PDA

View Full Version : How has your winter been going?

Myles
February 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Here in Alberta, Canada we are currently experiencing the mildest winter I've ever experience in my life. We haven't managed to keep snow on the ground for more than a couple days and I can't even remember if it hit -20 (Celcuis, mind my spelling) this year yet.

Even though the not so friendly groundhog saw his shadow, I'm not really concerned with 6 more weeks of this winter. It's been easy times for us western canadians this year. (unless you are in the snow blower industry)

How has your winter been?

SuperSwede
February 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM
We have had around -20c for a while, but the spring seems to be on its way, now I only have -6c.

I havent seen a single groundhog in my entire life, but we nearly stamped "FORD" on a deer today ;)

Tone2TheBone
February 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Dry. Unseasonable warm. Another year of drought in the American West and I hear the Polar Bears are going on a fast track to become Endangered Species because of Global Warming. 2012 is fast approaching.

Spudman
February 10th, 2006, 10:14 PM
We finally got a good snow year and I got cabin fever. I'm dying to get out on my bicycle. I do believe that "2112" is approaching instead. We're on the train to Bankok aboard the China express....tra la la.

The G-string
February 11th, 2006, 12:09 AM
2012 is fast approaching.

:mad: I have kids that need to grow old. So hush!

Nelskie
February 11th, 2006, 08:59 AM
January was unseasonably mild here in the Dakotas & MN, with below-average precipitation. February, so far, has been the exact opposite. Colder temps, and a LOT more snow. I've shoveled (3) times this week already. Will be doing it again this morning. Good for XC skiing, tho', so maybe I'll break out the boards sometime this weekend, and go for a slide. Oh well, at least we're out of the woods as far as really, really cold weather is concerned.

warren0728
February 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM
we've had a really mild winter her in florida.....the next few days will be chilly...highs in the 50's lows in the 30's....that's about as cold as it gets here!

of course i'll be *****in' in july/august when its 90's during the day and 80's at night!

ww

r_a_smith3530
February 11th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Well, add the Chicago area to those experiencing a very mild winter. Of course, I listen to FOX News and don't believe any of that scientific hogwash about Global Warming! ;) NOT!

Katastrophe
February 12th, 2006, 07:13 AM
The previous couple of weeks have been nice, with highs in the 60's and 70's... Yesterday and today have been cold (something like 26 this morning).

That's the thing about Texas weather... If ya don't like it, stick around for about 5 minutes... It'll change!

warren0728
February 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM
same here in florida....one day the heater is on, the next day we have to crank up the a/c. Kids go to school at 7:30am and its 40 degrees out....bundle them up and then it's close to 80 when they walk home!

not to mention pouring rain and lightning for an hour than clear blue skies than pouring again an hour later!...crazy :D

ww

Katastrophe
February 12th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I hear ya about the rain... I grew up in East Texas, and it was similar. Nothing like a 98% humidity, 100 degree summer day, with mosquitoes as big as a Studebaker!

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM
98% humidity!
It must be hard to dry clothes in that climate...

Spudman
February 12th, 2006, 10:40 PM
It's also hard to keep your cereal and cookies crisp in that kind of humidity too. Growing up on the southern USA seaboard was really a let down when I just had to have a nice...yummy...crisp grahm cracker.

r_a_smith3530
February 12th, 2006, 10:55 PM
This reminds me, I once spent a year in Albuquerque, NM, and Hostess Twinkies taste different there. The same goes for McDonald's burgers. It's something to do with the dry climate (as compared to Chicago). The bread is just a shade drier.

BTW, the year I spent down there was during the Bears '85 season. It was a gas to wear my Bears shirt to work the day after Chicago clobbered Dallas 44-0!

Anyway, I listened to the last playoff game prior to the Superbowl through three states on my car's radio.

Iago
February 13th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I went to a camping site in Cocoa Beach - FL this weekend... guys, we freezed!! But that`s part of the fun to me really, cause the temperature never goes so low where I live.

tremoloman
February 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I just got dumped with 2 feet of snow in my yard. Before that, we hardly saw a flake all season. It figures my father and I got snowmobiles becuase "this was supposed to be such a bad winter". The Farmer's Almanac is 93% accurate, but I think this season falls in the other 7%. I hope I'm wrong!

Tim
February 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I do not know about Warren down there in Orlando, but I am freezing my *** off up here in the Jacksonville area. I actually had ice on my windsheild this morning. I had to wait for the defroster to warm up and melt it. I do not own an ice scraper. I threw it away years ago when I moved down from Ohio.

warren0728
February 13th, 2006, 06:36 PM
you've got it a little colder than us tim....but we did get to below freezing last night and probably tonight.

I better get used to it...i'll be in nyc thursday night and it isn't supposed to get much above 40 while i'm there!

ww

r_a_smith3530
February 14th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Well, for decades now, we've been messing with Mother Nature, so I guess it only figures that she would finally mess back!

Tim
February 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Warren - NEW YORK CITY??? Are you nuts? Hey, they have these things made with plastic that fit in you pocket. You snap a metal tab which causes the liquid to crystallize. In the process heat is generated. You microwave or boil them back into the liquid stage. Buy a box full when you go to NYC. Have a safe trip up and back and stay warm. Hopefully Florida will be thawed out by the time you return home.

R_A – I think it’s more Mother Nature is getting even. She sure is messing’ with the weather the past 2 years. Personally I am ready to move out of Florida before it becomes a barrier reef. Hurricanes, earth quakes, fires, tornadoes, tsunamis, volcanoes, what else can she throw at us? Oh yea, can’t forget mud slides. South America had a bad one last year. A whole village was wiped off the face of the earth in minutes. No survivors!

Shoot! They already had the first depression off of Africa last month. Six months ahead of the beginning of Hurricane season. I think 2006 is going to be a bad time for the USA, the Caribbean and Mexico.

Tone2TheBone
February 14th, 2006, 11:12 AM
The world is ending and the aliens are coming back....go get those Marshalls and Les Pauls while you can. hahaha

warren0728
February 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM
The world is ending and the aliens are coming back....go get those Marshalls and Les Pauls while you can. hahaha
sounds like a perfectly sane reason to me!

ww

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM
The world is ending and the aliens are coming back....hahaha

You mean that they have been here before??? :eek:

Tone2TheBone
February 14th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Oh yeah! They built the pyramids remember? ;)

Tim
February 14th, 2006, 06:44 PM
They also designed the first humbucker!

Spudman
February 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Where do you think WE came from?

If California falls into the ocean do you think that all the guitars will float?

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I hope so cause I'll have oceanfront property practically. Well almost. I'm a good swimmer and diver though. :)

r_a_smith3530
February 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I hope so cause I'll have oceanfront property practically. Well almost. I'm a good swimmer and diver though. :)

Must be from all the practice you get diving in the Rio Grande during the fall and winter! ;)

SuperSwede
February 16th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I HAVE SEEN THE AMERICAN TV SHOW INVASION! TONE DONT SWIM IN THE WATER! THE ALIENS ARE GLOWING!

Or: Have anyone seen the tv-show Invasion? They started showing it here last week...

Tone2TheBone
February 16th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Rob - I read somewhere you used to live here a spell. Lately there's been very little water in the Rio because of the drought. And speaking of not swimming in the river (SS)...I'd probably glow from all the toxins let alone the aliens. LMAO