PDA

View Full Version : How would you setup

250Keith
August 7th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Hi all what would be the best way to set up my pedal chain and why? I have a bad monkey and these pedals are on the way,
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Voodoolab Sparkle Drive to use more as a clean boost.
My amp does'int have a effects loop so I will be going from the guitar to the pedals and into the front of the amp.
Thanks.
Keith.

Robert
August 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Sparkle Drive -> Chorus -> Wah

Would be my choice.

duhvoodooman
August 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The "gurus" generally recommend:

guitar > wah > distortion/boost > chorus > amp

I doubt that the order of the Bad Monkey and Sparkle Drive matter much. But you might want to try putting one of them between the wah and the guitar so that you can experiment with adding distortion before or after the wah effect and see which you like better.

A couple of references:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/fxorder.htm

Robert
August 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Oh, forgot about da Monkey. Try as VDM suggest, but I prefer the Wah after OD pedals.

Let your ears be the judge! There is no right or wrong way to do it.

sunvalleylaw
August 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Not that I am much of an expert, but I have some of your pedals.
I would run Guitar into Wah, into Monkey, into Chorus, into Sparkle Drive to give it a clean signal at the end, which is basically what Robert said leaving off the Monkey. EDIT: I misunderstood what Robert said. He places his Wah differently. I defer to DVM, Robert and others more experienced about the effect of placing the Sparkle Drive or Wah in other places. I have the Berhinger PB100 as a clean boost and so far have only used it at the end of the chain, either before or after my Behringer tuner.

250Keith
August 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the replys, This will give me a start.
Keith.

Spudman
August 7th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Sounds like this is well covered.
I always run into my wah first and modulation (chorus - delay) last. For me this is the most consistent sounding order. Everything else is just going to be a great experiment for you. Certainly don't be afraid to try all manner of order. Who knows what you'll come up with.

Justaguyin_nc
August 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Everything else is just going to be a great experiment for you.

That about sums it up... so many different ways people set their sound up.. I been reading and experimenting just for a year now with these darn pedals.. Spuds seems to have what most do.. Guitar>wah>compressor(if ya got one or when ya get one;) )>Heavy distortions>Lighter Distortions/overdrive>Clean Boost>chorus/flanger/phasers>delays>verbs>amp... and it all comes down to what you want in the sound..cause the next article you read or experiment you try..you like it another way for another sound...

Have fun experimenting!!

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Voo and Potatoman are right on target. If you ever get a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor pedals you can put that after the wah and tuner (if applicable) OR before...either way works...then run the noisy gain/ovedrive pedals, flange and chorus pedals through the effects loop of the NS-2. Reverb and delay pedals are run out of the output side of the NS-2 into the amp. If you've got lots of pedals I highly suggest investing in one of these noise suppressor pedals. (thanks Justa)

250Keith
August 8th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I kind of figured it was a mix and match type of thing, it's the journey thats fun.
Keith.