PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Routers Grrrrrrrrrr,

6STRINGS 9LIVES
February 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Anyone ever go through wireless router hell.. i've had a wireless router working here at home for a little less than a year.. on monday i lost all ability to connect ..i started troubleshooting my network , checked all the simple stuff, long story short , 4 days later , i'm back on line , it seems the wireless router decided to reset itself clearing out all settings and passwords.. i was continually urged to call linksys technical support before i had a coronary, there was no way i going to subject myself to that ( i never ask for directions when travelling with my wife either), so i muddled through and finally got the satisfaction of fixing it my self ( Tone i know what a knob twisting, philips toting , kinda guy you are so i'll thank you in advance for that round of applause)..its black and tan time .......6S9L

Myles
February 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I must say I sympathize with you whether its wireless keyboards or mice I've had nothing bad frustrating experiences with wireless technology. Wireless technology is going to have to make some major improvements before I'll commit any of my time or money to it.

SuperSwede
February 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I have a Belkin wireless 802.11 G base station which works every day. I havenĀ“t had a single "breakdown". My wireless mouse works just like a wired mouse, unfortunately I always forget to put it in the dock so it often runs out of battery.

6s9l, most routers have the option of saving your settings in a config file so you easily can get it working again after a reset.

r_a_smith3530
February 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Reset itself???

Did LinkSys concur with this diagnosis? Having spent six years in onsite desktop, server, and network support for a Fortune 100, something like that is rare to the point of being almost impossible.

If that is in fact what happened, I would be looking to replace the hardware because, if it happened once, it can happen again.

A much more likely scenario however, is that someone out there was able to breach security and get to your wireless box, resetting it externally through an unpatched hole in the router's operating firmware. You might want to check for any flash updates to the router's firmware.