PDA

View Full Version : My first... video?

oldguy
August 18th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Well, it's not much, but I finally got something together...on the 'Tube.
Had a weird clicking noise on some parts... but I'm still learning, so... here goes.
I wanted to play with the Danelectro pedals and my Switch through the Traynor, so I just shut my eyes, clenched my teeth, and went for it.
To say that I was a little nervous is an understatement, but here it is, noise, glitches, and all. BTW, I gave a nod to TheFret, Dolphinstreet, and Robert in the description, hope that's OK.
I just broke it down into smaller pieces, and put the whole video on, I need practice and advice... suggestions?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CHiNlHN6RQg&mode=user&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxzaElBzFKE&mode=user&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IzIGcEfc1zg&mode=user&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YaN521ATFrA

Katastrophe
August 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Yahooo, oldguy! You got some great tones out of those Dano pedals. No advice to give you here. Everything sounds great. I don't know how to stop the popping noises you were getting, either, but from some of the YouTube vids I've seen, a pop here or there is no big deal.

Really cool jazzy, bluesy sound. I wish I had your chord vocabulary.

I even dug the overalls!

M29
August 18th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Very nice oldguy! Sweet strummin and pickin. The guitar sounds Stratish at times very clean and toneful. Thanks for the demo and the playin, don't appear a bit nervous to me.

M29

helliott
August 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Suggestions, yes. More, more please. That tone is just killer -- so smooth. And your chord structures make me feel positively junior. My only suggestion would be to be bold with that kind of talent and tone.
That version of Crazy is a little different than mine, but I like yours better -- more bluesy. Where'd you get that, or is it outa your head?

Spudman
August 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Wonderful stuff there OG. Especially the Lowell George costume. :D lol I guess you got Halloween figured out early?

Lovely chord sequences.

oldguy
August 18th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks a ton, guys. I get so frustrated when things turn out sucky, but such is life. I'm new to video on the web, so it's slow.
Great to be your own worst critic, ain't it? :D
Seriously, thanks for listening.

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2007, 12:00 AM
That is really great Glenn! Beautiful sounds as always. Been a while since I have heard some. Thanks for posting it! The only suggestion I would have is to show your face some more! The overalls remind me of a Buddy Guy album cover. (Feels like Rain, I believe).

SuperSwede
August 19th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Hey, that was really cool Oldguy! I love that guitar :)

I also thought about Buddy Guy! ;)

FrankAxtell
August 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM
OG..your tone is very very good...my suggestion would be to listen to and transcribe stuff like Robben Ford and Larry Carlton...by the way ...I'm doing the same myself....also get together with good players, guys that are a bit better than you and do gigs or organize a jam session, so you can get the live interaction with a live rhythm section, so many musical things can only be learned by playing live with others...man your ready to play out...go for it!

Justaguyin_nc
August 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Great to be your own worst critic, ain't it? :D

Man, and this the guy always telling me not to....;)

Enjoyed them all Oldguy... I don't see what part ya didn't like... hey, seeing there is audio... lets get some talk on which pedals ya was pressing.. or get fancy like robert and add those in with names appearing on the screen.. other then that.. this was a good time... thanks for shaing!

Tim
August 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Great playing OG. I am going to study your technique and learn from your playing. This is what I have been talking about. A nice easy slow tune to study. Thanks.

oldguy
August 19th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Umm, let's see...
Glad the overalls were popular, :) lots of pockets and comfy for construction work.

helliot, mostly what I play (crazy, etc.) is what I figure out myself, so it may or may not be "right", but it's what I hear in my head. I think what you might have heard was me attempting Georgia, tho. Here's the other...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kQbEFtoNRwE&mode=user&search=

sunvalleylaw, I put my face in this one more, per your suggestion. I was trying to show my hands better before.

Frank, thanks for your input, I think everyone here has alot of respect for your playing/writing/production skills. I do usually try to listen and transcribe others, but more in the winter if I'm laid off construction. I usually only get home on weekends during the work season.

Justa, I will try and comment on what pedals are used, I'm still getting used to this video stuff. Plus I feel self-conscious in front of the camera, go figure. The above clip is the Corned Beef reverb and the PB&J delay into the clean channel of the Traynor YCV40, and the neck pu of the Switch guitar.

Tim, thank you. When I started this, I tried to show my hands better, as I said. I guess I'm not sure of a goal here. I'd like to learn more, so suggestions are welcomed, and I'd like to help, too, if I can show some licks that are useful.

And thank you all for taking the time to watch/listen.

ted s
August 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Nice work OG ! Very smooth and relaxed playing.
A definite pleasure to watch. Looking forward to seeing more.
Finally a face to the coveralls ;)

250Keith
August 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Very nice! I will be stealing some of your moves.
I like the tone and I'm going to check out the pedals not bad for the price!
Thanks for sharing.
Keith.

oldguy
August 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Sure, steal away. Give a nod to Robert for his help and expertise if possible.
I try to add a tag when I can. Still getting that darn popping noise...:mad:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QmNZHcQN2w8

duhvoodooman
August 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hey, pretty cool, OG! The pops weren't really as bad as you made them out to be. And the playing was nice and relaxed (I'd get all tensed up in front of a camera, I'm sure!) and sounded really good. Nice clean tone, and the pedals sounded good, too. Keep 'em coming! Maybe something a little more raucous, like maybe with a certain yellow pedal?? ;) :D :DR

oldguy
August 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM
That ZYS is in the chain, Voodoo. I just need some more practice and time to do it justice. I'm thinkin' I need one more pedal... a vibe or something that will do a good Univibe thing... any suggestions?:) :confused:
BTW, thanks for taking the time to listen.

Robert
August 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Nice! :D Man, you play some cool stuff! I did recognize some of those turnarounds... sweet!

I notice you do the hybrid picking stuff too. Works great, doesn't it?

What guitar is that?

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
sunvalleylaw, I put my face in this one more, per your suggestion. I was trying to show my hands better before.

That was great! I think that is a pretty good compromise for showing what your hands are doing, and showing you. The photographer in me says the best shot would shift the frame down a little bit to bring your head up closer to the top of the frame. But that is just plain nitpicking from an amateur photographer.

As everyone says, I love your relaxed delivery. You must be a good golfer! Really nice to have you posting again. I always miss your presence when work keeps you away. :)

Lev
August 20th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Wow, 11 videos in a weekend - it took me a year to put 4 up!!
Really nice playing man, I loved Crazy - I'm definiely going to be picking up some tips from that video - those Jazzy chords sound gorgeous!

oldguy
August 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Nice! :D Man, you play some cool stuff! I did recognize some of those turnarounds... sweet!

I notice you do the hybrid picking stuff too. Works great, doesn't it?

What guitar is that?

Thanks, Robert, I thought you'd notice. I try and visit your video lessons @ Dolphinstreet when I'm home each weekend. If I can just add one lick or turnaround at a time, that's enough. Then I practice it. If it doesn't work "your" way, I try to find "my" way to do it. Then practice it in various keys. And some of those licks I knew, but I liked your way of playing them better, I said "Hey! Why didn't I think of that?":D
And you thought you gave up teaching...;) :p
The hybrid picking, I started that for economy of movement in the wrist when carpal tunnel and arthritis became a problem. I could never double pick w/ a flatpick, just don't work for me, so I clawed at the strings with the middle and ring fingers till I got where I could hit 'em.:D
The guitar is the Switch Innovo IV. 2 EMG select HB's and a Wilkinson trem.
Mostly played on the neck HB through the Traynor YCV40 Anniversary model.
Man, Canada builds some awesome amps!

Sunvalley, thanks again. I will try and adjust the camera, appreciate the tip.
I don't play golf, but I am very relaxed when pounding grade stakes in the ground and writing on them with a chisel tip marker!:)

Lev, I shot the videos in 3 separate sittings, then transferred them from the DV camcorder to Win Mov Maker in short pieces to make it easier to upload.
Glad you liked the chords. Thank you. Mostly barre chord versions of the standard E , C , and A shapes I learned on the first and second frets when I started, then I hunt for the relative minor, maj 7th, and figure out the add9, 6, flat 7, etc, till it sounds kinda like the song (to my ears, at least).

Robert
August 20th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Glenn, that is EXACTLY what I tell people when they ask me how they can use licks. You learn it, but you make it fit into your playing your "own" way.

The Traynor you have is a great amp, well priced too. I almost bought one, but then I got the Hellhound, which is somewhat similar.

Tone2TheBone
August 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Where the heck have I BEEN. That IS you on youtube! Cool! Sounds good too. I'm adding you to my buddy list. :D

ted s
August 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Hey, maybe you fretters with YouTube id's can post your handles so we can find you there ?

Tone2TheBone
August 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Mine is T2TB

Justaguyin_nc
August 20th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Oldguy! Ya video nut you...lol... keep them comming... I can learn from them as well.. your doing an excellent job and the videos look great..thanks for sharing!

Justaguyin_nc
August 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Mine is T2TB

My goodness..will you look at that Marshall Jubilee combo!! and hear that playing... that's playing!

Mine is Justaguyinnc ummm..I got playlists to some great sounds..

Jimi75
August 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
The first thing that popped into my eye were the "crazy" tags you used....
You have a great tone on that clips - if only other people with presenting pedals were able to present their clips in such a quality.

Those clips are just great,your playing is really fat!

tjcurtin1
August 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Sweet sound, oldguy! I'd love to learn some of the chords you're working with, as I love the sounds you're making - the kind of stuff I dig. Could you do a lesson for us - or get Robert to? (This is in reference to the first clip on the list - haven't heard the rest yet!)

Best,
Ted

Hogfullofblues
August 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Wow, those are all just excellent! The word that comes to mind is "smoooth", coveralls and all. I've bookmarked em in my Lessons folder and added you to my list of Fretters I hope to someday play as well as. Just inspiring. Thanks!

zeusse
August 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Wonderfull vids oldguy that tone sounds great I haven't done any video's but you've definately made me want to do some I don't have a video camcorder but I guess I can use my web cam and dub the audio in through the computer somehow.....I say throw some more vids up you did such a great job on this one...and I didn't notice you were nervous so the next bunch should be easy for you:D

tjcurtin1
August 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I can't find reference to which danelectro pedals you're using here, OG - could you let us know; I love the sounds you're getting and I don't know a thing about pedals.