PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Blazer

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, saw some of these Peavey Blazer 158s with a little 8inch Blue Marvel speaker and something called transtube technology being blown out at ToysRUs for like $70. Are they worth that? Or should I save a little more and get something like an AD30. I am thinking about a little amp for my son to use, to use at home with head phones, and for knocking around in the car on trips.

oldguy
August 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
IMO, save for the Vox. Lots more flexible and much better sound.
Peavey makes some excellent amps, to be sure. This just isn't one of them.
If you're never going to crank it, and like the one sound it makes, $70 ain't a lot, but it's not the Vox rocks sound in a box.:)

Spudman
August 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Ya, what he said. Skip the Blazer.

Although I thought that you had discovered a piece of Peavey clothing for us respectable short haired guitar geeks complete with pocket protector.:o

sunvalleylaw
August 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys. As I drove home, I was thinking the same thing. Derek (and I) will get a lot more use out of one of the sweet 30 watt Vox swiss army knifes, given the $50 or so difference in cost. In the meantime, he will already have a cheapo SS amp that sounds ok clean if it is not too loud when he gets his Fullerton Strat pack I have saved away. DVM reviewed that little amp (or maybe it was basically the same thing in the Aria strat pack. I think it is the same thing.) In any case, his review was right on. But since he will have on of those, we'll skip the sale SS peavey and wait for the Vox or similar.

marnold
August 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I've got both an AD30VT and a Blazer 158. I've never really been happy with the 158, although a tech at a local guitar shoppe claimed that he managed to cram a 10" speaker into it and turned it into a pretty nice little amp. I don't think it's worth the investment. My main problem with mine is that now I can't get a true clean tone out of it. It always distorts at least a little bit. Annoying.

Of course, mine looks different from the ones they've been selling more recently. Maybe they changed them. I kind of doubt it.