units can be found at almost any of your big box retailers (Kmart, Walmart etc.)

Yeah now that's more reasonably priced. Thanks for posting that Voo.

Mark
August 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I bought an under sink reverse osmosis unit from EcoWater Systems about 4 years ago, and it works great. Here's some info on a unit that looks identical to mine for $199.00.
http://www.yourwaterneeds.com/DW_WIN445.asp

ETA: I installed it myself, and I don't think it's beyond the skills of most home owners who've done any light plumbing and repairs around their homes.

Ok let me just warn you on these, they work..yes...BUT! Being in the Plumbing business for 20+years let me educate you. Most of these systems use plastic fittings and tubing I cannot tell you how many FLOODED houses I have been to because of these, if fact I went to one this past friday. If they would just use brass and copper...but they dont. Since I own my own Plumbing Company and I can take the hit liability wise, I ALWAYS have people sign a waiver BEFORE I install one, I dont even sell them but if the customer buys one and wants it installed that is my policy. If I cant talk you out of it!! If you own one INSPECT it frequently!!! If it makes it to 4-5 years old buy a new one....... WHY??? The plastic gets brittle stresses and fails then you get a flooded house!

Do it your self tip: Cardinal rule in Plumbing NEVER screw a metal male fitting INTO a female threaded plastic fitting. NPT pipe threads are tapered the metal into the plastic STRESSES IT.....it is going to crack as sure as you are reading this. Maybe not today or next week but it will in time, trust me I have been doing this a long time!! Plastic INTO metal always. many of the kits have cheap parts and you must be very careful to not overtorque plastic fittings.

I generally recommend the Brita or the faucet mounted types also many refridgerators have a filters for the water dispenser this is what I have and it does fine. Bottled water???? I refuse to pay for it plus half these companies are running tap water through a filter...if your lucky and selling it, also many of the bottled waters when tested have higher bacteria counts than tap water. Dont say you weren't warned.

Bloozcat
August 14th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Good advice, Mark. I guess I failed to mention this because I've worked with plastic and PVC fittings for so long that I know about their shortcomings.

I do check my RO unit regularly, and I've experienced no problems with it. Since it's under the kitchen sink where I keep the trash bags for the trash can, I see it everyday. Fortunately in this case at least, I live in a high humidity environment, even with A/C. The plastic/nylon fittings tend to hold up a little better when they're not as subject to dry rot.

It's too bad that so much of what's available these days is made from plastic - the ultimate throw away material. But with the price of copper at an all time high, I'm afraid we're stuck with plastic. Of course, you could still rebuild your system, replacing all the plastic with copper...but that might be a little too over the top (even for me with my propensity for doing things like that ;) ).

ETA: The Brita filters don't always cut it with some well water. I have a whole house carbon filter that has at least 20 times the carbon that a Brita filter has. I only use a coconut shell carbon in that, no cheap coal based stuff. As is, the RO unit has two high grade carbon pre-filters that have more carbon in them than a Brita. The first filter in series gets pretty ugly after about six months use - and that's with water that's fairly well treated before getting to the first stage of the RO unit. Having well water that's not the greatest right out of the ground can be a real PITA, but I've learned what work's best with mine. I had no less than three "professional" water treatment companies fail in their attempts to remove the tanin, odor, taste, and particulates from my water. After the third, I'd finally had enough and just figured it out for myself. Where the "professionals" failed, this "amateur" succeded.

BTW Mark, please don't take this as a slam against you as a plumber. It's just my experiences with those out there who, IMHO, give real professionals a bad name. I'm sure that you've encountered them in your work...and have likely had to fix their mistakes after the fact as I've had to.

After all that, tonight our development has a meeting with the county about our getting county utility water run through our neighborhood. It's pretty much a done deal, we just have to go through the moaning and groaning about the initial cost of having it installed. I am so ready to get on the county water, and relegate my well to irrigation duties only.

Mark
August 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM
No offense taken Blooze I tell people up front I am not a water treatment specialist. Im a Master Plumber not an H2O guy. One thing plastic is great in many applications this is just not one of them. I remember the old water filter systems were Stainless and brass with copper tubing. Plastic is just the wrong material for this. They went palstic to keep manufacturing costs down like they do many things......damned bean counters. Well water can be a whole can of worms to get it palatable in some locales.:DR

zeusse
August 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I guess its a question of where you live to how good the quality of the water is regardless of well or city but bottled water even if the label said natural spring the problems of shipping and storage can wreck it. I've been driving transport for 20years and use to haul natural spring water out of Grafton Ont. to all kinds of places in Canada and the US and after sitting in my trailer for 3 to 5 days its like beer in my opinion it will go skunky if it isn't temperature controlled in a reefer. But water shippers won't pay to keep it cool because its just water in there opinion and don't consider it a perishable commodity...they know different but the buck controls the bottom line....I'll stick with the good ol tap water...I'm still kickin..LOL