PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to write a song

Lev
August 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM
.... this is so much fun, you can even create quick and easy backing tracks!!

http://www.jamstudio.com/Studio/index.htm

ted s
August 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM
pretty cool Lev, thanks for the link !

Spudman
August 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Hey! That's awesome. What a great useful site. Thanks Lev.:DR

Tim
August 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Awesome indeed!

zeusse
August 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM
anyway we can download the finished product as a wav. file or mp3 I couldn't figure it or is it strickly left on that site and no downloads of finished work?

zeusse
August 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Ok I found away to just record on to my Pro Tracks so here's the first test clip of this little wonder of the internet....and quick too only 3min to do the backer and 5min for riffs and 2min to mix...so for 10min you can do quite a bit I think the next one we'll take 20min...LOL

http://www.box.net/shared/4ky1y7mpsu I'm calling it Sunny Day it was sunny outside:)

Tim
August 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Zeusse - That's a mighty fine backing track. So your saying you used the Jam Studio to make the track and downloaded it to your computer? That is truly amazing!!!

zeusse
August 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I did have to mess around with my audio drivers to find the right combination to record while playing it back from the site but otherwise it does work pretty good I was amazed I can post the backers for you guys that I throw together until you find away to do it...I think this could turn into a 5 backer a day habit...LOL

http://www.box.net/shared/p0szeb1n78 Sunny Day Backer<<<there that was easy...LOL

stingx
August 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
That sounded fantastic, man. Thanks a lot!

Spudman
August 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
That sounded great.
I haven't tried yet to download the backer but I'm glad to know that it can be done.

Pickngrin
August 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks a bunch, Lev. That site is just too cool. I had lots of fun tonight jamming along to some spontaneous backing tracks!

macluver
August 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
this is so cool! thanks for the link. i love that song. glad i signed on here...im finally allowed to post...cool! seriously, thanks for that site. you should send in that song, its really great

Spudman
August 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I did have to mess around with my audio drivers to find the right combination to record while playing it back from the site but otherwise it does work pretty good I was amazed I can post the backers for you guys that I throw together until you find away to do it...I think this could turn into a 5 backer a day habit...LOL

http://www.box.net/shared/p0szeb1n78 Sunny Day Backer<<<there that was easy...LOL

Alright. I'm doing some composing with this site but can't figure out how to save anything yet.
Tell us what you did exactly so that we (I) can post some backers too. Pppppleeease?

zeusse
August 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I just got home tonight so at some point on Monday or Tuesday I'll throw a tutorial together for ya Spudman.

Tim
August 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Spuds - I think all you need to do is record the songs(s) you wrote by using a program like Audacity. What I do is to minimize both programs (Audacity and Jam Studio) to 50% each and stack them vertically. Then I hit the start button on Audacity and then the play button on Jam Studio. After all is complete, I use Audacity to remove the blank space at the beginning of the song and use Audacity's fade out effect at the end of the song. Jam Studio does end a song abruptly. So I make sure I add an extra 3 or 4 bars of the last chord to allow the fade out. I hope this helps.

I wrote a song called "Forgiveness". I have no idea what I am doing. I can do verses OK, but the choruses give me problems. I know the choruses should be different than verses, but I am not sure what chord progressions to use.

First time using Box.Net also. I hope the link works.

Here is my song "Forgiveness".

http://www.box.net/shared/sile5r2ah3

Spudman
August 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Tim
I already tried that and didn't have any luck. I think Audacity needs to know where it's recording from and I haven't found a way to tell it that yet. Thanks though.

Tim
August 20th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Spuds - My bad. I use the Cakewalks Pro 2004 to capture the song from Jam Studio. Then I use Audacity to cut and trim the beginning and end of the song. I save it as a wav file and then go back to Cakewalks Pro 2004 to change it into an MP3. Sorry about the confusion.

Justaguyin_nc
August 20th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Tim
I already tried that and didn't have any luck. I think Audacity needs to know where it's recording from and I haven't found a way to tell it that yet. Thanks though.

This might just be relevant to soundblaster cards... but... in your selection of what to record in any program including Audacity you can chose.. "WhatYouHear" as what to record.. it works pretty good.. again.. it might just be with soundblaster cards... also.. installing "lame" will eliminate the need to convert it some place else.. Lame is a free mp3 encoder http://www.mp3-converter.com/encoders/lame_encoder2.htm that works with audacity and other programs..

Tim
August 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Justa - For some reason when I try to record from the computer (not importing) I get a lot of repeats along with an increase in volume until it is uncontrollable. It is like feed back with an acoustic guitar through an amplifier. I do not know how to stop this from happing! Perhaps this is what Spuds was talking about.

Do you install Lame in the same directory as Audacity?

Justaguyin_nc
August 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I doubled checked tim before answering..I got the lame_enc.dll in the audacity directory.. as for your other problem..sounds to me like your MIC is still on and it repeats itself over and over.. set your mic to MUTE and then try recording with "whatyouhear" while playing an mp3 on the net or anyplace..oh... make sure everything else that makes noise is off to while recording except whats playing the mp3..;)

Tim
August 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
OK Justa - I muted all inputs from the Windows Volume control, except "whatI hear". In this case the "wav" is left open. I then turned the volume to "0" on the Audacity sliding microphone input. I set the Audacity output sliding volume around 50% (#5). It seems to record without the "feedback" problems. The only small problem is that the now recorded song in Audacity plays back at a lower volume than normal. I thought the "input volume would be needed to record what is being feed into Audacity. Or would this input be from the computer input such as a guitar or other outside? I don't know. The instructions don't seem very informative to me. And I have Audacity set for "Stereo Mix". Thanks for any help you can provide. Hopefully you are helping other Fretter's who have downloaded this great free program for home recording.

Justaguyin_nc
August 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I meant turn off any external MICS.. you should leave your settings the normal way in audacity..just change input to "whatyouhear".. in windows itself mute your external mic if one is connected.. sorry for confusion

Tim
August 20th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Justa - I have been messing with Audacity. I turned everything off using the Windows volume control except the wav. If I leave Audacity's input and output volume controls at 40%, I still get the feedback results. If I turn the input sliding volume control to zero and the sliding output volume control at 30%, all is OK except the overall recording volume at playback is low. If I turn the sliding output volume control at 40% or higher, the feedback starts to find its way back into the recording.

I tried recording from both Window's Player and downloading my Jam Studio song. It does not matter the end results are the same.

Any other suggestions?

zeusse
August 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hey Tim check the latency slider on your cakewalk if you have one and try it in different positions to see if that helps but how you explained it to Spudman is exactly how I do it so maybe it just works easier in cakewalk for some reason Audacity might have to be reconfigured differently unfortunately I've never used it so I can't offer a suggestion.

Spudman
August 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Where is this "what you hear" record function in Audacity?

I just got an updated version of Audacity. Mine was really old and not very functional. No wise cracks now.:o

Justaguyin_nc
August 20th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Tim, what about recording it a bit low..then adding in some volume with the slider to your left before saving it?

Spudman, I am not sure if it's available with all soundcards.. I have had soundblaster series cards for so long I am use to seeing it as one of the options as record from: pull downs.. same place you would find line-in, line-in2 etc...

Audacity>Edit>preference>recording device> RIGHT HERE

in pull down maybe..MAY BE.. a "What U Hear" option

Spudman
August 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM
It worked with just using stereo from the pull down. It only tracked on the left channel but that's ok. Next time I'll try mono.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
Tim, what about recording it a bit low..then adding in some volume with the slider to your left before saving it?

Justa- I have been doing that, but I also been experimenting with recording the song with Cakewalk as a wav and then importing it into Audacity fro effects and such.

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Spudman, I am not sure if it's available with all soundcards.. I have had soundblaster series cards for so long I am use to seeing it as one of the options as record from: pull downs.. same place you would find line-in, line-in2 etc...

Audacity>Edit>preference>recording device> RIGHT HERE

in pull down maybe..MAY BE.. a "What U Hear" option

Spuds - My Cakewalk help file shows of an example of "whatyouhear" on some versions of the Windows Volume Control panel. You know the one on the task bar. Double click to open it up to its full capacity (Options-Properties- select). My version of Windows does not have the "Whatyouhear" option.

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Can anybody tell me if I have Box Net setup correctly? For some reason it does not look the same as everyone else when I go in without signing in.

http://www.box.net/shared/sile5r2ah3

SuperSwede
August 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah it does look different.. I wonder why. Nice track by the way!

Justaguyin_nc
August 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
I just went there and showed no files Tim.. I know you have an option of showing your whole directory there or just get the public link to each file.. thru the pulldown per file..

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
I just went there and showed no files Tim.. I know you have an option of showing your whole directory there or just get the public link to each file.. thru the pulldown per file..

I have no idea what I just did. I am trying to retrace my tracks.

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure which to choose from.

SuperSwede
August 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Select "My Files" , then you can find "Get public link" for your file. Just copy that adress... it should work, its the way I do it.

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Which of the three do I select?

Justaguyin_nc
August 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Select "My Files" , then you can find "Get public link" for your file. Just copy that adress... it should work, its the way I do it.

+1 same here.. "get Public link" is in the little pulldown on the file itself..right corner

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
I am on the page which I posted below. I guess I need to choose which option I want. I do not see a get Public link" is in the little pulldown on the file itself..right corner. Boy am I computer dumb or what???

Justaguyin_nc
August 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
oops..looks like they did a facelift there... how about get web link in pulldown and share in pulldown.. those do it for ya? also the public / web link comes up in a popup..if ya got yours blocked..

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
OK. Let's try this again.

http://www.box.net/shared/o25ging325

Boy am I confused. Now the link goes into the complete system.

Justaguyin_nc
August 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
forgiveness..got it tim... does look different but thats the way to do it I would assume..at least its working!! :)

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks Justa. I'll keep it as it is for now. I just can't tell if anybody can get into my account and mess things up. Try if you can and let me know.

Justaguyin_nc
August 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Justa. I'll keep it as it is for now. I just can't tell if anybody can get into my account and mess things up. Try if you can and let me know.

Just see the one song tim.. it's all set.. now get those tunes uploaded from jamstudio...

And again thanks Lev for that link..:)