PDA

View Full Version : V-Picks

EscalonJon
February 10th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I know, I know...I've already written about picks in the product review section.

Truth be known, I'm continually and incessantly searching for that evasive "perfect tone" like many of you are. I'm always trying new stuff, going to guitar shows, and jams looking to steal ideas from wherever I can. Anyway, I ran across a pick that I couldn't believe. The guys in the Paul Reed Smith forum (Birds and Moons) are going nuts over it. I hear Robben Ford even has some. Bands in England and Germany are using them with great results. It's called the V-Pick, and you've got to try one. Read about it:

http://www.v-picks.com/

http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19530&page=1&pp=10

Has anyone else out there tried them? What do you think? Do you agree that they are the best pick out there?

SuperSwede
February 11th, 2006, 02:43 AM
They seem nice, havent seen them in a store however. I probably will buy one when they are available here, but I doubt that they are as good as the ultimate pick : "Big Stubby 3.0" :)

warren0728
February 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM
They seem nice, havent seen them in a store however. I probably will buy one when they are available here, but I doubt that they are as good as the ultimate pick : "Big Stubby 3.0" :)
they aren't in stores...the guy makes them all by hand in his garage....

ww

EscalonJon
March 21st, 2006, 07:58 PM
These V-Picks are really taking off. Giant threads of raves about them on the PRS and Axe House forums.

Robert
March 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM
They seem very interesting. I think I will order some.

Jon, you have some of these then? What's better about them in your opinion?

EscalonJon
March 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Hey, Robert!

What's good about them? Just about everything...

The tone is wonderful for most styles. I like the fact that they are sensitive to attack. They can be very mellow hybrid picking. The V-Pick will emulate the tone of your fingers and create a very even sound. When you dig in, they will get "angry" when you want them to. Some of the reviewers who are shredders don't seem to care for them as much, but then again some do. They "glide" across the strings very well for arpegiating, chording, or single lines, and actually have a kind of "sexy" feel as you play. And they are VERY COOL LOOKING.:R

I have met Vinni, the Prez of V-Picks, and he is a straight up dude. A real nice guy and AWESOME git player. He has picks in the hands of Robben ford, Gabe Manzo of Malo, maybe Jorge Santana, WCR pickups guru Jim Wagner, etc. If you order some, tell him John Dean said to throw in an extra. Vinni would appreciate having you in his corner. I think you'll really dig them....Let me know. (I sound like a salesman, don't I. I'm just really stoked on them.):D

Check out vinni's sites.

Take care,

John

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Escalon, Vinnie was here a few dayz ago...hmmmm...I wonder where he went?

How do the V-picks compare to the Dava Master Controls?

ZoSo65
March 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I can't wait to try mine!
I'll lets yous know how it goes! :R

EscalonJon
March 26th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I've tried Davas years ago, but I don't know about the Master Controls. In my opinion, there is really not another pick like the "V". If you like them at all you'll get to loving them real quick and probably be hooked.

I didn't know Vinni was on this thread. I'll email him and have him chime in and answer questions. Check out the PRS birds and Moons site, PRS Gear Page site, and the Axe House Consortium site to check out what people are saying. Vinni has answered a lot of questions on those.

Oh, and Robert, I finally got a Bad Monkey.....TIGHT!

Later...

Vinni Smith
March 26th, 2006, 09:02 PM
So, I hear you're talking about me behind my back, huh John?

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Watch out the Artesians are coming!!!!

Robert
March 26th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I've ordered some V-picks too, can't wait to get them!

The Bad Mo is pretty sweet, huh, Jon?

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I've ordered some V-picks too, can't wait to get them!

The Bad Mo is pretty sweet, huh, Jon?

So which sizes did you order Robert?

Robert
March 26th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I got Medium size. Hope that's a good one.

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I got Medium size. Hope that's a good one.

Hard to tell which to choose from the penny & quarter.

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Hard to tell which to choose from the penny & quarter.

Maybe we should just play with a penny or a quarter (or a euro cent or canadian dime--dime that sucha!)

duhvoodooman
March 27th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Maybe we should just play with a penny or a quarter...
Which corner? :D

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Use Abe's head.

Spudman
March 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Rick Medlock from Blackfoot and Lynyrd Skynyrd does use a quarter.

marnold
March 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Seems to me that I heard that Clapton uses/used a filed-down peso.

ZoSo65
March 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Got it Vin! MAN that was dam fast shipping!!
It feels great in my fingers, I'll be doing some jam a little later on with it and post the results.

Kudos dude! :R

Vinni Smith
March 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Got it Vin! MAN that was dam fast shipping!!
It feels great in my fingers, I'll be doing some jam a little later on with it and post the results.

Kudos dude! :R

You got that bugger already???:eek: MAN that was fast! I think I sent it out on Saturday!

Let us know how the jam goes.......I can't wait to hear how the pick works out for ya.

vinni

Spudman
March 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Why is it that pics travel so fast but my credit card company always seems to get my payments after 10 days? What's up with that?

ZoSo65
March 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Why is it that pics travel so fast but my credit card company always seems to get my payments after 10 days? What's up with that?
LOL

YO! I really like this pick!! Took me a couple minutes to get used to the thickness, but after that bodda-bing!
I instantly noticed the tone difference and you don't get that "slappy" sound from a regular pick. Everything just sounds cleaner too!
It feels a hell of a lot smoother playing with it, alsmost a gliding feeling.
Didn't run into the "rotating" issue, but next week I'll put it through a 3 hour tour at practice, and see what happens,, I'll let ya' know ;)

Vin thanks again, and Congrats on a really good product!

Vinni Smith
March 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
LOL

YO! I really like this pick!! Took me a couple minutes to get used to the thickness, but after that bodda-bing!
I instantly noticed the tone difference and you don't get that "slappy" sound from a regular pick. Everything just sounds cleaner too!
It feels a hell of a lot smoother playing with it, alsmost a gliding feeling.
Didn't run into the "rotating" issue, but next week I'll put it through a 3 hour tour at practice, and see what happens,, I'll let ya' know ;)

Vin thanks again, and Congrats on a really good product!

Your welcome man! Thanks for the great testimony.......

vinni

SuperSwede
April 4th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Vinnie, I got my pick today!

Really thick (which I like) and it makes a sound very similar to the big stubby. Only bad thing so far is that it tends to "rotate" and I end up playing with the wrong side. But I will probably learn to hold it properly. It is a really great product. Thanks Vinnie :)

Robert
April 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I got my V-picks today - I haven't tried them yet, but I'm on my way home to try them out in about 10 minutes! They look cool.

I'll post my feedback from playing with the V-pick later.

Tim
April 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Ok I am a little late on this V-pick thing. I will visit Vinni's website tomorrow. I gotta learn more about this new piece of equipment. Especially if it helps me play better.

duhvoodooman
April 4th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I got my V-picks today - I haven't tried them yet, but I'm on my way home to try them out in about 10 minutes! They look cool.

I'll post my feedback from playing with the V-pick later.
WELL???? ;) :D

Robert
April 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Well, it's a cool material, and it makes you feel like you're in better control when you're playing. The thing I'm not sure about yet is that it gives me a little sharper tone than I'm used to. Maybe I can file down one side of the pick myself to get it a rounder shape and a "rounder" sound.

Edit:
The more I play with it, the more I like it! I really think the guitar is easier to play with this pick. On my '51, it sounded a bit bright, but on the Tele, it's the cat's jammies!

Vinni Smith
April 5th, 2006, 08:54 PM
SuperSuede, Play with all three corners. They are all usable. Actually playing with this pick helped me to get thru a bit of my Obsessive Compulsive tendencies. I always had to play with the oposite end from the logo but in reality there is no reason you have to do this. All the corners are made the same. So fight the urge man! Let the pick do it's work!

Robert, I'm glad you like them! One tip: if you take some very fine sand paper, you can take more of the point off and then use some toothpaste to shine the pick back to it's original glow. I don't put round corners on them because a lot of my artists like the sharper points because the pick is brighter sounding that way. I personally like the rounded corners because I don't like a lot of brightness and I think the pick plays faster with it rounded off. I leave the point on because you can always take the point off but you cannot put it back on. I guess I try to make everyone happy. On your next order, if you tell me you want rounded corners, I am more than happy to make them for you. This goes for anyone else that prefers them like that as well.

Actually in the future I am considering making all the V-Picks with rounded corners unless ordered otherwise.....

Thanks for your posts guys.

vinni

Robert
April 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Vinnie, I sanded two edges down with sandpaper, but kept one of the three edges as it was. It's perfect! Now I just turn it if I want the brighter sound, or just use one of the rounded corners, which I usually do.

Truly a nice pick you have created, Vinnie. Great job!

Vinni Smith
April 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Vinnie, I sanded two edges down with sandpaper, but kept one of the three edges as it was. It's perfect! Now I just turn it if I want the brighter sound, or just use one of the rounded corners, which I usually do.

Truly a nice pick you have created, Vinnie. Great job!

This is a GREAT idea Robert. A great idea, indeed............

vinni

Vinni Smith
April 19th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Good Morning Guys.

I'm glad you like the picks. They really are the ONLY thing I play with any more.

Just to answer a few questions. As far as the pick rotating, you will soon get used to this and it probably won't happen to you nearly as much after you get accustomed to playing with a very thick pick. BTW, on the V-Pick is it ok to play with the other corners because they are all playable and useable.

The issue of getting sharper tones. Just for fun trying playing harder or softer with the pick. That is where the V-Pick really shines. For instance, when you are playing very heavy handed, the gliding action still accomodates quick playing. I like to play REAL hard with them and make the strings slap against the fretboard. I love this sound and I find it very effective in phrasing and expressing myself. Then go back to playing softly, quite emotional indeed.

Hope this helps and thanks to you all.

vinni

SuperSwede
April 23rd, 2006, 07:31 AM
I found that the pick needs to be "worn in" before it feels really great. Now that the sides are less sharp it sounds/feels fantastic... Again, great product Vinnie...

Vinni Smith
April 25th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I found that the pick needs to be "worn in" before it feels really great. Now that the sides are less sharp it sounds/feels fantastic... Again, great product Vinnie...

Thanks! I'm glad you like the picks. And yes, the rounder and more worn they get, the better the V-Pick plays..........

vinni

tremoloman
May 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I used to use Fender picks, then discovered Dunlops which I found lasted longer in surviving the squeals and pickslides I incorperate in my playing. Playing songs from Extreme, Iron Maiden, and Van Halen will wear picks out in 1 song!

How resistant are these to this type of playing? I think I'm going to give them a try!

SuperSwede
May 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
V-picks are great, but I dont think that they are very resistant. I have worn down mine quite a bit. Dunlop 2.0 (the black heavy one) would be my recommendation of a really durable pick.

Vinni Smith
May 5th, 2006, 11:19 PM
V-picks are great, but I dont think that they are very resistant. I have worn down mine quite a bit. Dunlop 2.0 (the black heavy one) would be my recommendation of a really durable pick.

REALLY? I sure don't get this comment often. As a matter of fact, I think you are the first one! What are you doing with those picks? :D

SuperSwede
May 6th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I use it in the mine, thats what picks are for right? ;)
No really, I dig (pun intended) it and it is my no1 choice for jazz but since I play with it every day I have started to see the edges get rounder and rounder (something lovely when you play jazz and blues but not that great when you play the hard rock stuff tremoloman were talking about. That is why I think that the Dunlop heavy 2.0 would be a better screaming solo pick for tremoloman than the V-pick.

Spudman
October 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
You guys that bought the V picks, what do you think of them now?

Robert
October 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
I like 'em!

I think also Vinnie has more options for them now than when I got mine.

They are definitely worth a try, I tell ya.

Spudman
October 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
I like 'em!

I think also Vinnie has more options for them now than when I got mine.

They are definitely worth a try, I tell ya.

But is it your 'go to' pick? Do you use it more than not use it?

Robert
October 22nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
It's not my go-to pick because I am afraid to lose it... I only have 3 of them. I use Dunlop Gator 2mm most, because they are cheap and I have many.

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
You guys that bought the V picks, what do you think of them now?
Yowza Spud, spooky timing.

I have more & more been going to the V-Pick for lead. So much so, that I just placed an order for a few more: Yesterday!

Not so good for rhythm (at least I haven't been able to get them to work well), but if you want to go fast & smooth & have a big fat tone, these are the ones.

Mine all have rounded corners. I use something else if I want a lot of bite.

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2007, 12:06 AM
I use my V-picks from time to time. I am more a big stubby kind of guy ;-)

EscalonJon
November 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Hi, all...

FYI, Vinni has gone production with moulded V-Picks in addition to the custom shop models. They are very similar in performance and the quality is still top-notch.

He tells me that he is setting up some large distributor accounts and will be at the Anaheim NAMM Show in Anaheim in January to meet/greet and promote his products.

I've tried many (most) of his V-Pick models and they all have unique personalities of their own, just like instruments themselves do.

Vinni is a great guy and deserves the support of the guitar community. Give him a call, he loves to talk about his picks, music, and guitars in general.

Spudman
November 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
So Vinni
I want to get some of your picks, but I'm still confused on which to get.
I use conventional shaped Tortex between .88 and 2mm. Which of yours will I be most comfortable with?

just strum
November 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Not a comment about Vinni's picks, but pics in general. I've never seen so much interest in a pick and never realized the importance put in a pick.

My friends say I use too thin of a pick (my favorite is Snarling Dog Brain Picks .060). What makes these V picks so special. Even reading the entire thread I am not getting any "wow" factor from what I read. Can someone be a little more detailed in what are the positive points about this pick?

EscalonJon
November 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Hey, Strum!

In a "nutshell", consensus is that the picks allow you to play faster and to get a bigger tone. This is said to be because of the design and materials. Reading comments in a number of threads on other forums, a lot of people are like "man, this thing is too darn thick for me to play with" and once they give it a chance after just a few minutes, most players feel right at home with it.

You're right...I, too, have never seen such a fuss made over something as simple as a pick before. They are pretty cool, though, and deserve all of the respect they get for what they do.

Vinni Smith
November 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
So Vinni
I want to get some of your picks, but I'm still confused on which to get.
I use conventional shaped Tortex between .88 and 2mm. Which of yours will I be most comfortable with?

I like to start folks off with the Medium V-Pick Rounded 2.55mm. It really is our flagship model. It is what V-Picks are all about. It demonstrates all the claims that V-Picks boast, like bigger tone, faster playing and gripping feel.

I also have just added a new deal package called the Fab Four. It is made up of my best V-Picks. The biggest sellers. They are all molded picks that we painstakingly go over with a razor blade (literally) before they leave this door to make sure you get a premium playing and sounding pick that you won't soon forget.

My personal favorite V-Pick is the Large Rounded. Carlos Santana's favorite is the Freakishly Large Rounded. Paul Reed Smith likes the Large Lites.

Thanks for the question Spudman. If you have any more questions, you can call me at 209 324 1788 anytime.

vinni

Spudman
December 1st, 2007, 06:33 PM
I received this set from Vinnie. http://www.v-picks.com/FabFour.html

I've been using the largest of the bunch for a while and here are some of my observations.

They take a little getting used to. After decades of using regular picks I had to force myself to think about my attack differently. Once I did make a change the v pick is pretty satisfying in what I can get from it.
It's easier to activate the strings into motion. The attack sort of blooms along with the note. It's almost impossible to drop it. I don't have to try as hard to play. It does change your sound and I've only used it with an electric.

There are a couple of limitations for me but I find those limitations slowly easing away the more I use it. At first it was accuracy especially when string skipping. Strumming took a while to adapt to as well.

The thing I probably like best about it is that it gives me another tool. One that I can use for different sounds and to also break out of a slump. By switching back and forth between a regular tortex and the v pick it forces me to think differently about my approach to playing the guitar.

tot_Ou_tard
December 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
I received this set from Vinnie. http://www.v-picks.com/FabFour.html

I've been using the largest of the bunch for a while and here are some of my observations.

They take a little getting used to. After decades of using regular picks I had to force myself to think about my attack differently. Once I did make a change the v pick is pretty satisfying in what I can get from it.
It's easier to activate the strings into motion. The attack sort of blooms along with the note. It's almost impossible to drop it. I don't have to try as hard to play. It does change your sound and I've only used it with an electric.

There are a couple of limitations for me but I find those limitations slowly easing away the more I use it. At first it was accuracy especially when string skipping. Strumming took a while to adapt to as well.

The thing I probably like best about it is that it gives me another tool. One that I can use for different sounds and to also break out of a slump. By switching back and forth between a regular tortex and the v pick it forces me to think differently about my approach to playing the guitar.

I think you nailed my reaction to them Spud (but I have far less experience to have to adjust).

Strum think of different picks as a cheap way to make slight adjustments to feel and tone.

I've got a little dish of picks & I'll change them depending on my mood. More often than not, I'll use a V-Pick. Particularly if I want a smooth fast fat tone.

The only thing is that they are *perfectly clear* so it might take awhile to find one if you drop it. I haven't lost one yet, but I always play in the same spot in my basement.

Robert
December 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I have the same Fab Four set. I don't like the small pointy one, but the two big ones I love. Huge, rounded, thick picks with a really shiny and solid material - I love them!

Spudman
May 26th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Vinni has a new slide out made from the V Pick material and it's getting some good reviews. He'll make them the length you want.
http://www.v-picks.com/Slides.html?1211248858417

He also has a new pick design. It's small and pointy.

tot_Ou_tard
June 20th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Vinni has a new slide out made from the V Pick material and it's getting some good reviews. He'll make them the length you want.
http://www.v-picks.com/Slides.html?1211248858417

He also has a new pick design. It's small and pointy.
Well what do you know, Spud did try to let us know about the V-slide several weeks back.

I was away from the Fret at the time so I didn't see your post Spud.

Spudman
June 20th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Well what do you know, Spud did try to let us know about the V-slide several weeks back.

I was away from the Fret at the time so I didn't see your post Spud.

I'm simply always thinking about you guys and trying to get the information out. Maybe billboards would work? :D

warren0728
June 20th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm simply always thinking about you guys and trying to get the information out. Maybe billboards would work? :D
or starting a new thread in case we aren't reading a thread anymore (can only read so much about a pick!) :poke:

ww

Gil Janus
June 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I just ordered the FabFour set to try them out - these picks have gotten lots of notice on different sites - so I want to try them out.

Gil :cool:

Gil Janus
July 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I got the FabFour pack. I like the Large Rounded and Freakishly Large Rounded best of the 4. I didn't have much time with them so far - but what I've heard - I like them. :AOK:

I'll have to play some more - and possibly order some more :thwap:

Thanks to Vinnie and Mrs. V - very fast service. :master:

Gil :cool:

scgmhawk
July 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I can't believe I'm GAS'ing for a Pick now!

tot_Ou_tard
July 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I can't believe I'm GAS'ing for a Pick now!
GAS never Rusts.

robert_the_rocker
July 18th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Frickin' LOVE those picks!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

robert_the_rocker
July 18th, 2008, 09:46 AM
ok. I once bought a peavy speaker. (I forget the name of it...:thwap: ) I couldn't get it on. No power input. Maybe I got the wrong type of speaker, but, is there no power supply for speakers on the market? Or should I get like, stage monitors? And how the **** do the major bands get the almost wahwah sound with their vocals? I want no criticism. It's my first time. I'm gonna be doing shows in town, and hopefully record.

just strum
August 1st, 2008, 05:42 PM
Okay, received a V Pick in the mail today. The one someone sent me is a medium pointed. Feels nice and is a comfortable pick.

tone difference when compared to a Stubby 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 - not an ounce of difference.

Price:

V Pick = $4.00 ea

Stubby = $2.99 for 6

Now this is just my opinion, but I heard all the raves and after finally getting to try one - the performance certainly doesn't justify a purchase.

I'll keep the pick and use the pick because it's comfortable, but I wouldn't go out and buy any until you can get 6 for $2.99.

I realize everyone was gushing over these, but
Opinion requested - opinion given.

just strum
August 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Well, I used the pick on and off all day yesterday and this morning. It is comfortable as already noted, but I did use it most of the day, so obviously I like it.

I still believe it provides no difference in tone and if lost (easily done since it's clear) I would not buy another one due to the cost.

Robert
August 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Robert the rocker - you should start a new thread with your questions, otherwise you probably won't get a good answer, since this thread is about V-picks.

I like my V-picks. I think they sound a little different than most other picks. They have a little "pingy" tone - very hard to describe with words. The material is similar to glass, I find, and when it hits the string there's a little "Ping!" sound. At least to my ears.

The stubby would be great for me if it was the same thickness all around. Unfortunately, it's quite thin at the area where you strike the string, and that's not to my liking. I like 'em fat all around. :)

Algonquin
December 19th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Saw this review and figured I'd post. Not sure if it's already in another thread, but here goes.

http://www.betterguitar.com/equipment/other_gear/vpicks/vpicks_foundation_series.html

tot_Ou_tard
December 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Saw this review and figured I'd post. Not sure if it's already in another thread, but here goes.

http://www.betterguitar.com/equipment/other_gear/vpicks/vpicks_foundation_series.html

That's a balanced review that pretty much sums things up.

just strum
December 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I am suppose to have some heading my way and I was hoping they would arrive today, so I could try them over the weekend. I then remembered that I don't go back to work until 1/5 - plenty of time.

sunvalleylaw
December 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I am putting mine in my pocket now so I remember to bring them home and try them out over the weekend.

Algonquin
December 19th, 2008, 07:51 PM
That's a balanced review that pretty much sums things up.
I like many of the reviews Mark has posted on his site... he comes across as honest and straight forward.

marnold
January 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Well, here's my $0.02, probably overpriced.

In interest of full disclosure Vinni contacted me and offered to send me some V-Picks so I took him up on it. I requested a Screamer. He sent me that and a pack with two Foundation mediums (one rounded and one pointed) and one medium Ultra-Lite. I was pleasantly surprised to see them arrive within a couple of days.

Like the above reviewer, I've used Fender mediums forever. Recently I considered trying Dunlop Jazz picks, but found the regular size to be too small for me to manipulate with what's left of my fingers.

I decided to try the Screamer first. It is slightly bigger and slightly thicker than a medium pointed. The big difference is that the edge has more of a bevel to it (for the lack of a better term). It took a bit of getting used to, especially since it's so much thicker than the Fender. I didn't notice much tone difference acoustically on my Floyd. However, the difference is very significant with my Showmaster. It almost sounded like I was playing with a quarter instead of a pick.

I've been using the Screamer now for almost two weeks and I really like it. Not so much for any "tone" improvement, but for feel. The shape and the feel of the acrylic make it easier for me to hold on to. The pointed shape also enables me to "choke up" on the pick which allows for better picking accuracy. It also makes pinch harmonics easier to pull off which is A Good Thing in my book. I used it a bit with my bass too and it seemed to work nicely for that too although the benefits to the pointyness are not as great.

If I were just strumming the medium rounded would be a nice choice. It really seems to glide over the strings. Much to my surprise the Ultra-Light didn't do much for me, even though I originally thought I might like that one the best. The medium pointed is pretty close to a Screamer although I think I like the Screamer better. My son has been using the medium rounded and seems to like it.

I'd be interested in getting some Dunlop Jazz XLs and comparing that to my Screamer, but I can't find anyone in the area who carries them. My only concern about the V-Pick is the longevity, something that only time will reveal. The million dollar question (or the $4 anyway) is: are they worth the price? Since picks seem to last forever for me, dropping $4 on one isn't a big issue. I've certainly blown more money than that on gear. I will zealously guard my Screamer so I don't lose it, that's for sure. Since they are clear they do tend to disappear when you drop them. My picks usually don't travel too far so it's not a huge danger.

The long and the short is that the Screamer allows me to get a better grip, a more proper grip, and I probably like playing even more now. Isn't that really what any gear is supposed to do?

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I like the pointed Screamer too. I didn't take a real liking to the rounded one and was comfortable strumming with the pointed one. I am sending two to someone that had heard about them and wanted to give them a try, but now I wish I hadn't agreed to since I already lost two. Vinni sent me some samples and someone had sent me one a few months earlier. The first one I lost after only using it once.

My Stubby's are still my pick of choice, however if I get over the habit of loosing picks I would probably replenish the pointed Screamer and will probably buy a couple of the small pointed Screamers.

I also received a couple of thinner ones (0.85 mm), but found no advantage to those for my purpose.

Spudman
January 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
It's kind of revealing how people balk at spending $4 for a pick that will last a long time when they don't give any regard to $4 coffee at the premier chains.

I think the money spent on V Picks is money well spent. I do wish they were another color than clear. They are absolutely a pain to find sometimes.

Robert
January 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
It's kind of revealing how people balk at spending $4 for a pick that will last a long time when they don't give any regard to $4 coffee at the premier chains.

+1 on that one, bro. $4.00 isn't what I would call a big investment and attaching the term "overpriced" to them is, well, any word belonging to the family "silly" comes to mind. ;)

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM

I think the money spent on V Picks is money well spent. I do wish they were another color than clear. They are absolutely a pain to find sometimes.

I wouldn't balk if it was my primary pick or "must have" pick, but it's not. I would buy one or two if I happened to see them in a store, but I don't even know if they sell them in stores. If I ordered them, I would have to have DVM be my middle man because it's payment through PayPal.

My playing ability isn't at a level that I need to concern myself with picks. For those that are at that level or can hear a clear distinction, I don't see a problem with buying them.

And I certainly agree about adding color (at no extra cost).

Correction: You can use a credit card.

just strum
January 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
+1 on that one, bro. $4.00 isn't what I would call a big investment and attaching the term "overpriced" to them is, well, any word belonging to the family "silly" comes to mind. ;)

I think the word "over-priced" is an opinion that some feel about a number of things. I look at relics or certain amps and think - they are over-priced. However, to someone that has a thing for relics, they would think differently.

marnold
January 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Here I'd totally disagree with you, Robert. When you are talking about a product that is substantially more expensive than most products of the same type, the word "overpriced" is legitimate. It is an issue that needs to be addressed. The argument that someone might waste that amount on coffee is really not applicable to the situation. Because someone else might spend $4 foolishly doesn't give me the right/need/whatever to do likewise.

The question for me is it worth spending $4 on one V-Pick vs. getting a dozen of the Fender mediums I used to use or eight Dunlop Jazz III XLs. Until I can actually try a Jazz III XL that half of the equation will remain unanswered. For the first half I think I had to say yes, it was worth it for me. Others might think differently which is fine by me.

$4 might seem insignificant but my family budget is such that every last dollar has to be justified. If I can't justify it, I don't spend it. My Floyd only cost me $149 originally--a great deal--but no matter how great the deal was it wasn't happening unless I first sold my Charvel Model 7. Buying new pickups for my guitar literally took months of planning so I could be sure to get them without wrecking the family budget for a month. Even then I couldn't get all three at one time.

peachhead
January 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Just to throw my two pesos in the mix:

I received a pack from Vinni (which I appreciate) and have used them a good bit in the last couple of weeks. Without getting into specifics (mainly because I am not familiar enough with them to know what is what) I have enjoyed them quite a bit. Looks like I have a really lite pointed, a medium pointed and a medium rounded. The lite is a great acoustic pick. They sound good, I don't have a problem holding on to them (which is something I always have problems with) and I like the general feel of them. I do agree that they need to have at least some kind of color (so I can find them on the floor).....

I would (and will) recommend them, even though they are a bit pricier. I may splurge on the acoustic pack, or I'm tempted to order a mandolin pick from them just to try it out.

Tone2TheBone
January 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I like mine a lot and will be paying for my next set. Thanks Vinni!

sunvalleylaw
January 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I like the thick rounded one for rhythm (but not for lead or picking), and the thick pointed one for all around. It probably is my favorite so far. The rounded one really makes a difference for me with string noise when strumming chords. The thinner pointed one does not seem that much better than a Dunlop Ultex to me, other than it is really easy to hold. I may change my mind. But very nice! I would recommend a set for sure.

marnold
January 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Well, I picked up a Dunlop Jazz III XL stiffo and compared it to the Screamer. The XL's tone sounded pretty much like my old Fender. The stiffness and pointyness made it easier to pick accurately than the Fender. So if it was just Dunlop v. Fender, the Dunlop would win hands down.

However, I have to say I still like the v-pick better for two reasons:
1) The acrylic. It really allows me to have a better grip. Since I don't have my first three fingertips on my right hand, any extra grip I can get is appreciated.
2) The shape. The v-pick is more triangle shaped which also helps me hold it. It's hard to describe the way I hold a pick now without showing a picture. The wider "top" (opposite where you actually pick the strings) nestles nicely into my index finger to keep it from spinning/shifting while playing.

Granted those two arguments are unique to my particular hands, so you'd really have to try them yourself. So, I guess I like using a $4 pick. The Screamer's shape and texture make it easier for me to play with greater accuracy. It lives up to it's name because I find it very easy to do pinch harmonics with this thing. My only concerns are the durability (especially with pick scrapes, but only time will tell on that) and how easily they "disappear" when dropped on the floor because they are clear. The glow-in-the-dark ones would fix the latter problem, albeit for an extra dollar.

The v-pick medium rounded didn't do much for me, nor did the ultra-lite. The medium pointed are nice. But for me the Screamer is the way to go. Color me surprised.

larryx
April 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I worked in a friends fathers factory when I was in High School. We made drink trays and chessboards out of plexi glass. The owners son was an apprentice Luthier at D'Aquisto Guitars in N.Y.C. (JAZZ ARCHTOPS) He started making nice clear shiney guitar picks out of plexi glass (or acrylics) and giving them to all of his guitar playing friends. His name is David Shneider(DavidShneiderguitars.com)That was 30 years ago. As far as the plexi picks go.They deffinately had an interesting attack to them. And a unique sound when they touched the string. Almost like a ping kind of sound. They seemed to bounce off of the string in a very active kind of way. I had a friend who had a very heavey handed picking style. He loved them thangs! But I don't think Pat Matheny's gonna be using one. It would be interesting to revisit the idea of an acrylic pick again? NAH! Black Dunlop 1mm nylon for life!

Tone2TheBone
April 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Oh crap that reminds me that I need to order a few more....

sumitomo
April 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have a small sheet of lexan I have been makin picks from,and their bulletproof too! Sumi:D

Spudman
October 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Vinnie. Hey man, I ordered 2 picks and you sent 3. What's up with that? If you are trying to win loyal customers...you did it. :AOK Thank you very much and I even got them on my birthday.

Kodiak3D
October 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Well, I got one from dad over the weekend and I'm sold! I love my V-pick.

msteeln
October 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Legendary Alvin Lee doesn't. Check him out at 7:30 into Help Me - www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjiqdMY-Qc
I liked his resourcefullness with a harmonica at 6:05 as well. Quite the guy!

BEWARE - keep the vol. down at the start for a coupla secs., then crank it!

Spudman
October 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I have really fallen in love with the Screamer. It's easy to hold and flies over the strings and had a superb attack. I've been playing it the past 3 days and really putting it to the test. It is undoubtedly my favorite.
http://www.v-picks.com/images/acousticpilesmallerres.jpg

pes_laul
October 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I have really fallen in love with the Screamer. It's easy to hold and flies over the strings and had a superb attack. I've been playing it the past 3 days and really putting it to the test. It is undoubtedly my favorite.
http://www.v-picks.com/images/acousticpilesmallerres.jpg
Aghhh!! I want one now!

Hmm I guess its time to BE NICE TO DAD so maybe he'll order me one.:AOK

POST EDITED TO KEEP CREEPY PICTURES OUT OF TOTS MIND

Spudman
October 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Do you feature different picks monthly then for sales?

Yes, we put a different pick on sale at the first part of every month.....

It is easily found on the website, just click the rotating pick logo.

Vinni

marnold
October 9th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Agreed. As I mentioned before, Screamers are teh bomb.

tot_Ou_tard
October 10th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Time to suck up to dad....:bootyshake
The juxtaposition of the phrase and the "smiley" is frightening.

Excuse me while I get drunk to blot the image from my mind.

street music
October 10th, 2009, 06:11 AM
The screamer and the acoustic are the same if I remember correctly.

pes_laul
October 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
The juxtaposition of the phrase and the "smiley" is frightening.

Excuse me while I get drunk to blot the image from my mind.
Oh jeezus I didnt even think about:crazyguy :crazyguy :thwap :thwap

Neal
March 22nd, 2010, 06:40 AM
I finally broke down and gave them a try. These are the best picks that I ever had in my hands, and I have ben playing a long time.

I promise that I won't be giving any of these away. If someone shows up at a gig without a pick, they're SOL:happy

riverrick
June 14th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I ordered some of these from a recommendtation from Robert. I can honestly say they are the best picks I have ever used. I got a combo pack with a bunch of different sizes and gauges. I will never go back to my old Fender mediums again. These won't slip out of your hand. And they just feel great in your hand. You must give them a try.

Robert
June 14th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Yeah, they are awesome. I just got some new ones, and all of them they are really good. I have both pointy and round ones, and I can't decide which I like best. :)

Spudman
June 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM
The Screamer is my favorite. These almost make it futile to go back to using conventional picks. Good stuff.

sumitomo
June 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Alright I'm ready pulled the trigger.Sumi:D

Tig
June 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
The Screamer is my favorite. These almost make it futile to go back to using conventional picks. Good stuff.

+ eleventy

The pointy Screamers are my favorites. They just work. I was a bit skeptical until I tried 'em. Now, I can't use anything else other than my fingers.

marnold
June 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM
+ eleventy

The pointy Screamers are my favorites. They just work. I was a bit skeptical until I tried 'em. Now, I can't use anything else other than my fingers.
I'd post that I agree, but I already did that on the previous page.

Plus, they're pointy!

otaypanky
June 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
But is it your 'go to' pick? Do you use it more than not use it?

Uh, --- on my way to the weekly jam, five miles from home, I realize I left my V-Picks at home. Yup, I go back

'Been using them for a couple of years. The only thing cooler than a V-Pick is Vinni

Tig
June 15th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Uh, --- on my way to the weekly jam, five miles from home, I realize I left my V-Picks at home. Yup, I go back

'Been using them for a couple of years. The only thing cooler than a V-Pick is Vinni

I keep one in my wallet, just in case. My, how times change...
I remember 25-30 years ago, keeping something else in my wallet, just in case! ;)

otaypanky
June 16th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I remember 25-30 years ago, keeping something else in my wallet, just in case! ;)

Bruce wrote a song about that didn't he Doug? Glory Days? ;)

When I told Vinni I liked using some of the really fat picks he made me up a really hefty one just to bust my nuts. After I get someone to help me lift it up it actually plays pretty well.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0706.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0707.jpg

Tig
June 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Bruce wrote a song about that didn't he Doug? Glory Days? ;)

When I told Vinni I liked using some of the really fat picks he made me up a really hefty one just to bust my nuts. After I get someone to help me lift it up it actually plays pretty well.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0706.jpg

Geez, that thing looks like it's retaining water!!! :what

It must roll across the strings like a Panzer through France.

street music
June 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I've grown to love the Screamer for my acoustic too, the people who I have introduced to the v-picks bring it up very often, that they never use anything else now.

player
June 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah, they are awesome. I just got some new ones, and all of them they are really good. I have both pointy and round ones, and I can't decide which I like best. :) Ditto same here with some Ruby reds adding to the fab four are reds Screamer and medium pointed.next I gotta try a Dimension buffed but as a whole I like em.thanks boss for turning me on to them via your video.

syo
June 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Lemme guess. 50 cents for a gallon of gas?

Did I get it right? :D

Tig
June 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Lemme guess. 50 cents for a gallon of gas?

Did I get it right? :D

:ninja :ninja
Close! I remember it being in the low to mid .60 cents in '77-'78, back when I was new at, um, driving.

player
June 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM
:ninja :ninja
Close! I remember it being in the low to mid .60 cents in '77-'78, back when I was new at, um, driving. Man Now I really feel ancient.I remember pumping Ethyl for 35 cents in the late 60's :thwap

mainestratman
June 20th, 2010, 05:15 AM
@Tig: "It must roll across the strings like a Panzer through France."

*coffee spit-take on my laptop*

Thanks. lol

Tig
June 20th, 2010, 06:46 AM
@Tig: "It must roll across the strings like a Panzer through France."

*coffee spit-take on my laptop*

Thanks. lol

You're welcome, and send the laptop repair bill to Vinni at V-Picks!
Heck, the picture of that pick had to inspire a fun bit of wit. :laughingatyou

mainestratman
June 20th, 2010, 07:41 AM
:beer:

sumitomo
June 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Well mine came and I have been using them,I have been using the round end of a pick for a while now,and have even made my own picks from lexan,but these are very nice,I actually like the pointy end of the screamer,I am a lefty play righty so strumming has always felt odd,but I noticed a big difference,cause I play or strum lighter,I might try that 11 mm fat boy to train for a lighter touch,I can see where this will help my playing alot.So yes I'm a convert.:thumbsup Sumi:D

otaypanky
June 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Man Now I really feel ancient.I remember pumping Ethyl for 35 cents in the late 60's :thwap

That makes me an endangered species remembering gas at $0.17 a gallon :thwap

player
June 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM
That makes me an endangered species remembering gas at $0.17 a gallon :thwapChances are regular was that then but Ethyl or what they now call premium has always cost more

player
June 22nd, 2010, 08:28 AM
I can't wait to try mine!
I'll lets yous know how it goes! :Rhave them,use them.love them -Yes

sumitomo
June 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Chances are regular was that then but Ethyl or what they now call premium has always cost more

Remember the ads,We get the lead out,They had to put lead in the gas! Sumi:D

deeaa
June 29th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Seems interesting...although I find the notion that the pick used, as long as it's in the same ballpark for stiffness/material, would affect the guitar sound noticeably. I think it goes in the same bin as any belief based on nothing tangible until I hear/see an actual test where a robot uses different picks to play and in an A/B test they can be told apart. I don't notice any difference if I use a piece of cardboard or a plexiglass, or play with a piece of wood...but certainly the pick affects the playing feel a lot, and these seem an interesting concept.

Although I was a Dunlop Jazz III guy for a decade now I have been using Wedges for a loong time, .60 soft gray ones...nicely flexible. Have to check these out when I see 'em somewhere.

sumitomo
July 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I've been using these for awhile now,and I really like em,I actually play more with my fingers(I like the way these tuck into the middle finger)I also have a couple more people who use these picks now after I said here try this and gotta a where did you get these there awesome and I do notice a more relaxed grip which loosens up the tense wrist.Sumi:D

Neal
July 25th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I love V picks, and I don't play with anything else. Why would you want to have the axe of your dreams, and play it with a 25cent pick?
It is important to note, that it will probably the best pick that you have had your fingers on:dance

deeaa
July 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Got a q for V-pick users...interested in trying them, but how's their longeivity? Are they much longer lasting than regular nylon/delrin/etc. picks? Because I get maybe 2 practice sessions out of regular picks, and wouldn't mind changing after every session, plus I keep losing a lot of picks as well. Thus spending five bucks per pick seems like, hm, they really should be very good and long-lasting then.

Thanks in advance for any estimate on how well they withstand the everyday plank spanking :-) (a Billy Gibbonism)

syo
July 26th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I recently ordered a variey pack of V-Picks for my guitar teacher*. I gave him a medium round a month ago and he loved it. I ordered a "snake" pick for myself and just got it today. It plays incredibly fast and fits my hand perfectly. I routinely bounce back and forth between different picks/brands but this one is unreal. At $10 it's not cheap for a normal pick but this is no normal pick. 4.10mm thick. Amazing...
Anyone out there ever tried The Snake?

*Note:
In Japan it is customary to give a gift in mid-summer (as well as year end), to someone you are indebted to or owe a certain kindness (teachers, doctors, relatives, "superiors" etc.). Usually, this gift will be some kind of food item like fruit, sweets, alcohol etc. However, this year I am giving guitar picks. V-Picks to be specific!

deeaa
July 26th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I've heard about that Japanese custom, seems some foreign workers have run into some problems not understanding that.

I can understand that misunderstanding; here at least it's customary for the bosses to give their workers some gifts, arrange parties and dinners etc. as a thank you for work well done. Unless it happens, bosses won't be liked so much and may run into trouble with their work force.

But I also understand in Japan workers have a great will to succeed and work hard and please their superiors, here it's more like 'I won't move a muscle more than I'm paid unless I get a hefty special bonus' etc, LOL, and bosses often try to 'butter up' their workers to get better treatment and compliance. Finns don't respond well to hierarchy and no matter how big a boss, workers tend to see them as their equals, just as anybody else - or actually in many cases bosses are seen as incompetent idiots and quite openly sneered at or loudmouthed to, especially in parties when people get drunk - of course by workers they can't fire i.e. have a steady position.

Thus a boss that is a 'buddy' with workers, drinks and parties with them and treats everybody as equal or high respect, plus, since she (or sometimes he, in my company bosses are mostly women) makes more money, arranges nice parties with free drinks etc, often succeeds well.

Tig
July 26th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I'm not one to wear out picks as quickly as you, but I'm sure it will take you a long time with one of these unless you get the ultra lights. V-Picks are of a really hard acrylic type of material. The pointy shaped kind will round off with use over time, but the thickness should remain.

I've only used the medium pointed so far, but will try the Screamer.

I'd suggest the ruby red version if you lose picks easily, because the stealthy clear ones can disappear and are a be-otch to find!

http://www.v-picks.com/images/RR%201%20Screamer.jpg

street music
July 26th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I've used one pick for over a year and haven't had any problems with it. I approve highly of the screamer it is both an acoustic and electric pick. DE I think you would like the SCREAMER very much , it is a medium size pick but can really take the hard playing.

marnold
July 26th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I don't remember when I got my Screamer, but it is just now showing a bit of wear on the point that I always used. I've switched to another point, even though I really didn't notice a ton of change with the wear. I don't tend to annihilate regular picks, however. The big thing for me is the grip I can get on them followed by the accuracy I can get with the point. Lower wear is a nice bonus, but not as important to me. I suppose that it is good to know that a $4 pick will last me a very long time indeed.

syo
July 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Got a q for V-pick users...interested in trying them, but how's their longeivity?

Well I've been using them for a couple years and frankly I usually lose them before they get worn out. That said, I do remember one pick getting a little rough around the edges after a couple of months (before I lost it). However they can be smoothed back up with some toothpaste or mild abrasive.

I've heard about that Japanese custom, seems some foreign workers have run into some problems not understanding that.

Yeah, gift giving is almost a daily part of life here. We've actually had situations where a few people got upset that we gave them midsummer gifts. I guess they felt we didn't owe them anything and now they were obliged to send us gift (thus adding to their already long list of gifts to give) thereafter.
My wife is Japanese but spent most of her adult life in the US, so much of the gift giving culture we have had to learn as we go.

But I also understand in Japan workers have a great will to succeed and work hard and please their superiors, here it's more like 'I won't move a muscle more than I'm paid unless I get a hefty special bonus' etc, LOL, and bosses often try to 'butter up' their workers to get better treatment and compliance. Finns don't respond well to hierarchy and no matter how big a boss, workers tend to see them as their equals, just as anybody else - or actually in many cases bosses are seen as incompetent idiots and quite openly sneered at or loudmouthed to, especially in parties when people get drunk - of course by workers they can't fire i.e. have a steady position.

Ah yes, that hierarchy thing. Here, from early childhood until death, you are beholden to those above and hold sway over those below. While it is true that employee loyalty is much higher than in the west, bullying in various forms is common with very few protections. I think most Europeans/N.Americans would not thrive in this system. Fortunately the Japanese company I work for is my own. Your description of Finns in the workplace reminds me of France (where I used to live). I think I would much rather work in that kind of system regardless of the excesses.

bcdon
July 27th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Where do you Canucks order these from? Are they available from within Canada?

Robert
July 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Just contact Vinnie at www.v-picks.com and he'll take care of your order. Tell him I and the Fret sent ya!

syo
July 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Where do you Canucks order these from? Are they available from within Canada?
Vinni (and Mrs. V) are usually very fast with the orders. My order from last week shipped within hours and arrived in Japan in 5 days. Really excellent customer service and reasonable shipping cost.

bcdon
July 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks, guys.

Andy
October 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
giving v-picks annother chance , I lost mine before I had a chance to play out with it . I ordered a sampler pack

Andy
October 3rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
as far as price, I will go thru several sets of $5 strings long before I need annother v-pick

street music
October 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM
In my last order of v-picks , Vinnie sent me a new pick to try out MEDIUM -ULTRA LIGHT acoustic, let me just say that this is so smooth and you almost forget that you are holding it.

gatorbrit
November 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Just ordered my beginners pack of V picks. Looking forward to taking them for a test drive.

player
November 6th, 2010, 11:34 PM
you are gonna dig them.I have two pkgs of the Fab four,one clear and one ruby red.all good. :happy

Spudman
January 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Got a new V Pick to try called the Switchblade.
http://v-picks.com/productdetails.php?q=143&page=pick

So far it's really good. It crosses the line between conventional picks and V Picks. It has a straight cut and is 1.5 mm thick. It's easier to hold onto than any other 1.5 pick I have and is super light yet super stiff. The pointed end is pretty long if you need accuracy and speed, BUT I discovered that turning it sideways opens up other options by picking with the rounded end.

It's getting pretty good marks from me because: it's light, easy to hang on to and is more like a conventional pick in size and shape.

While I really love the Screamer, I'm excited by this slight change.

Guys that have been hesitant about most of the V Pick line might want to give this a go to ease yourself into what V Picks have to offer.

http://v-picks.com/images/SwitchBlade%201.jpg

deeaa
January 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I really want to try one, but at nine bucks a pop with shipping I hesitate. That's a LOT for one pick...for me picks usually last for just hours, maybe a couple of training sessions. I really doubt a V-pick would last so much longer as to cover the costs...I can buy quite a bunch of picks for $9.

Spudman
January 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Email Vinni at V Picks and see if there is a distributor in your area. They certainly are worth trying and will last a long time.

Perfect Stranger
January 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Just ordered some Ruby Reds...

Spudman
February 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I've been using a Medium Pointed Pearly Gates V Pick for a month now. This plastic seems to have a bit of a softer attack and a little more slip over the strings than the standard acrylic. I like it just because it's a bit different I guess. I use it a lot and like it.

Brian Johnston
June 24th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Guitarists are serious about their tones. They will spend large sums of money on rack-mount gear, effect pedals, custom guitars and boutique amps – searching out a tone that may elude them, and when found may soon become uninspiring to the ears. The next step typically is to buy more pedals, or try a different guitar and amplifier – all viable courses of action. It is because of the diverse and complex nature of the guitar’s sound, more so than with drums, bass or other instruments, guitarists rarely are completely satisfied.

Although we can be particular or ‘picky’ when it comes to picks, far less is discussed about this medium than with other guitar gear. And this is ironic since picks are very inexpensive... even the custom-designed versions, relative to what is spent on anything else associated with guitar playing – including guitar magazines! But the important point is this: with the same guitar, same amp, and same pedals, the sound that emanates from within can vary considerably by two things... 1) the player; and 2) the pick.

Give the same gear to Eric Clapton, and he will sound very different from Steve Vai, even if they play the same thing. It’s not only what is being played, but how. Although you cannot step into the body of another player, and may not be able to afford the gear that player uses, picks do offer a tangible solution to altering tone and dynamics. If this were not the case, there would not be so many companies making so many styles, thicknesses and sizes, and from so many materials (including rock, bone, plastic, nylon, metal, et cetera). And many professional guitarists get their picks custom made! Yes, there is an obvious difference in what pick is being used, as well as the comfort factor of the player in having his or her pick ‘just so.’

I have used dozens of different picks over the years, from thin to thick; from serrated to rounded; from plastic and vinyl to nickel-silver tipped. Only recently I was somewhat happy with my choice of pick, a grooved thumb and finger rest to prevent slippage, together with a nickel-silver tip for better control and speed, and improved technique to some degree. It was then that I spotted an advertisement for the award winning V-Picks, claiming to never drop your pick again and to improve technique. It’s not so much that I was in the market for a new pick, but when you have all the gear you need, and then some, you’re always looking for guitar ‘candy’ and the V-Pick seemed an appropriate and inexpensive investment. When visiting the website, I was confused at the sheer number of different styles and gauges; I did not know what to purchase, with picks ranging from .75 mm to a whopping 11.5 mm! I started off with three styles, ranging from somewhat thin (Switchblade) to somewhat thick (Snake); not long after that I acquired even more V-Picks to round out my collection and tone possibilities (all in a designer velvet-lined box, which looks rather spiffy in my recording studio – also check out his other accessories, like wrist-band pick holder and guitar strap pick holder).

Before discussing the tonal quality of the individual V-Picks, here is a little more background on these boutique products that will change your mind about plectrum possibilities. The designer, Vinni Smith, is a skilled musician who spent years looking for suitable picks; he was and is in the trenches when it comes to design and R&D of his acrylic V-Picks. In fact, when I spoke with him on the phone he had to turn down his grinder. That’s right – these are handmade one at a time!

The general design is unique, in that each pick has a diamond-shaped bevel all around the edge; and so, no matter where you grip it, and if it moves between your thumb and finger(s), there is an appropriate edge that will make contact with the strings. With this edge, sweeping is far more effortless and clean sounding, and speed picking nary a concern as it glides over the strings. Guaranteed, you will feel a difference in picking technique and quality as the edge refuses to ‘catch,’ ‘drag’ or produce excess friction. You also get more volume from your instrument without trying. Although a light touch gives a softer sound, when it comes to rock and metal, trying to get as much edge and volume from your bass or guitar, I have yet to find a better pick (without generating excess transient noises). Acoustic guitarists also take note!

As well, having a V-Pick move or rotate does not seem to be an issue; they simply stay in place, although not sticky. This means you do not have to grip has hard as the acrylic material reacts very nicely with the heat of the hand. As a studio musician, I don’t tend to get sweaty and drop picks often, but it does happen – that is until V-Picks. I have yet to drop one.

Regardless of the pick you choose, although I recommend an assortment for different applications, the acrylic material of these picks really bring out the mid-tones. This is vital for the guitarist to understand, since the frequency range of the electric guitar (barring muddiness and hiss) is from around 100Hz to about 8kHz and with the mid-range of 1-6kHz that ‘cuts through the mix.’ And the V-Pick helps you to do just that just as effectively as tweaking your EQ.

In general, regardless of the manufacturer, the thinner the pick the more bite or edge you get from it. The thicker the pick the more warmness and smoothness you will hear. Likewise, the more pointed the tip the more bite and edge, and the rounder the tip, the more warmness and smoothness. This holds true for the various V-Picks available, although the dynamics and tones are far superior and obvious when compared to traditional picks. Having read a few reviews on V-Picks, the biggest (and about only) complaint is the clicking or ‘chirping’ sound heard when playing, since the dynamics are so apparent. I question the reviewer’s experience on a few bases. First, turning up the drive on an amp too much will make any pick ‘chirpy,’ which calls into place effective noise gating. Too much treble in the mix also produces this outcome. Second, moving to a thicker V-Pick gauge reduces any audible ambient sounds if still an issue. Third, I don’t hear any such effect from my playing or in my recordings. From my perspective and my ears, the thinner picks merely give more bite and edge, which characteristic is not for every player, and that may have been the issue.

Speaking of thicker picks, if the reader is not accustomed or familiar with V-Picks s/he may be apprehensive about some of Vinni’s products. When I first took the Snake (4.10mm thick) out of its package (no jokes necessary), my first thought was “why the heck did I buy this?” After a few minutes of play, it was amazing – a warm, yet powerful, and rich tone that allowed me to play as fast as I could or desired to, and to even achieve pinch harmonics. Further note that the thicker V-Picks should not be compared to other heavy gauge picks from various guitar manufacturers. I’m uncertain what it is about the acrylic material, although I believe it has more to do with the overall design and diamond edge, but thick V-Picks feel as graceful and easy to use as any regular pick – not clumsy in the least and not the same as using a heavy gauge plastic pick.

The only other negative comment I have read concerning V-Picks is the cost. I find this perplexing, considering the large sums of money spent on gear, and with V-Picks starting at only $2.99; however, when accustomed to paying $1 or less for a pick, then buying one for the price of a beer seems horrific to some guitarists. But with all things in life, it depends on one’s priorities and values.

But are there any negative points to these picks? If you were to use only one, such as the Shredder, then a person likely would complain that the tone is not right, or that it does not work well when playing the blues or when using an acoustic guitar. But with so many V-Pick styles to choose from, it is difficult to fault any one pick relative to what is designed to do.

Brian Johnston
June 24th, 2011, 04:48 AM
PART II OF REVIEW...

Now, onto some of the picks in my collection: I do have several models, and for a reason no different than having an assortment of effects pedals, guitars and amps in one’s collection. Each pick has its own characteristics and should be given the same respect and consideration.

The 1.5 mm Switchblade was co-designed for Mike Scaccia, shredder for Ministry and Rigor Mortis. If you want a bite to your tone while moving fast, then this is it. When performing pinch harmonics, the squeals are intense to say the least.

The Pearly Gates is 2.75 mm thick and one of my favourites. This one is played and endorsed by rock/acid jazz/fusion guitarist Ed DeGenaro, and is a great all-around guitar pick. Although thick, it is very articulate with extremely fast action. The edge is just thick enough to make tapping effective and effortless. Within the series, with similar thickness and tonal characteristics, are Vinni’s glow in the dark picks and a smaller ‘jazz’ version of the Pearly Gates.

The Snake is 4.10 mm thick, and delivers a warm, thick yet clean tone. And as thick as the pick may be, it just rolls off the strings, allowing for very fast fret work and sweeping.
The Shredder series is for the metal enthusiasts, designed for accurate clarity and precision. You will find sweeping, arpeggios and scale runs much improved with very bright staccato sounds. I have the Shredder and Shredder Lite.

At .75mm, the Ultra Lite and Lite Traditional picks are very good overall type picks, appropriate for electric or acoustic, and solid sounding for both picking and strumming. These picks really grip to the fingers as hand heat reacts with the special blend of acrylic. If in doubt which pick to try, this may be your best bet as a first purchase.

The Freakishly Large Rounded, at 3.0mm, is the same pick used by Carlos Santana. It provides a big tone and great resonance with a firm bottom end. This also is a good pick for bass players. Be forewarned, however, that if you’re used to a pointed end, it takes a bit of getting used (the attack is not as sharp or accurate at first); but once you do, your guitar sounds big!

And then you have the Euro pic (with holes drilled through for extra gripping), the Stiletto (a smaller version of the Switchblade), and a host of other pics in the Vinni collection you just have to check out and try for yourself. In fact, you can buy the entire collection for the price of one pedal, and your guitar playing deserves at least that.

bcdon
June 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Great review, Brian! Thanks a lot.. I think I'm going to give the V-picks a shot. :dude

syo
December 15th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I second Spud's Pearly Gates recommendation. Just got one a few weeks ago in medium pointy (large wasn't available) and I absolutely love this one. I really like most of Vinnie's picks but I always was a little bothered by the tick, tick, ticking sound that they produce. This one doesn't "tick" at all but has that great V-Pick feel. I'm going to buy a bunch of these to put in my stocking to surprise myself this Christmas!

Tig
December 15th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Wow, I haven't seen the Pearly Gates picks until now. I too get distracted by the tick sounds or the clear V-picks.
I might get a few Pearly Gate Screamers (http://v-picks.com/productdetails.php?q=150&page=picks).

http://v-picks.com/images/screamerpearlygatesduo.jpg

Tig
December 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Well, after playing with them a few days I've come to the conclusion that they are only slightly better than the various shaped clear or red V-picks. They are easier to grip, and the clicking is slightly less, but not a major difference. At least they won't get lost like the clear ones.

I've been really liking the Dunlop Ultex sharp 1.14 picks the last few months.
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/A04A_1_20110207_680c17b7-63b7-4aa1-931b-af830808c88f260463.jpg

bcdon
December 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Tig, you are the man! These Dunlop picks are my favourite! I have one V-pick Snake that I picked up at a local guitar show. It is pretty nice but too noisy. So I am back to the Dunlops which I just love. :dude

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/A04A_1_20110207_680c17b7-63b7-4aa1-931b-af830808c88f260463.jpg

Spudman
December 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I like the sound of the Ultex but the size is difficult for me to hang on to. Do you have that problem?

bcdon
December 25th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I find the 1.14 is the perfect size. It's not too thick nor too thin. Also, the Ultex material seems to keep put. I really like this pick. They also last a really long time before they wear out.

I like the sound of the Ultex but the size is difficult for me to hang on to. Do you have that problem?

Eric
December 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I like those. I got some when I whined to the GC guy that the tortex and celluloid ones wear out kind of quickly, and he pointed me to the Ultex. They last forever and are pretty nice picks. Mostly these days I just rock the blue tortex though -- they do the trick and there are plenty to go around when I can't find the Ultex.

deeaa
December 27th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I have never noticed any sound difference between picks, unless I've used a coin or something entirely different. Then there is a tiny difference. I just listened to various youtube tests with dozens of pickups made of metal to plastic to whatever, and yeah, while there's slight differences, I would not even notice if every pick was used for one riff of one song and mixed together...that's such a tiny difference it doesn't seem like a factor I'd care about in choosing picks. Way more difference comes from even very small variation of how you hold it, how much pick is exposed between your fingers, the angle of attack, etc. At least I notice that if I use a much heavier pick than usually I automatically change also the picking angle to match so they sound just the same. What I'd like is longevity combined with suitable flex and snappiness as well as hopefully some contouring for thumb and coarse grip area, and not too big or small.

So anyway, always looking for the perfect pick. I used those Jazz III's for a decade but of late much thinner ones, orange Dunlops most recently. I found this great pick brand called 'Wedge' but they aren't available any more and I can't find 'em online either. Maybe there was a name dispute with Dunlop or something. Those were great, shaped with a depression for the thumb and had a coarse grip, although maybe a millimetre or two too far from the picking edge. But that's corrected in an hour which is what it takes for me to wear a pick quite well.

That's the thing I always complain about the local music stores...the only thing they could compete with is having loads of gadgets and cool stuff, accessories and strings and picks that nobody cares to order online, you know, small stuff, but do they? No, they just have amps and guitars and the mandatory pick case they maybe replenish once in two years, so when I find a nice pic there's always like five left, and I buy them all, and after a month when I come back I have to change the brand because no way they have ordered more of those. Satan that pisses me off! :-) Same with single strings - they NEVER have just the gauges I want, always are out of .40's or whatever...it's like they're doing their best to send me shopping online.

Right now I must have a hundred picks lying around, all in various stages of being totally worn out, and I'm using scissors or knives to re-shape them into playable form all the time...I need to go find suitable picks again. Sigh.

syo
December 28th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I found this great pick brand called 'Wedge' but they aren't available any more and I can't find 'em online either. Maybe there was a name dispute with Dunlop or something. Those were great, shaped with a depression for the thumb and had a coarse grip, although maybe a millimetre or two too far from the picking edge. But that's corrected in an hour which is what it takes for me to wear a pick quite well.

Hey Dee, I believe those would be "Wedgies" and they're still around.
http://www.wedgie.com/

Personally I think that there can be a considerable difference in tone depending on material, thickness and flexibility.

bcdon
December 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Personally I think that there can be a considerable difference in tone depending on material, thickness and flexibility.

I agree. The Snake V-Pick is very sharp sounding (kind of ice-picky) whereas the Dunlop is smooth sounding. I definitely hear
the difference from the guitar but perhaps it wouldn't be noticeable from the amp output (sort of like when you have less tension
on the lower E-string in drop-d and you can hear the string bounce about on the guitar but not from the amp).

Eric
December 28th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Dee, the big selling point on those Ultex picks is that they last much longer than most other picks, and anecdotally I can attest to that being true, so you might want to pick up a pack and check them out. You might get them to last a bit longer than your other picks.

Just in case you're up for trying something new.

deeaa
December 29th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I'll definitely check them out, yeah, if I can find them somewhere! There's a new music store opening up here in place where another quit earlier, and maybe they'll start stocking up picks properly!

deeaa
December 29th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Hey Dee, I believe those would be "Wedgies" and they're still around.
http://www.wedgie.com/

Thanks! That was the pick, wedgie...I still have a bunch of the nylon .60's, those are pretty good!

Zip
January 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I just received a pack of Wedgie 'Rubbers' in my mail. They're 5.0mm (mediums), tried them on acoustic and they're pretty nice. Takes a minute to get used to holding them differently, but pretty much no pick noise at all.

Sent from my rotary-dial wall phone

bcdon
January 20th, 2012, 11:31 PM

LOL. That's how you connect to the internets too? I thought I was the only one! :dude

Zip
January 21st, 2012, 07:21 AM
;)

Algonquin
January 21st, 2012, 07:24 AM
:AOK Thanks for that Zip... 100% awesome!

Neal
July 20th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I started with these picks, a few years ago, and have been using them every since.