PDA

View Full Version : Morley A/B/Y

Justaguyin_nc
August 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I been wanting a way to plug two amps in for awhile.. Not stereo..just something I can either switch from one or the other or have both on.

Morley A/B/Y can be bought on Ebay for 40 bucks new and shipped....

It does the Job.. BUT:

They write in the instructions that if HUM appears when you connect the two amps go to some site and buy this product to cure it... ( morley is not the only A/B/Y this happens to)

I went there.. its another $90 for some Hum cancel device.. are they crazy?

Mine hummed.. it was not a hard fix or costly...

All you need is a $1.00-$2.00 3 prong to two prong adaptor from Wal-Mart etc. etc. and put it on one of the amps power line.. problem solved!

The other strange thing about the morley, hard to get the back off to put a battery in it.. four phillips head screws and a bit of prying.. once this is done.. the inside looks like pretty good work..and it works fine.

Hum is gone.. switching is not heard on mine.. lights show which amp is on or both.. Does not seem to change tone on me..

Was worth the $41.00

Edit: oops...the guy just raised the price.. 44.95 shipped.. 9 left if anyone is interested..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230156189803&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

Plank_Spanker
August 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I run two amps at gigs, and I used a Morley very briefly.............

I found that I had ground loop hum issues even with both amps using grounded plugs. I also had signal loss issues when both amps were selected. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Framptone Amp Switcher. It works great - no hum, no signal loss, and no phasing problems. Well worth the money.

Justaguyin_nc
August 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I run two amps at gigs, and I used a Morley very briefly.............

I found that I had ground loop hum issues even with both amps using grounded plugs..

You probably did try this first..but there is something about only one plug can be used.. The other amp then grounds them both... one worked great for me.. ya would think they would have found a better way knowing this before hand huh.. but for around 40 bucks.. I guess its still worth it..

WackyT
August 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Just be careful if you're running a tube amp off an ungrounded power source.

Justaguyin_nc
August 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Just be careful if you're running a tube amp off an ungrounded power source.

But ofcourse... "Zapppp".. for some reason.. the one turns to ground for both.. but like you mentioned...I thought.. maybe the solid state better be the one without ground...hehe..

WackyT
August 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM
What's happening is that the one grounded amp is grounding everything else through the shielding in the cables.