PDA

View Full Version : My first Jazz attempt

zeusse
August 20th, 2007, 06:21 PM
After getting inspired by Franks's Rapid Transit track I decided to give this jazz backer a go...I'm not a jazz player and it might be considered more blues riffs than jazz but hey I'm learning so it might take me awhile to get the hang of it. Please comment and let me know where I can improve cause I know I need improvement in this area of my playing...and thanks Frank for getting me inspired.

http://www.box.net/shared/znahbputm8 <<Jazz attempt

SuperSwede
August 21st, 2007, 02:03 AM
Hey Ho Zeusse! That was a brilliant recording! :)
Very jazzy, and the bluesy parts fitted right in.

M29
August 21st, 2007, 06:57 AM
Hey zeusse, very nice, great feel, and smooth flow with great dynamics. The song kept my attention for every phrase and they all complimented the song very well.

More more!!

M29

duhvoodooman
August 21st, 2007, 07:56 AM
First attempt??? :eek: Doubt that I could do that well on my 100th!

Very tasty playing there, Zeusse. You're a versatile guitarist!

R_of_G
August 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM
nicely done Zeusse! good tone.

Justaguyin_nc
August 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM
Frank sure is inspirational listening to his tunes.... and if this is what he inspires.. keep inspiring Frank...

Nice feel Zeusse, really enjoy listening to this stuff... never figure how ya guys get all those notes going.. but it sure does blend well...

Robert
August 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM
Great tones, keep that up and listen to lots of good jazz players. Sounds pretty darn good for the first attempt!

Can you post the backing track?

elavd
August 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
Very nice playing Zeusse!!! I liked your phrasing although you're (as you say) not so experienced in jazz ;)

Which guitar did you use? Your Les paul?

The only thing that I have to notice is that I'd prefer a 100% clean sound on your amp. I think that i hear a slight overdrive in your tone. It's not bad at all, but I'd like a more pure traditional tone ;)

Also another suggestion would be to try to use more octaves (like Wes Montgomery) in your phrasing, as also some jazzy slides (from a semitone up or below your target note)

Congratulations once again!!!

PS: I'd like also the backing track...

Jimi75
August 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
That song is so good that it went directly on my MP3 Player.
Perfect Jazz vibe and feel and great phrasing and playing!!!

Katastrophe
August 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
Brilliant, man! The phrasing and feel is awesome. You really can't tell this is a first attempt.

zeusse
August 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM
Very nice playing Zeusse!!! I liked your phrasing although you're (as you say) not so experienced in jazz ;)

Which guitar did you use? Your Les paul?

The only thing that I have to notice is that I'd prefer a 100% clean sound on your amp. I think that i hear a slight overdrive in your tone. It's not bad at all, but I'd like a more pure traditional tone ;)

Also another suggestion would be to try to use more octaves (like Wes Montgomery) in your phrasing, as also some jazzy slides (from a semitone up or below your target note)

Congratulations once again!!!

PS: I'd like also the backing track...Yes your absolutely right I need to fit some more octave and mixolodian runs in and as I get more comfortable with the timing of these jazz tempo's I'll get a little more daring and your right it was a hasty quick put together tone for this so my other project will to work on a nice jazz tone..I appreciate your advice cause in this area I definately need help.

Its tough for an old shredder to move in a different direction and try and wipe this lump of mush in my head into a new frame of mind....must be the age thing setting in I only started listening to jazz on a more regular basis about a month ago and its really quite exquisite. I play alot of classical guitar but the chord progressions on jazz tracks are making me revisit those whacky chords that never seemed to fit into traditional guitar playing.

And Robert I'll post the backer in the backing section for yourself and anyone else that would like to give it a go....I do have lots of these in various keys and progressions.....thanks for listening guys I'll keep working and get another one up in a few months when I get it smoothed and toned better:)

oldguy
August 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Beautiful tune, man. Very well done, let's hear some more when you have time, please.