PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Micro

SuperSwede
February 9th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried the MG15 MSII Marshall Mini-Stack? It looks really cool, wouldnt mind having one of those just for the good looks :)

warren0728
February 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
that looks cool....i wonder how it sounds....might have to check it out (don't know if there any available locally but i will look).

Hey tim and iago....want to go on a marshall hunt?!

ww

SuperSwede
February 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Please do that, and tell me (or even better record it) how it sounds!
Warren, got sound recording on your cellphone? ;)

warren0728
February 9th, 2006, 01:29 PM
no sound recording on my phone (unless you want me to call you from the store and you can record it!) I can do movies on my canon camera that records sound too. Might be able convince someone to go with me and record a little of me playing through it.

They have them listed on the Sam Ash website so they probably have one in the store.

ww

Tim
February 9th, 2006, 01:35 PM
WW - March 3rd sounds good to me. I have an MP 3 player that records. I can bring it a long. What time does the hunt begin? Remeber it will take me about 2 hours to get down there. Keep them kids well!

warren0728
February 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM
whatever time is convient for you! We could check out the amps (although i might sneak a peek before the 3rd!), have some lunch and play some music...

ww

Tim
February 9th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I can leave St. Augustine 6:00 or 7:00 am to avoid traffic. We can discuss this further through PMs.

SuperSwede
February 9th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Great! I am looking forward to some recordings! :)

warren0728
February 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I can leave St. Augustine 6:00 or 7:00 am to avoid traffic. We can discuss this further through PMs.
cool...should be fun

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM
SS,

If you have the latest Guitar 1 magazine, on the CD that comes with it Steve Lukather is playing one and it smokes. Killer little stack. Sounds awesome. They're making some really nice stuff nowadays...wish it were like this when I started playing.

Tim
February 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
T2TB - Thanks.

Do you think the on-line website would also have the amp featured?

Tone2TheBone
February 9th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I just checked the website and it looks like its last month's issue that I'm talking about. The site doesn't have any links to the CD from that issue sorry. But take my word for it the Microstack is killerrrrrr. I would love to have one just for the hell of it.

Tim
February 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Ok strike one! Maybe someone else has an idea to feature the Marshall Microstack sound on this net?

Tone2TheBone
February 9th, 2006, 03:20 PM
The March 2006 issue of Guitar World CD also showcases Zack Wylde playing the Star Spangled Banner on the Marshall Microstack. Go get the magazine to check it out.

Tim
February 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM
As always ... thanks Tone.

warren0728
February 9th, 2006, 05:24 PM
The March 2006 issue of Guitar World CD also showcases Zack Wylde playing the Star Spangled Banner on the Marshall Microstack. Go get the magazine to check it out.

cool....i'll go get it tomorrow...i wonder how the sound compares to the vox?

I know it doesn't have as many bells and whistles....

ww : )

Tone2TheBone
February 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Tim - you're welcome.

Warren - The Marshall has a mean buzz but it's a straightforward amp nothing fancy. I'd say it's probably going to sound like one of the Vox UK models dimed on the gain. Sorta like the UK Modern. Even solid state Marshalls have "that certain sound". Speaking of which I picked up one of those little "Jack Black" MS-2 battery powered Marshall practice amps and that also manages to sound like a Marshall. :)

warren0728
February 9th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Warren - The Marshall has a mean buzz but it's a straightforward amp nothing fancy. I'd say it's probably going to sound like one of the Vox UK models dimed on the gain. Sorta like the UK Modern. Even solid state Marshalls have "that certain sound". Speaking of which I picked up one of those little "Jack Black" MS-3 battery powered Marshall practice amps and that also manages to sound like a Marshall. :)
yeah i have a fender mini twin mt-10 (special silverface edition) battery powered amp that actually is pretty impressive.

http://www.warrenworld.com/mt-10.jpg

good for playing on the couch or when i use headphones....never tried a pedal in front of it though!

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 9th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hey Warren thats all cool eh. The only pedals I've tried on the Mini Me Marshall are the Fab pedals. The OD "channel" on the little amp is hilariously good. I would love to hear that Fender of yours!

SuperSwede
February 10th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I have the little mini marshall as well. It sounds really cool ! :)
The mini twin looks really nice too, warren.
Perhaps its time to start collecting them all......hmm, I wonder if Mesa Boogie will start producing Mark. Mini or something ;)

warren0728
February 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
well i picked up the guitar one magazine and checked out steve lukather playing through the Marshall Microstack....it sounds really good.

i put up the video on my website if you want to check it out. It's a .mov file....works with quicktime and hopefully windows media player.

pm me for the link

ww

SuperSwede
February 11th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Thanks Warren!

Yeah, it sure got that Marshall sound. However I would love to hear the clean sound, so if you have the time please record some for me.

It sure is a really nice stack, and perhaps the wife would allow me to have it in the living room :)

Nelskie
February 11th, 2006, 09:57 AM
About a year and a half ago, I had a Danelectro Mod 6 guitar, which came with a neato-bandito "Amp In A Bag" gig bag. Indeed, it was a cool idea, but the sound through that little transistor-sized amp was dreadful. Imagine any guitar sounding its worst, and then amplifying it through an AM radio. :eek: Yeah, nasty indeed! I haven't played the Fender or Marshall units, so I cannot compare them to my Dano mini-amp. But if the sound is anything like that, I'd be reaching for my acoustic instead. Here's a link for the "Amp In A Bag" at Victor Litz Music:

http://www.victorlitz.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=286&catid=14

Tone2TheBone
February 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Nel,

These amps aren't Valve Juniors so they're going to be....a little small sounding. What you've got to do is imagine you're a real small guy to enjoy these things. Seriously though the MS-2 sounds its best at full volume and gain which is what it was designed for really. You can't really get a loud clean sound on 1 watt. But it's all apples and oranges....acoustics and battery powered toy amps. :)

warren0728
February 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
ok fretters....it was a rainy day today and conner and i went out to look at guitar stuff. We went to sam ash and i tried the marshall mini stack. I liked it alot...in fact i am probably going to trade the vox (ducks down) on one. We brought my digital camera that has a movie function and conner filmed me playing the mini stack with a nice telecaster.

I hate playing in front of people, especially when i am being filmed by my 9 year old...man did i feel like a geek! Not only that but the guy on the other side of the amp row was a metal head shredder (you'll hear him). I also tried a new pick...a very thick pick (a dunlop 2.0mm) which i like but need to play more to get used to.

I don't think the quality of this recording sound wise and playing wise does justice to the amp but all i can say is i really liked it. Conner had fun video taping me and got "creative" on the dirty channel video!

pm me for the links. (both ,avi and .mov formats)

ww

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Thanks Warren :)

That amp looks really nice, and actually a bit bigger than I thought it should be. But it seemed to squeal a lot, but that could have been the shredder dude ;)

Your son did a great job, and the audio was really good.

warren0728
February 12th, 2006, 03:43 AM
ss,
i did get some feedback when i switched to the dirty setting...i think a lot of it had to do with amp placement and where i was sitting (with the amp sitting on the top shelf the bottom speaker was almost lined up directly with the guitar)....the shredder dude didn't help much either....

Conner had a blast filming me (in fact he wanted to film some more once we got home!) but i really felt awkward having him do it!

ww

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2006, 05:20 AM
I really must thank you again, although its kinda wierd to have someone help me check out a amp that is thousands of miles from here :)

The amp seemed to have problem keeping a clean sound, but that might have been you cranking upp the gain? It sure sounds like "that Marshall sound" to me. Not too far away from their old Valvestate line (solidstate with a tube in the preamp).

warren0728
February 12th, 2006, 06:26 AM
i had the gain up a little...it sounded pretty clean to me...might just be the recording quality. I'll test it further if it ends up in my house! :D

ww

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Somehow I think it will end up in your house :)

And what a joy to play that amp without "crazy shredder" playing beside you.

warren0728
February 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Somehow I think it will end up in your house :)

And what a joy to play that amp without "crazy shredder" playing beside you.
it will probably end up in my house....but it's going to have to wait....time has slipped on me and i just realized i'm leaving for nyc on thursday....don't need to be buying new equipment right before my trip. But it will be high on the priority list when i get home!

ww

r_a_smith3530
February 12th, 2006, 11:04 PM
...and to think, I've been playing my basic little Pignose for years!

:R

warren0728
February 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM
i am having 2nd thoughts about the marshall. I played my vox last night and am now unsure if i want to sink another 100 bucks for a ss amp. I really want to get a second tube amp (like a traynor YCV20WR)...here is the link:

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18&id=251

I played one at Ron's a couple of months ago and really like it. I'm thinking it might be silly to get the marshall when my vox works just fine. I do like the marshall though and might end up with it anyway....just a little more undecided than i was a couple of days ago....

ww :confused:

Tone2TheBone
February 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM
It's nice to have problems like yours Warren. "Gee...which amp should I get(or keep)". heh Goes right up there with the which guitar should I get problem. ;)

The Vox is probably way more versatile than the Marshall Microstack. You can keep your cool clean sounds on the Vox. Marshalls, even SS ones don't seem to be made to run clean, at least not at loud levels. Take the Marshall back and pick up your Lester! (if you haven't gotten it already).

warren0728
February 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM
yeah...i've decided to stick with the vox for now...the marshall definately has the cool factor, but after thinking about it the vox is just fine!

it was fun trying it out at the store though!

ww

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 04:25 AM
That traynor looks really nice!
I am also on a amp hunt, but I havent decided yet. Currently I am interested in a Laney Tube Fusion 300 (SS Hybrid), and a Roland Bolt 60 (Tube).
I would really like a SS amp since I miss the sound of the Roland Jazz Chorus I used to play on. I have had a Fender Twin amp, and it sounded really good but the weight and the insane cost of tube-replacements forced me to get rid of it.

Tone2TheBone
February 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Oh great now that I'm at work and have a faster connection the links to Warren's Marshall demo are gone!

Tone2TheBone
March 9th, 2006, 05:42 PM
As a side note to this thread I was watching Zakk play on the micro stack and doesn't he have an unusual picking style?

http://marshallamps.com/zakk/

SuperSwede
March 10th, 2006, 05:41 AM
He really digs deep into that guitar.

warren0728
March 10th, 2006, 08:12 AM
now i want one again ;)

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM
LMAO @ Warren. Just THINK how your beautiful music room will enhance the looks of your Micro. I can already envision it.

Super - Yeah he almost looks like he's clawwwing the guitar. I've just never seen anyone pick like that. It might be because he's also using his bare fingers on some of those licks while he's holding the pick. I just thought it was crazy looking. THE CLAWWWW. Zakk is cool. Hell of a patriot and hell of a geetar playah. And he's right ya know..."there can be only one". Jim Marshall rules!

SuperSwede
March 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Well I wouldnt buy a used car from him, but he sure can play!

Justaguyin_nc
March 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Ya know Warren... that VOX does look pretty lonely next to the stool... I bet the Marshall would slide right under the Acoustic on that wall.. man it would look good there...