PDA

View Full Version : Spinal Tap

tjcurtin1
August 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Robert! Spinal Tap - yeah! (Robert's posting from the 'guess the lyrics' thread) If there is anyone here who has not seen this movie it is a MUST!!! Classic hilarity about metal bands and rock & roll, there are so many classic lines in this movie - I did a double take in a music store last year when I saw a big Marshall amp poster with C. Guest in the character of Nigel Tufnel - and guess what all the amp nobs had on them....?

Robert
August 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Since everybody else's amps go to 10, ours go to ...?! Well, what's one higher...

Classic movie. Anyone playing guitar (all the fret members) must see this movie. Maybe it should be a requirement for being allowed to become a member? ;) haha!

My favorite is the Stonehenge scene. What a classic. Words cannot describe this.

tjcurtin1
August 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM
The Tap reunited for the recent Live Earth concert in London - I heard an interview on NPR with Harry Shearer (bass player Derek Small) which was really funny. They had written a new song just for the concert. Knowing Spinal Tap, can you guess the title? (Think global warming and the Tap's satanic verses... it is called "Warm as Hell"!) For anyone who wants to recall some classic lines/scenes, follow this link to the International Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/

And only for those who've who've seen the film already, from youtube:

Interview with the director trying to reunite the band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxSvF8iNEPg

AND

"Big Bottom' live from the Live Earth concert!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXy0hZDIrmY&NR=1

tjcurtin1
August 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
And for you David Gilmore fans, here he is with the Tap on bass playing, once again, 'Big Bottom' - for real, believe it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UOYKgXk4yE&mode

zeusse
August 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I never heard of band members blowing up until this movie....LMAO it should be required viewing before anybody decides to join a band:)

Spudman
August 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
They also did a live concert DVD, not long after the movie came out, which I have, and I must say that it's pretty impressive. They play all the instruments and sing. No lip syncing Milli Vanilli stuff going on here. The lighting, sound, and mix are very good and Nigel has his big amph and some very cool guitars.

pie_man_25
August 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM
okay, I'm a little confused here, what movie are we talking about?

plus, unfortunately I was playing a stupid improv blues gig at some stupid "insert crop here" festival or something and I missed live earth, all I've been able to see of it were the crap from muchmusic TV channel's "best of" bullshit with fall out boy and the crap, does anybody have recordings of it, or possibly even youtube links of it?

Spudman
August 21st, 2007, 07:46 AM
The movie is called "This Is Spinal Tap." Required watching for any musician or person with a sense of humor.

Tone2TheBone
August 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Where was Nigel? And why does Derek have a neck brace?

marnold
August 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Best . . . all-bass song . . . evar.

Katastrophe
August 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM
There are so many classic lines in that movie... Pure comic genius!

pie_man_25
August 22nd, 2007, 10:01 AM
The movie is called "This Is Spinal Tap." Required watching for any musician or person with a sense of humor.

Ohh, this is spinal tap, the mocumentary, I've heard a lot of hilarious stuff about that movie, but, unfortunately have yet to see it, I'll go over to a freinds today and youtube it.

tjcurtin1
August 22nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
Where was Nigel? And why does Derek have a neck brace?

Yes, that's the big question - where's Nigel?! I saw a clip of Nigel on youtube explaining how scared Joe Satriani was when he played with them... partialy becasue at that point, Nigel explains that he made the leap to having all his amp nobs go "to infinity"!:D

My guess is that Derek is wearing the brace because..... it's ridiculous and there was probaly a great back story about it at the concert....

pes_laul
August 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
probaly my favorite scene was either the one where nigel was complaning about the little bread or the one where the bass player is trapped in the plastic container

Tone2TheBone
August 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM
...or the one where the bass player is trapped in the plastic container

..."it's a rock 'n roll...cree-a-shuh huh hun...Yin was searching for...his Yang..." hahaha I love that part too.

tjcurtin1
August 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM
[Nigel is playing a soft piece on the piano]
Marty: It's very pretty.
Nigel: Yeah, I've been fooling around with it for a few months.
Marty: It's a bit of a departure from what you normally play.
Nigel: It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.
Marty: It's very nice.
Nigel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of...
Marty: What do you call this?
Nigel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

tjcurtin1
August 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Sorry the first link didn't have the quotes - here they are for your recollecction and delectation - NOT to be read by anyone who hasn;t seen the movie yet!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/quotes

Spudman
September 27th, 2007, 01:45 PM
This is why you gotta love em.
kPq0weuycyE

tunghaichuan
September 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM
You know, I really loved "This is Spinal Tap," it is a very funny movie. I remember seeing it in the theaters with my parents when I was still in high school. I even remember seeing "The Return of Spinal Tap" on TV.

But it got real old for me in the early 90s when the the guitar magazines started to treat them like a real band, offering "lessons," "interviews," etc. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. :whatever:

tung

Spudman
September 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM
But they are a real band. I have the concert video and it's very very good. They all play all their own instruments, sing and do a great job of it. No lip syncing.
Dweezil Zappa as a guest player?
nGjN1iWiu8k

tunghaichuan
September 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
But they are a real band. I have the concert video and it's very very good. They all play all their own instruments, sing and do a great job of it. No lip syncing.
Dweezil Zappa as a guest player?

You're right, my post was poorly worded. I have their two CDs, and they are pretty good. In fact, "B*tch School" was one of the first songs I learned to play all the way through.

What I meant to say was the guitar press started treating them like the back story/mythology of the band was real. The "documentary" was fiction, performed by actors. None of it happened. But the guitar mags started acting like it did, and that was annoying to me.

tung