PDA

View Full Version : Trucks and Haynes

helliott
August 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Someone else posted a good overall ABB review here recently, but I just gotta chime in. We caught ABB with RatDog at Darien Lake last night.
How good was it? Well, a two-hour drive turned into four thanks to the border backlog at Lewiston. It was cool, damp day. Darien Lake isn't a great venue, the food was awful and the beer too expensive.
But it was incredible, nonetheless. RatDog was very good, but ABB was stellar. Greg's voice was a little weak, but the rhythm section was as muscular as ever. I do believe ABB may have the best guitar combo in the world today. I'm a massive Warren fan, and think his taste and tone are just about the best there is. His playing during an SRV song had people slack jawed.
But even so, I have to say Derek Trucks was as good as any player I've ever seen live. His rhythm was flawless, his slide just incendiary. And his leads without a slide were just amazing, too. Not sure if it's his family life, his maturity, maybe touring with EC, but Trucks is absolutely at the top of his game. And he was so obviously happy upbeat, as was Warren.
If this band comes within a reasonable drive, do yourself a favour and get there.

duhvoodooman
August 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
That "someone else" would have been me. Couldn't agree more--the ABB has two of the premier guitarists playing in rock today, without a doubt. If they come anywhere near you, SEE 'EM!!!

BTW, Warren's other band, Gov't Mule, is playing here in Schenectady at Proctor's Theatre on Oct. 7. Smallish venue--seats about 2,700. I've got two tickets in the center section, 6th row!! :DR :R :DR

P.S. Recent ABB show setlists available HERE (http://dtbsetlists.com/abb/). The one I was at was Saratoga Performing Arts Center on 8/5/07.

Tone2TheBone
August 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
You get all the good concerts Voo! Tsk! :) That will be a killer show.

helliott
August 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
The next leg of the Mule High and Mighty tour also brings the boys to Toronto, where we've got tickets to see them at Cool Haus. Can't wait for that night!

R_of_G
August 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
haven't seen either of them in a few years, but i have heard much of their more recent live playing. warren and derek both are worthy of all the praise they get and so much more. i have a guitar mag interview with derek that i read a lot for inspiration. his playing has showed me how much there is to "slide" tunings without necessary playing slide. his approach opened up a whole new world for me with his tuning. it was a huge step in finding my own voice with the instrument. marc ribot had taught me so much about tone, but i found my phrasing just as much through a lot of derek and bill frisell, and django who is ever present in my approach to meloy. point is, derek rules, and he and warren continue to make ABB shows the guitar onslaughts they are supposed to be. I've seen more ABB shows than any other band [more than many others combined in fact]. Warren Haynes has LONG been one of my guitar heroes. was a huge fan of the original 3 pc gov't mule [allen woody was AMAZING] as well. anybody ever check out Blue Floyd {Woody's side project}? awesome!!!