PDA

View Full Version : 70's LP Custom with extra switches

tjcurtin1
August 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
A buddy of mine just lent me his 70's vintage LP Custom to fool around with. WOW! What a sound! OK, now I know that there really is a difference between a cheap guitar and something at this level!!! But boy, is it heavy.....

This guitar has two tiny toggle switches betweeen the pots. My friend said that it allows switching the humbuckers to single coil... yet one of them is a 3-position switch. I tried to find something about this on line, without success. Anyone know anything?

duhvoodooman
August 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
This guitar has two tiny toggle switches betweeen the pots. My friend said that it allows switching the humbuckers to single coil... yet one of them is a 3-position switch. I tried to find something about this on line, without success. Anyone know anything?
Only thing that comes to mind is that maybe the 3-way is wired to put the two coils in parallel in the 3rd position? This isn't one of the Customs w/ 3 humbuckers, is it?

Are these factory-installed switches or something that was added aftermarket?

warren0728
August 22nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
sounds like aftermarket...mucho experimentation needed!! :DR

ww

tjcurtin1
August 22nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah... just dawned on me that it must be a mod...

There's more growl and volume from both pickups in one position, and the middle position on the bridge pup just takes it out.

This guitar has two uncovered humbuckers. Maybe the age on the pups is what gives it such a nice sound, or maybe that's just cause it's an LP.

duhvoodooman
August 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
I dunno, Warren. I was just looking at a photo of my friend Dave's black LP's, and check out the one on the left--two small toggles between the knobs! And I'm sure he didn't add 'em!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/black_LPs.jpg

warren0728
August 22nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
interesting....never seen a configuration like that....but with three pickups maybe isn't after market...

ww