PDA

View Full Version : A little blues improv

Lev
August 7th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Classic Player 60's strat into a Zoom G2.1u & my Hot Rod Deluxe. I really do love this strat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36imrkkAUEk

stingx
August 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Classic Player 60's strat into a Zoom G2.1u & my Hot Rod Deluxe. I really do love this strat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36imrkkAUEk

Beautiful tone and very expressive playing, Lev. Can you tell me what gear you filmed the you tube video with? I would like to start using the video medium more and I like the quality of your clip. Thanks for posting. Oh - I love the color of the guitar. It looks as great as it sounds. :DR

Justaguyin_nc
August 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Just watching the video, you can tell how much you like that guitar.. nice feeling there.. like walking into a blues bar and enjoying the moment.. Your strat and deluxe go well together for sure.

sunvalleylaw
August 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Very nice to watch! In this, and the Jimi oriented vid of yours I watched a couple months ago, I was struck by how you naturally disengage your fretting hand from the neck, either moving it up and down, or completely removing it. It is cool to watch, and seems to "free" your hand to move on to the next lick. Expressive is a good word for your playing!

Lev
August 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Can you tell me what gear you filmed the you tube video with? I would like to start using the video medium more and I like the quality of your clip.

Thanks Stingx, I use a Sony DVD handycam...
http://www.digital-cameras.com/xpp-sony_dvd_109_camcorder.html
The camera itself is great but the software for editing that comes with it is poor. It saves files as mpegs so you can't use Microsoft Movie Maker or Media encoder on the files. That means you need to spend $$ to get something to properly edit your videos. I'm using a trial version of Ulead Video Editor which is pretty good but it'll cost me $99 once the 30 days runs out.

you can tell how much you like that guitar
Thanks Justa, I really do love this guitar - it's definitly got a distinctive feel to it, I feel like I've been transported back in time every time I pick it up

I was struck by how you naturally disengage your fretting hand from the neck
Wow, I never realised I did that until you pointed it out, I think I just disengage while I try to figure out what to do next..:o

Incidently this was recorded the same day as I recorded the Hendrix video I just left it on the camcorder since then (...I do change me clothes from time to time ;) )

Thank you all for your kind words

Justaguyin_nc
August 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks Stingx, I use a Sony DVD handycam...
http://www.digital-cameras.com/xpp-sony_dvd_109_camcorder.html
The camera itself is great but the software for editing that comes with it is poor. It saves files as mpegs so you can't use Microsoft Movie Maker or Media encoder on the files. That means you need to spend $$ to get something to properly edit your videos. I'm using a trial version of Ulead Video Editor which is pretty good but it'll cost me $99 once the 30 days runs out.

A thought and cheap solution:
I use a Hauppage Live around $20 used http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120149103735&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us

to get the video to the computer.. while running the sound to soundcard works great with the video for the grandkids baseball games I film... using the free software from their site wintv32 it then saves it together in a usable format..then I put it into Movie Maker.. even works under Vista..

Spudman
August 7th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Nice playing Lev. Every time I hear you playing that guitar it makes me want one. It sounds real good...or maybe it's just the way you play. Either way - 2 thumbs up. :)

sunvalleylaw
August 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Wow, I never realised I did that until you pointed it out, I think I just disengage while I try to figure out what to do next..:o

Incidently this was recorded the same day as I recorded the Hendrix video I just left it on the camcorder since then (...I do change me clothes from time to time ;) )

Thank you all for your kind words

That is what is so cool, you do it so naturally. And, I wondered if it was recorded the same day as the Hendrix one. :-)

helliott
August 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Very soulful sound, Lev. Nice work. Lately when I see someone who removes his fingering hand a lot like that, I remind myself to do it more. Among the benefits is it encourages fewer notes, which is usually a good thing, especially for someone like me who has a natural tendency to try to cram too many in where fewer will do. You've got that nailed down.

ted s
August 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
2 thumbs up. :)

Nicely done indeed Lev,
3 thumbs up ! (rare deformity)

Pickngrin
August 7th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Really sweet playing, Lev. I checked out each of the clips you have listed and am envious of your chops. Great tone of course!

zeusse
August 12th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Very sweet playing Lev now you got me wanting to get a camcorder...I could use my webcam I guess couldn't I?...but the audio my be bad any advice on this from somebody would be cool:)

Lev
August 13th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Very sweet playing Lev now you got me wanting to get a camcorder...I could use my webcam I guess couldn't I?...but the audio my be bad any advice on this from somebody would be cool:)

Zeusse, I got the camcorder only a couple of months back. The last 2 videos I put on youtube were filmed with the sony handycam (the sonic blue strat vids). Previous to that I used my Canon Ixux digital camera, It does a really good job with both audio and video and is a fine digital camera also. If you only need to record short videos then a digital camera may suffice.

SuperSwede
August 13th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Really nice playing Lev!