PDA

View Full Version : Hiwatt Custom 20HD Mini Stack

Justaguyin_nc
August 19th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hiwatt Custom 20HD Mini Stack
The big companies all seem to have these Mini Stacks...
this one is for me... I waited a few weeks before spouting off about it..
Can be had between 150.00-300.00 used and worth it!

Features:
It's all Korean to me!
Hiwatt Custom 20HD Mini Stack is well, a mini (about 43 inches high)version of the Hiwatt Stacks [head and 2 cabs]
Two Channels, clean and Distorted works off footswitch or button on front.
20 watt Solid State. Loud enough for home or in the studio.
Effects loop, Aux.In, headphone jack, and speakers out (2-8ohm)
My cabs contain 10" Hiwatt speakers. (there is a version with little 4x4 1/2 in the cabs that suppose to sound tiny?? tinny?? they changed to these 10 inchers..they say Hiwatt all I know about them)
The "look" overall is 100% Hiwatt! makes me grin!

Sound Quality:
It's not suppose to be a Stadium Amp! I don't get the bad reviews on these things over the net. This amp is everything it states to be! 20 watts of Solid State , looking like the originals and trying to sound like it's big brothers but without the tubes!
It does it pretty darn well imho! Mine does have a slight hiss past noon on the Master.. But hiss is gone once playing and for home use thats already pretty darn loud!
Turn all your knobs OFF.. crank your Master to what you wish top volume to be for in-home or studio!
Now start bringing all the other knobs up a little at a time.. (they all act like volume knobs, adding in their sound) My goodness..that worked!
The amp sounds great! Has presence and all.. even from two little 10 inch speakers!
The cleans are just that, Clean! Add some pedals into the clean.. use your distorion pedals up front , than your flangers/phasers/chorus/delays/reverb..
Now tell me this does not sound like an awesome little Home/Studio amp!
It actually sounds full and responds like my little Epi tube amps but with a better sound to me! I decided to get rid of my little 5 watt (about the same volume) tube amps with this replacing them, I just can't have so many amps in one room. Ofcourse I still need the big tube amp coming also..:) I don't care much for the distortion channel, although it to can be used. its just another tone..added bonus imho.
I don't know about over the top heavy metal..
But for Blues to Classic rock and Alternative it's all there to be had!
Want a home version of Pink Floyd? This is it for me right now..just add backing tracks and pedals! ofcoursemy playing sucks..but I know the sound is in there..;)
Want some WHO? Hit the Distortion and again just add backing tracks and pedals!
Use the Aux in and put some Backing tracks into it..
it's not going to keep above a LIVE drummer guys.. it was not designed for that!
Use what you have available.. Backing tracks at a descent volume!
Gain, fine, treble, mids, bass and master all work together.. use them properly and this amp rocks!
Headphones can be used as private listening or lineout to Computer for direct recording..
what more can you ask for? This is one sweet sounding unit for what "it is"!

Reliability:
I got mine used... it works.. it's solid state? it should continue to work! The Tolex is not thick Like the BIG Hiwatts..but it's useable if handled with care. Same with the handles and cabs.. just don't knock it around and it should last!
Customer Support:
Hiwatt/Fernandes answered e-mails right away, but I was looking for a manual just to have. Either written or PDF. They have neither to offer. Short to the point return e-mails. Don't have Sorry.

Overall:
I have been playing for awhile now and have gone thru some interesting amps trying to find "my sound".
This Hiwatt Custom Mini Stack was purchased for looks alone! I was actually going to gut it and put one of those little 5 watt tube amps inside. Once I started playing it, that Idea ended! I went by reviews that this amp sucks! The reviews imho are mainly wrong! This is a great USED deal on the market! For what it is , A HOME/STUDIO amp! Great looks and sound! Would buy it again in a heartbeat! Great Cleans and takes to pedals
like a tube amp.. Actually, I have a pedal that cost more then this whole mini stack.. together they are awesome imho! think of what you really want.. 20 watts is not for gigging or playing "live" but with Backing tracks and at descent volumes this amp delivers!! Compared to the $3000 version , whats not to like?

250Keith
August 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Good reveiw, I think it looks cool and it's price cant be beat, looks like a fun little amp to have around, is there any place on the net to have a listen?
Have fun with it.
Keith.

Katastrophe
August 19th, 2007, 12:40 PM
That's awesome, and it's different from the Marshall ministacks. Looks like you made a great buy.

Justaguyin_nc
August 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Actually, I have yet to find a soundclip on the net for this... I would...but I really wouldn't make it sound as good as it should sound... maybe will in the next week or so.. to think these listed like 599-699 sumptin... and seen the last one sell for $150.00 on ebay... the looks are worth that! lol.. it's just stands a bit taller then a strat in the stand... good for tight spaces..

thanks for the comments..

oldguy
August 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Looks like a baby Bulldog, cool! Are they still making these things, Justa?

Justaguyin_nc
August 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Looks like a baby Bulldog, cool! Are they still making these things, Justa?

I think they dropped this thing... there is a guy in florida that looks like a regular dealer that has them listed at $399.00 now.. but no replies from emails...

Ok seeing OldGuy had the 'nerve' to use Youtube cause he can play... I am gonna use it to make people avoid youtube..lol..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tWBJYy7jl5s

there is what it sounds like.. but times it by 5 at least... your right oldguy..ya get nervous doing that...lol

oldguy
August 19th, 2007, 09:25 PM
LOVED IT!!! LOL... I've always been camera shy... congrats on having the cajones to do it!:DR I almost didn't post the video I made, but, what the heck, if you don't want to watch it, turn it off.
Nice pedalboard, BTW.
I did it a bit different... I just recorded, and then put it all out there, love it ore hate it, there it was.
You sounded really good, man. Put some more stuff up, it doesn't matter what, give us some idea of what those pedals can do, play that Strat on different settings, play through another amp... and... have FUN!!!

250Keith
August 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Right on good job!
So how do you guys post a vid? do you just shoot the video and down load and then post it up? I have no clue:D

Justaguyin_nc
August 19th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Haha.. thanks guys... Oldguy? whatcha mean ya did it different? ya think I scripted that? lol... it's all good huh...

Keith..yup thats about it... I just took a digital camera that happens to shoot movie mode to.. onto SD cards... then just uploaded the whole thing to Youtube.. seeing I really had no intentions of editing out the bad..or nothing would have been left...lol..that was actually 56mb of footage.. in MOV format (default on that camera).. they allow 100mb and then I think convert it again before posting it..

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Really cool! Way to just thrown down and post it!

250Keith
August 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks I will have to try it, mabe!:D
I've only realy been playing for a short time 8 months.

Justaguyin_nc
August 20th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Go for it Keith... more ya do the easier it gets... and as long as it's sounding better to you thats all that matters!