PDA

View Full Version : Hola

besouropreto
August 7th, 2007, 12:17 PM
New member hear. Been playing guitar for 17 years, studied classical guitar and latin american ethnomusicology at UT Austin. I play mostly Brazilian classical guitar, and bossa/samba with a smattering of Baroque and Classical. I used to post at the about.com guitar forums, but haven't been consistent there in a while. Sup, 333Max.

My equipment is simple. I have an Alvarez CY110 (by Kazuo Yairi), a small Peavey Rage 158 which surprisingly gives me a very transparent sound with a Shure SM58. I record every now and then with an MBox 2 and AKG K271 headphones. I have Audacity but never cared for the plugins so I don't use it for too much except for capturing streaming music.

Hobbies include Origami and Capoeira Angola, and obscure topics in music theory

Robert
August 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Welcome Beso! Great to have you here.

Great also that you are into music theory!

How did you find us?

sunvalleylaw
August 7th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Welcome! I am kind of a newbie, playing only little more than a year. Fine place this!

besouropreto
August 7th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Funny, I can't remember how I found this place. I'm sure I must have googled something or clicked a link from another site sometime last week. Thanks for the welcome :)

250Keith
August 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Glad to have you here, We would love to hear play, post some clips if you can.
Keith.

Spudman
August 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Welcome, and it would be great to hear somebody that has some musical study behind them. Please post some clips if you can.

pes_laul
August 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
welcome this is a great forum

ted s
August 7th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the fret Beso, don't forget to show us where you are on the map.

besouropreto
August 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Let's see. This is something I recorded a few years ago: Koyunbaba part I (http://www.uploadcomet.com/download.php?file=6bc9fe47c9404cdd31e2796a867bcfba ) with a webcam.

warren0728
August 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
welcome beso....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

250Keith
August 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
That was very nice! very nice indeed.
Thanks

Spudman
August 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Sweet! Very nice.

What amp are you using? ;) :D

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hola! Welcome to the Fret.

besouropreto
August 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Hey. I wasn't using an amp in this way. The mic on the webcam just couldn't compensate for electromagnetic noise from the computer so the clip sounds a bit distorted like I might have been amped.

tot_Ou_tard
August 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM
New member hear. Been playing guitar for 17 years, studied classical guitar and latin american ethnomusicology at UT Austin. I play mostly Brazilian classical guitar, and bossa/samba with a smattering of Baroque and Classical. I used to post at the about.com guitar forums, but haven't been consistent there in a while. Sup, 333Max.

My equipment is simple. I have an Alvarez CY110 (by Kazuo Yairi), a small Peavey Rage 158 which surprisingly gives me a very transparent sound with a Shure SM58. I record every now and then with an MBox 2 and AKG K271 headphones. I have Audacity but never cared for the plugins so I don't use it for too much except for capturing streaming music.

Holy moly. Way cool!

What *is* Capoeira Angola & what do you think of Robert Lang's Oragami?

How obscure do music theory topics get?

Stranger than this?

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2006/07/31/musics_inner_map_revealed_with_some_help_from_geom etry/

Nice video! I assume that you have the standard freaky classical guitarist fingernails.

besouropreto
August 8th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Capoeira Angola (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HgJcdbVYggE)

Robert Lang is a genius

And this kind of stuff Xenharmonics (http://web.syr.edu/~rsholmes/music/xen/scale_neut3.html) and serialism

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Capoeira Angola (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HgJcdbVYggE)

Ummmm, can you explain that? The comments speak of a game, what's going on?

And this kind of stuff Xenharmonics (http://web.syr.edu/~rsholmes/music/xen/scale_neut3.html) and serialism
I poked around there & related links. I don't know what they are talking about, but it seems interesting.

Do you play any microtonal music?

Spudman
August 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Hey. I wasn't using an amp in this way. The mic on the webcam just couldn't compensate for electromagnetic noise from the computer so the clip sounds a bit distorted like I might have been amped.

I was joking. You'll have to get used to that around here. It's pretty common knowledge that one doesn't usually use an amp when playing classical guitar.:D

besouropreto
August 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Ah. Joke. But I get that all the time.

tot-Ou-tard:

Capoeira Angola is martial art game in that comes from Brazil (actually comes from Angola, Africa but became stylized and was codified as capoeira in Rio and the Bahia, Brazil). It's sort of a dance in that rather than laying a beat down as in Savate or Muay Thai, you move with, underneath, and away from the kicks, staying low to the ground, getting on yur hands. and being acrobatic in general. You try to out maneuvre the other person, while staying aware of their movements. You kick, trip, head butt and occasionally throw. Letting the other person know that you could have given them a black eye is considered better than actually giving them one. It's often compared to chess.

The game is accompanied by three berimbaus, two pandeiros (a brazilian tamborine hand drum), an agô-gô (african double bell), reco-reco (wood or metal scraper similar to a guiro), and a conga or traditionally an atabaque. The berimbau is considered the voice of capoeira. It's a single stringed bow with a gourd resonator. The string is struck with a thin piece of wood and is fretted with either a rock or large metal coin. It produces two notes approximately a whole tone apart, and a percussive buzz note. Despite it's relative simplicity it is a physically demanding instrument and usually takes atleast a year or two before anyone can hold it and play it without dropping the thing on the ground. The berimbaus are tuned low to high, but not usually "in tune". The deepest of the three is the Gunga, the lord or king. Kind of like a referee, but also has most control over the music. The middle is called Médio and plays the melody of the gunga but inverted and improvises a little bit. The highest pitched is called the Viola (a common name for many stringed instrumens in Brazil) and does the most improvisation.

The songs (sung in Portuguese) outline the structure of the game.

I. Ladainha: This is sung solo at the very beginning of the game. The players wait crouched at the foot of the berimbau. The Ladainha is sometimes a story, is sometimes a history or philosophical lesson, or can be pure poetry.

II. Chula/Louvação: This is sung right from the Ladainha and begins the call and response. The lead singer invokes, god, the old masters of capoeira, gives thanks.

III. Corrido. The game begins here. The corridos are short call and response songs that are often metaphorically descriptive of the game, respond to the game and react to it. Some amount of improvisation occurs in the singing, as long as you know Portuguese.

Very fun stuff.

besouropreto
August 9th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Xenharmonic music is any kind of music whose tones are either determined by the harmonic properties of the material or in the broader sense, whose scales are not based on the pythagorean twelve tones to the octave model. Modern western tonality is all about having all the semitones in equal frequency proportion to one another.

Let's set "a" at 440 and "A" and octave higher at 880
A = 2*a, or "A" is twice the frequency of "a".

2 is the octave scalar. If we take the sqare root of 2, then we divide the octave in half, and get three notes.
sqrt(2) = 2^(1/2)
"a" = 440

"c#" = 440*sqrt(2) = 440*1.41421 = 622.25397

"A" = 440*sqrt(2)*sqrt(2) = 622.25396*sqrt(2) = 880.000

We've defined the pitches for "a" and c# in our scale.

To get all 12 notes, instead of taking the square root of 2, we take the 12th root of 2 = 2^(1/12)

a = 440
a# = 440*2^(1/12)
b = 440*2^(1/12)*2^(1/12) = 440*2^(1/12 + 1/12)
b# = c = 440*2^(1/12 + 1/12 + 1/12)
etc... for all the notes.

This is called 12 tone equal temperament or 12-Tet for short, and all of virtually all of modern music since Beethoven is based on this concept.

Xenharmonic music is music that is based everything else, basically. The berimbau in capoeira is somewhat Xenharmonic because the whole tone is actually somewhat neutral (falling somewhere between a half and a whole step) and the three together aren't necessarily in tune, but still sound in tune and can be sung over.

Katastrophe
August 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Welcome! It's good to have someone from the same area of Texas here on the forum. HOOK 'EM!

tot_Ou_tard
August 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I still don't quite grasp the Capoeira Angola, but that's OK. Very interesting nonetheless.

I have wondered with digital pianos, keyboards, modelling guitars, & the like, what's to stop someone from writing software that allows you to switch to any tuning system you wish. For example, it could change systems in real time based on what you are playing: eg an analysis of key (if there is one) etc.

Someone proabably has done something like this already.

But why the term Xen? What does that mean?

duhvoodooman
August 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Beso. Next time you happen to walk by the SRV statue at Town Lake in Austin, say "Hi" for me!

333maxwell
August 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Hey man.. good to see ya over here.. I have came in here fairly recently myself.. about.com is getting no less funky than ever. good group of folks here.. mostly an electric kinda gang, but certainly your influences and experiences will be greatly appreciated by all.. glad to see you out and about and you made it this way!

To the rest of the fretters, this cat is a heck of a fine and knowledgable musician... show him some love!

Brian Krashpad
August 25th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Bienvenidos!