PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Picks

Nelskie
February 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
While I know picks are an individual preference item, I though I'd pass this pick tidbit along. Myself, I played standard shape pick for (22) years or so - usually Jim Dunlop nylon .46 mm or Fender Celluloid Medium. Usually, the Dunlops would get pretty worn at the playing end, and the Fenders would always break at the most in-opportune times. My music-shop owner buddy of course noticed this, and last fall after doing some work on one of my axes, dropped about 5-6 .80 mm Clayton pickups in my case for me to try. They have now become my #1 pick to use.

The Clayton "rounded triangle" pick has an over-sized design, which provides more surface area to hold while playing. That I liked immediately, which surprised me, cuz' I didn't think I would. Plus, there's (3) sides that can be used (unlike standard picks which only have one). The pick itself is made with Acetal, which is an extremely durable plastic polymer, and has a non-slip, matte-finished surface. What I've found with the Clayton picks is that they stand up better than anything I've ever used, and being a rather aggressive player, that's important. The size of the pick also gives me a great, controllable feel, and it's sturdiness bides well for picking.

They're a bit more expensive than a standard pick, but I think the features are well worth it. Anyways, you might want to give 'em a try. I know they've made a difference in my playing. Here's a link:

http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.html