PDA

View Full Version : Vox update

fendermojoman
August 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Several months ago I posted here regarding my VOX AD30VT. I stated that something inside the amp "smoked" one day (a component burned) and it was never the same afterwards even though it still would work. It would change volume on it's own and the longer it was on, the clean would automatically turn to dirty sound with lots of bass added.
I had no luck in getting a 8 month old amp fixed and the so called "warranty" and reaching VOX is impossible so . . .I disassembled the damn thing and threw it in the trash where it rightfully belongs. VOX- I'm done with you and your cheap components and asian made (Viet Nam) junk. I'm headed back to Marshall or Fender, those I can get fixed IF-they ever break! :mad:

Robert
August 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Ouch man, you're not in your best mood today! With such bad luck, I can understand that. Not sure why your warranty wouldn't cover this though.

Personally, my Valvetronix has never had an issue, so they are not all bad.

250Keith
August 21st, 2007, 09:22 PM
Sorry to here about your amp, I've been reading about these amps having some problems but a very small amount of them, alot of people just love these amps. I have never tryed one so I cant say if I like them or not, Good luck with your search for tone.
Keith.

marnold
August 22nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems with it. But did you check the service centers in your area? According to Vox's site Foggy Mountain Music in Grass Valley is a service center and there are three places in Nashville (the two cities listed by your name). I bought mine from a place that is also a service center. The tech there actually raves about Vox's warranty policy because they are one of the few who will actually allow them to repair the amps. Almost every company is going to a "replace-only" warranty. I'm not sure if that's more of a testimony to quality or to the razor-thin margins these days.

sunvalleylaw
August 22nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems with it. But did you check the service centers in your area? According to Vox's site Foggy Mountain Music in Grass Valley is a service center and there are three places in Nashville (the two cities listed by your name). I bought mine from a place that is also a service center. The tech there actually raves about Vox's warranty policy because they are one of the few who will actually allow them to repair the amps. Almost every company is going to a "replace-only" warranty. I'm not sure if that's more of a testimony to quality or to the razor-thin margins these days.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with your unit. I hope you find the right rep or whatever to help you make it right.

Marnold: that is great to hear. Listened to a discussion involving Theresa Heinz-Kerry and John Kerry last night involving the topic of repairing or re-using the components of consumer goods instead tossing it or just re-cycling it into lower grade materials. That is good to hear about Vox.

Justaguyin_nc
August 22nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Fendermojoman, I now your feelings about now on VOX.. If you read through some of my posts, I am also the type that gets lemons here and there.. I get more frustrated with the sellers..go figure..

I think the problem is QC in all companies and the little bit they are getting for their products.. Here recently I got one geat little Epi Valve Junior Head.. and the second one..seems iffy at best to me.. check this out.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLC-Y5y-agY for what I mean..and thats brand spanking new improved version.. but probably something simple wrong with it..

I came to thefret.net because of ole Robert and his VOX 50.. great sounds.. and he has been fortunate enough to have one keep working..

I did break down and get a VOX DA5 which, although I think Rolands MicroCube is built better.. the VOX seems to be worth every penny (till something goes wrong)

I personally seen all the negative feedbacks thruout the internet about the VOX amps so have passed on the bigger ones.. but the guys I meet here usually LOVE them.. and their sounds..

it's a shame Quality Control just aint as good as when everything was point to point and inspected!

My sympathies go out to ya..

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
I have had my VOX AD30VT for three years now Besides the jack coming loose and falling in I never had any other problem. I fixed the jack and it never happened again. The only other issue I have is the blanket effect with the speaker. I plan on swapping out speakers in the near future. Sorry to hear about you "smoking" problems.

aeolian
August 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
I have had my VOX AD30VT for three years now Besides the jack coming loose and falling in I never had any other problem. I fixed the jack and it never happened again. The only other issue I have is the blanket effect with the speaker. I plan on swapping out speakers in the near future. Sorry to hear about you "smoking" problems.

I swapped the speaker for a Celestion G10 last year and the amp sounds really good since. My AD30VT has been generally good, a few times in the middle of playing I would change something (effects generally) and the amp would start to act all weird. I turn it off and then back on and everything would be back to normal. Other than this occasional glitch it's been great.

Tim
August 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
I swapped the speaker for a Celestion G10 last year and the amp sounds really good since. My AD30VT has been generally good, a few times in the middle of playing I would change something (effects generally) and the amp would start to act all weird. I turn it off and then back on and everything would be back to normal. Other than this occasional glitch it's been great.

Thanks Aeolian fro the speaker swap out information. I read from another website that others have reset the amp to factory settings (read the manual for instructions) that fixed the same problem you are experiencing.

fendermojoman
August 29th, 2007, 07:53 PM
:( To all who replied to my post that haven't had issues withtheir VOX amps, I'm happy for you- I really am. But I have uncovered even more disgruntled Vox owners than just myself. Many who have experienced the very same problems I've had: Intermittent clean/crunch changes (slowly), various volume and Bass changes in and out of a model. I tried getting it fixed but no luck. I loved the feature set of this box as no one else comes close but I can't see spending good money after bad on Vietnamese Quality or lack thereof. I'll stck with Fender and Line6 for the time being. Best to you all!:o

Ger the man
September 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Hi all,
I have a valvetronix AD50 and havent had any problems with it (not gigging yet). Anyway regarding the 'jack' coming loose, why not just permanently leave the guitar cable plugged in? In other words stop plugging it in and out everytime you want to practice?

kerc
September 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
It seems to be the Valvetronix series, because I've had a Pathfinder 15 for almost ten years, and just a couple of months ago the tone pot got slightly scratchy. Other than that, it's been ridiculously reliable.

Sorry about your amp, Fendermojoman. :(