PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a request for a video lesson?

Robert
August 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I am running out of ideas for useful guitar video lessons. I like doing them, but I think I need some fresh ideas.

Have any ideas? ;)

Justaguyin_nc
August 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Have any ideas? ;)

What about Favorite Riffs in the style of...
With maybe a few riffs some artist you like has done in certain songs..
Using a backtrack, can be put together and grown on to make your own solos etc.
Something that can be carried to other music for example.
explaining the songs it is used in..
and what it would sound good using in.

sunvalleylaw
August 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
That sounds like a good one!

Tim
August 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Well I have been waiting for this question. Can you show how to do a simple Minor 12 bar blues solo? You have done the scales, both up and down. I am still confused or I just don’t get it. Can you make a blues solo by showing how to skip strings, maybe sliding up or down a few frets. I can play up and down the scale with no problem (1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4). I can not figure out what to do to get out of this rut. Spuds has told me to “Just play”. Well it stinks when I just play!

A simple video on your old tune "Late Evening Fumblin' Blues" would be highly welcomed by me.

Robert
August 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Tim, an E minor blues? The chords would be E minor, A minor and B minor then, to make it as simple as possible?

What do you mean by
I can play up and down the scale with no problem (1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4).
I don't understand what that means.

And which song is "Late Evening Fumblin' Blues"? I don't recognize that title.

Justa, good idea! Got any backing tracks you can fire off in my direction for this? ;)

Tim
August 9th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Robert - The 1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4 (A-C, D-E, G-A, C-D, E-F#, A-C) is the frets played from the low E to th high e strings. In some books it is one of so called "five boxes". I also understand the E minor, A minor and B minor chord progression. I do not know how else to explain what I am asking for. It is probably so simple for you that you are not understanding. Boy this is frustrating. Hopefully another Fretter can explain better than me what I am asking for and trying to learn. Like I said in the past, this is one hard brick wall for me to break through.

OK, I will trying it this way. Make a simple video of you playing over the "Late Evening Fumblin' Blues" backing track from a previous post and explain how you put your MOJO on it. Explain the slurs, bends, slides and all the other MOJO used for playing solos. A short 12 bar blues, but remember to keep it SIMPLE for a simple minded guy ... me.

Spudman
August 9th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Hey what about explaining the Nashville chord system? 1-4-5, 2-5-1 etc. This could give folks a better chance when jamming new tunes with real experienced players.

duhvoodooman
August 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I suppose a request for a "How to not suck on guitar anymore" lesson is probably a little too broad and open-ended, huh? ;) :D

Re: Tim's posting, I think he's referring to the minor pentatonic scale "box 1" position fingering.

rkwrenn
August 10th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Here's some ideas...

* Maybe some open string country licks like Brent Mason.

* In your B7 Jazz / Blues Lick vid you do a nice rhythm figure at 0:12 - 0:17. Maybe some more examination of this type of rhythm.

* Closer looks at some of the funk rhythms.

* More movable chord shapes

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

sunvalleylaw
August 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM
What about Favorite Riffs in the style of...
With maybe a few riffs some artist you like has done in certain songs..
Using a backtrack, can be put together and grown on to make your own solos etc.
Something that can be carried to other music for example.
explaining the songs it is used in..
and what it would sound good using in.

I am going to re-state my support for Justa's idea. This would be perfect for me right now. Some lick "arrows" to stick in my quiver with some knowledge how to use them.

Tim
August 10th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I suppose a request for a "How to not suck on guitar anymore" lesson is probably a little too broad and open-ended, huh? ;) :D

Re: Tim's posting, I think he's referring to the minor pentatonic scale "box 1" position fingering.

VooDoo - You hit the nail on the head with the first paragraph. You explained exactly what I was trying to say in the second.

Justaguyin_nc
August 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Justa, good idea! Got any backing tracks you can fire off in my direction for this? ;)

Thanks for supporting the idea Robert.. But I would think you would know best which riffs your comfortable with and transfer from one song to another..

I know Gilmourish.com has some wonderful backings for well, Pink Floyd type songs if you know certain riffs David Gilmour does...

GuitarBT.com has many others... I guess it would depend on what you wish to teach.

As in support for TIM.. I think a lesson called breaking out of the box would be in order... A lesson showing how you go from say low strings in the low E and A and progress up the neck to the High E or something like that a few box patterns down.. adding tension and taking it away? boxes I never learned.. and it shows..lol.. but I think that's what tim means..putting the neck all together for different sounds in the pentatonic in any Key..
Did that make sense? lol

Robert
August 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I suspect that I will tell the viewer to not get stuck in boxes...:)

We all want to play good music, right? Learn some basic pentatonic notes (boxes, or whatever way you can remember) and the make something good out if. That's how I think.

I don't think anyone wants to sound like pentatonic box player. What this means is I would talk about phrasing, repetition and trying to convey how to use few notes to sound good.

Would that be interesting?

sunvalleylaw
August 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Yes Robert that would. I also think what Tim wants and what Justa suggested relate well to one another. (Tim, tell me if I am wrong on this) Tim wants a way to move around and up and down using, but not locked into, scales less mechanically. Justa was talking about licks in the style of . . . say BB King (not so many notes, great licks?), or SRV, or Buddy Guy, or whatever. Someone suggested some Nashville type licks. Those, if I understand correctly, are often less pentatonic. If one learns a few licks and learns what they sound good with, a guy can get ideas to form his own. I am interested in learning some good old standby blues licks to jam with. Knowing some chromatic shifts helps to mix it up. Knowing some Nashville to make it sound different yet breaks it up more. Am I making sense?

I just taught myself the melody of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" because my Dad was playing it on the sax on our vacation and I love how he sounds when he does it. I figured it out starting with the basic pentatonic box at 10-12/13, and had to add some notes not in that strict scale to make it work. I guess that is not a lick, but a melody that I knew that I had to leave the box to obtain. I guess learning some licks that can be mixed and matched that are in the style of could do a lot also to add some tools for breaking out of the box and just playing.

On the other hand, maybe what Tim is asking and what Justa was suggesting are better being separate but related lessons. LOL! Go ahead Libra Steve, contradict yourself some more. :p

BTW, thanks so much for listening to us to prepare some new video lessons to help us. I so appreciate it. :) :D :DR

Tim
August 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I don't think anyone wants to sound like pentatonic box player. What this means is I would talk about phrasing, repetition and trying to convey how to use few notes to sound good.

Would that be interesting?

OK, I will forget about any boxes. Your above statement sounds perfect, but please keep it simple. Nothing fancy, at least for me.

M29
August 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Robert,

I would like some examples of simple blues, jazz and rock bass lines that we could use for recording our own songs. Nothing extravagant but simple so we could make our own backing tracks to jam to. I have the drums covered with Beatcraft, which I think is a great program.

I would like to see some of Leslie West's licks maybe not so much Mississippi Queen but other licks. I would like to get a bit of his feel. He claims to be a two finger player but I like his flow or feel and would like to get some of it down.

Just a thought.

Thanks for all your help.

M29

Tim
August 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Yes Robert that would. I also think what Tim wants and what Justa suggested relate well to one another. (Tim, tell me if I am wrong on this) Tim wants a way to move around and up and down using, but not locked into, scales less mechanically. Justa was talking about licks in the style of . . . say BB King (not so many notes, great licks?), or SRV, or Buddy Guy, or whatever. Someone suggested some Nashville type licks. Those, if I understand correctly, are often less pentatonic. If one learns a few licks and learns what they sound good with, a guy can get ideas to form his own. I am interested in learning some good old standby blues licks to jam with. Knowing some chromatic shifts helps to mix it up. Knowing some Nashville to make it sound different yet breaks it up more. Am I making sense?

I just taught myself the melody of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" because my Dad was playing it on the sax on our vacation and I love how he sounds when he does it. I figured it out starting with the basic pentatonic box at 10-12/13, and had to add some notes not in that strict scale to make it work. I guess that is not a lick, but a melody that I knew that I had to leave the box to obtain. I guess learning some licks that can be mixed and matched that are in the style of could do a lot also to add some tools for breaking out of the box and just playing.

On the other hand, maybe what Tim is asking and what Justa was suggesting are better being separate but related lessons. LOL! Go ahead Libra Steve, contradict yourself some more. :p

BTW, thanks so much for listening to us to prepare some new video lessons to help us. I so appreciate it. :) :D :DR

Steve - You are dead on, as was VooDoo in stating what I posted.

I fine your second paragraph very interesting. Especially Louis Armstrong's song"What a Wonderful World". It is one of my favorites by Louie.

M29
August 10th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Robert,

Maybe do a short bit on a number of different players. BB King has his BB box maybe show a bit of that then maybe do a quick Santana thing that kind of sums up the main part of his style. Maybe a quick bit of Jimmy Page's style that he is well known for. Definitely Jimi and so on. Each one could be relatively short but give a taste of each style that we could grab onto to experiment with. A few lessons could be done over time with this.

Just a thought.

M29

Justaguyin_nc
August 10th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Robert,

BB King has his BB box maybe show a bit of that
M29

Yup... thats about what I meant.. depending on what styles Robert likes and understands himself.. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/bb_king_box_technique.html has the b.b. king box example.. now for a Video... taking this and showing the riffs.. would be an added bonus...

pes_laul
September 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
hmm I always like knocking on heavens door by guns n roses (though i can't figure out how to play it right.)

marnold
September 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Yup... thats about what I meant.. depending on what styles Robert likes and understands himself.. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/bb_king_box_technique.html has the b.b. king box example.. now for a Video... taking this and showing the riffs.. would be an added bonus...
Actually, I believe the information in that link is incorrect. From what I've understood, what he shows there is in fact the Albert King box and not the B.B. King. In a related story, check out this Tom Kolb analysis of B.B. King (http://www.guitarworld.com/article/soloing_strategies_b_b_king) from GuitarWorld.

Justaguyin_nc
September 26th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Very nice link Marnold..with videos...thanks..

kiteman
October 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM
How about the CAGED system?

Tim mentioned one of the pentatonic pattern that fits over an Em or a G major chord shape. There are 5 pentatonic patterns in the CAGED system where there are patterns for each of the five major or minor chord shapes and they are connected by their root points.

GREENMACHINE
October 29th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Hey Robert
What about some more blues riffs or songs like the rest of love struck by S.R.V and Electric version of Layla and acoustic by Eric Clapton, Gary Moore Still got the blues for you, yeah just some things to do with blues.
P.S Your dolphinstreet.com site rocks for free guitar lessons!

Many thanks
GREENMACHINE:D

R_of_G
November 27th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Robert,

I know that like myself you are a big fan of Charlie Parker. I also know you know at least a few of his melodies and riffs. I think a lesson with a handful of Bird's stuff would be a lot of fun, at least for me. Maybe it's because I re-read the Miles autobiography on the plane over Thanksgiving weekend, but I have the Bird & Miles "Blue Bird - Legendary Savoy Sessions" on repeat on my iPod, and I haven't been able to listen to much else lately. So any lesson you ever want to do on Bird, I'll be watching.:AOK:

Robert
November 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Good idea - I'll look at adding some Bird lessons when I get time (whenever that is ....) Thanks Roland.

Spudman
January 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
How about something on the CAGED system. Maybe that could be of value to some folks.

fastfoot
January 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Robert, I have always wanted to learn how to play some of the licks on Eric Claptons Layla. I know you would be great on showing us all this one!!

Robert
January 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Layla, the "signature line/lick" of the song, or something else from that song?

Vihar
January 31st, 2008, 02:25 AM
I sure would like to see/hear you play some Steely Dan riffs/solo parts. Not just Reelin' or Charlemagne, but all the other guitarists' stuff too. Skunk on "My Old School" or Denny Dias on "Do It Again". These guys make it sound so easy, and sometimes it's hard to figure out what's going on.
Thinking a bit more about it; many of these '70s studio rock bands have intriguing stuff. Alan Parsons Project ("Eye In The Sky" solo...) or Christopher Cross ("Ride Like The Wind" outro by Eric Johnson if I remember correctly...). Just off the top of my head.

Lev
January 31st, 2008, 04:18 AM
wow, i didn't know Eric Johnson played on Ride Like the Wind... cool

Vihar
January 31st, 2008, 05:10 AM
Ok, I'm not sure about that anymore... I made a little research and it seems like Cross himself played the lead on that song. Johnson played the lead on the album's last song "Minstrel Gigolo" though. :tongue:

sunvalleylaw
February 1st, 2008, 12:36 AM
Actually, I believe the information in that link is incorrect. From what I've understood, what he shows there is in fact the Albert King box and not the B.B. King. In a related story, check out this Tom Kolb analysis of B.B. King (http://www.guitarworld.com/article/soloing_strategies_b_b_king) from GuitarWorld.

Missed this earlier. Very nice! I like Tom Kolb stuff too. He did my very first guitar instructional vid which I still enjoy, with his Rod Stewart hair and all. :D

GREENMACHINE
February 1st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Hey Robert
What about some scales you can use for doing solos with, or scales to solo over blues?

Cheers
GREENMACHINE:D :rockon:

Robert
February 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for feedback guys! :AOK: I should have a new lesson soon about the fundamentals of scales and the chromatic scale.

GREENMACHINE
February 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hey Robert
Awesome, I can't wait! You always make lessons fun and easy to understand.

Thanks again,
GREENMACHINE

pes_laul
February 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Freebird! (kidding):whatever: :p

Robert
August 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Revisiting this old thread again, because I'm out of ideas for lessons. I tend to overcomplicate things, when I think about creating a new lesson.

However, it seems most people want to learn licks of certain famous players. I'm not really an expert at copying other people's licks, although I know some blues players pretty good.

How about a video lesson showing some ideas of how to play a 12 bar blues solo, using 3 or 4 notes only?

The difficult part is to make video lessons interesting for beginners as well as more experienced players.

warren0728
August 4th, 2008, 05:20 PM
How about a video lesson showing some ideas of how to play a 12 bar blues solo, using 3 or 4 notes only?
sounds good to me! can you do one playing just one note...that i think i could handle :thwap:

ww

just strum
August 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM
sounds good to me! can you do one playing just one note...that i think i could handle :thwap:

ww

+1

Robert
August 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I'll see what I can do. Remember, it's all about phrasing - how the note is played. Phrasing means you need decent timing too, so you know where in time to play the note.

just strum
August 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
...so you know where in time to play the note.

Weekdays I play 5:45 to 8:00

Weekends: on and off all weekend.

birv2
August 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Robert,

I figure I'm an intermediate blues player. I know my pentatonic scales backwards and forwards, etc. I can do a bit of soloing, but what I would like to know is.....

how to play a "burst" of notes. You know how people kind of anchor their fingers in one position and rip off about 10-20 notes? I would love to learn how to do that.

Don't know if that makes sense, but since you asked.

Thanks!
Bob

peachhead
August 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Weekdays I play 5:45 to 8:00

Weekends: on and off all weekend.

:thwap:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Robert
August 4th, 2008, 09:21 PM
birv2, that's usually pentatonic/blue scale notes played fast. A technique thing, I guess.

sunvalleylaw
August 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Revisiting this old thread again, because I'm out of ideas for lessons. I tend to overcomplicate things, when I think about creating a new lesson.

However, it seems most people want to learn licks of certain famous players. I'm not really an expert at copying other people's licks, although I know some blues players pretty good.

The difficult part is to make video lessons interesting for beginners as well as more experienced players.

That sounds good.:) You have a bunch of us beginnermediates like me (and Justaguy, Warren, sounds like Birv2 fits there, etc.) who you could shoot for. We can follow you and find the notes easily enough, but could use work on expression, and the phrasing and timing you mention. That should be interesting for beginners too, as you will be using 3 or 4 notes only. Those that want to get more fancy with it can find different ways of accessing those notes buy going outside the box if they want, etc. but that does not need to be part of the lesson necessarily.

birv2
August 5th, 2008, 06:31 AM
[QUOTE=Robert]birv2, that's usually pentatonic/blue scale notes played fast. A technique thing, I guess.[/QUOTE

I think I realize that, but exactly what is the technique? In other words, is there a way that you barre a few strings with your index finger and alternate hitting notes there and with your other fingers? Maybe if we s l o w ed it down, I'd be able to get it. :whatever:

Bob

Robert
August 5th, 2008, 08:14 AM
birv2, can you give me an example from youtube? Do I do those things when playing? (assuming you've seen a few of my videos)

I think you mean pull-offs and hammer-ons, or legato playing.

ShortBuSX
August 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Id like to see a series of pentatonic lessons, I mean Ive got the 5 minor patterns down(but I think its very useful for others)...but then follow up after the 5 patterns, like "now what?"...maybe how to fit the blue notes in with it? Or maybe the 5 patterns of the major pentatonic, which I havent seen anywhere as of yet(its alway the minor). Id also like to see a lesson on how to incorporate a pentatonic lead with 12 bar blues...I can noodle around over the top, but for some reason it seems I should be in one pattern for the "I" another for the "IV" and another for the "V"...just seems nobody follows up on the pentatonic lessons and I for one would find it useful.

Robert
August 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Sounds like blues leads will be the next lesson!

I might have to make a few different variations I think, because playing blues is not so much about scales - it's about phrasing and hitting the good sounding notes - the pentatonic is just a tool to help with this.

sunvalleylaw
December 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
You had mentioned a diminished chord lesson that you had in mind, and since I am working on that lately, if you had time to do one sometime, I would love it.

M29
December 10th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I have been working on moving up and down the neck on the two middle strings (3 and 4) trying to connect the boxes. Any insight on this would be helpful. I am trying to make things interesting and not so pentatonic.

M

natethegreat424
January 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I realize this is an old post however I just found my way to this forum yesterday. I couldn't help but ask if you could give a lesson about "Lenny" by SRV. I know a bit of it and i really like how it sounds and the relaxed feel however I have trouble coming up with little riffs to play in between those main chords he plays. I believe the song is in C minor pentatonic.

Thanks.

Robert
January 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Nate, please go to the Fret Players forum and give yourself a proper introduction.

Regarding Lenny, I'm not sure I know how to play it well enough in order to make a good lesson. I guess I will think about it. Thanks for the suggestion though! It's great for me to get feedback. :AOK:

natethegreat424
January 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Hi Nate, please go to the Fret Players forum and give yourself a proper introduction.

Regarding Lenny, I'm not sure I know how to play it well enough in order to make a good lesson. I guess I will think about it. Thanks for the suggestion though! It's great for me to get feedback. :AOK:

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm excited to have found this place. Let me know if you decide to give Lenny a shot its such an awesome song and a good way to integrate some tough chords and some soloing at a reasonable pace. Just a very impressive sounding song.

Jimi75
January 28th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Hello Robert,

How about ideas on how to solo over the ending of a 12bar blues? I am not talking 'bout the typical turn around, but about hitting the right notes in a minor and major 12bar blues ending. That would be also great for beginners I think.

On this occasion I'd like to ask you if you could put up something with the half-whole diminished scale and how you combine it with the general mixolydian/blues scale. Maybe an advanced lesson?

I'd love to understand what this guy here does and I know that you understand what he does way better than I do Robert :AOK:

gt2_d6EB75M&feature=channel_page

Thanks Rob.

J75

Robert
January 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Yes, this is a great scale. I use it a lot. It's symmetrical so it is easy to understand. However, it may take time to really get your fingers to "remember". Half step, whole step, repeat. That's it.

http://chrisjuergensen.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/half_whole_diminished_scale.gif
Source: http://chrisjuergensen.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/diminished_half_whole_scale.htm - a great article covering this scale and the altered scale.