PDA

View Full Version : Shipping help

grungeiceman
August 10th, 2007, 03:50 PM
OK, I have a friend in texas and was planning on buying his guitar. He doesnt have a hard shell case to ship it to me. What would be the best way to go?

duhvoodooman
August 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Double-box it with plenty of packing material. Here's what I've done:

Wrap in plastic (a large garbage bag will do), then put in first box, with enough packing (large-cell bubble wrap is best; crumpled newspaper will do, if necessary) around it to immobilize the instrument. Then put this box inside a larger box, again using packing material to cushion & hold the inner box firmly in place. If you dont have the long, flat boxes needed to do this correctly, try checking with a local guitar store to see if they have some "empties" you could have....

Justaguyin_nc
August 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Double-box it with plenty of packing material. Here's

+1 on the Double box, also if shipped UPS, they ask if the neck is wrapped in bubble wrap now... Least mine locally.. and also state they will not pay damage claims on broken necks if they are not wrapped in bubble wrap.. again..at least mine locally.. something about UPS paying out to many claims on guitars with broken necks.. just a heads up...I would assume if they take it, they will pay eventually if they break it..

Katastrophe
August 10th, 2007, 09:03 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea for your Texan friend to insure the package for the value of the guitar in case it gets damaged in shipment.

Tim
August 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I check on this about 2 weeks ago. Using UPS, a guitar and case valued at $700.00 insured will cost $70.00 from Florida to Pennsylvania. The distance is about 800 miles. As suggested, they have special double boxes just for guitars.

pes_laul
August 17th, 2007, 08:03 AM
i know i ordered a shecter 12 string of ebay and it came wrapped to death with bubble wrap double cardboard styrofoam that would be the best way to gto (or maybe a gig bag?)

Spudman
August 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Just do the Vooodoo suggestion and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have found that FedEx gets the job done for less and I haven't experienced the damage with them that I have from the US Postal Service or UPS. I can usually ship ground insured double boxed for less than $35 to anywhere in the USA lower 48.

warren0728
August 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
make sure to loosen the strings on the guitar before shipping too....

ww