PDA

View Full Version : School's in from summer

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
How many parents of school aged children do we have here? How many are already emailing the teachers over weekly reports? How many are already staying up late every night to make sure the kid's homework is done?

*raises hand*

Anyone else?

I got one 10th grader and one 4th grader. I never expected to "go back to school" all over again once I got out myself. Let's see how well I remember Geometry and Chemistry. Ugh.....

sunvalleylaw
August 23rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
School starts up again Monday for my 4th grader and my 2nd grader. Homework is about to really kick in I bet for my older boy (and me!). My pre-schooler starts in another coupla weeks.

duhvoodooman
August 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
My daughter will be a HS senior this year, and my son is just starting HS as a 9th grader. Up here in NY, the kids don't go back until after Labor Day. My daughter has a fabulous work ethic and requires no prodding to do her schoolwork. AAMOF, she's ranked at the top of her class.

My son, on the other hand, is "all boy" and would much rather be playing video games on the PC or Nintendo than working on his math or English....er, no--now it's "Language Arts"! So the battle will be joined the first week of September!

So, Tone....I feel your pain, man! :D

warren0728
August 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
first week of school here....my son conner is in 5th and my daughter jessie is in 3rd....both love their teachers....

ww

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
*shakes head* Let the battle ensue... ;)

My youngest has the ethic but needs direction. The oldest is a socialite like her grandmother. God help me. heh Ah 5th and 3rd grade is awesome Warren....lucky!

Anyone else?

aeolian
August 23rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I have a daughter going into 8th grade and a son starting 6th. School doesn't start until after Labor Day weekend. The truth is they have been slacking off (due to my wife and I not getting on them) during the summer. I hope they still remember what they learned last year when school starts this year.

My son got on a reading kick this summer. He read the last 3 volumes of the Harry Potter books this summer and is now reading the 2 books he missed before. He just started Azkaban yesterday.

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Both my daughters like to read so that's a good help. The HP books are great reading for kids their age aeolian. Math on the other hand.....ugh.

sunvalleylaw
August 23rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Both my daughters like to read so that's a good help. The HP books are great reading for kids their age aeolian. Math on the other hand.....ugh.

(Proud papa moment) My 9 year old just finished the series. He finished the last one in about a week or less. :)

Spudman
August 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
I have a 4th grade girl here. I'm not too worried because I have plenty of duct tape and I'm not afraid to use it.:)

duhvoodooman
August 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
If you're a duct tape aficionado, you'll definitely want to visit HERE (http://www.ducttapeguys.com/new_intro/index.html).....

Katastrophe
August 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Older Kid Kat (my stepdaughter) is 10, and is brilliant. She aced her Gifted and Talented Class last year, and only made one "B" for the year, with the rest "A"s. She's rarin' to go this year, and I imagine she'll do well.

Baby Kat, on the other hand, don't need no stinkin' school. She's able to control full grown adults with but a single look.:D

marnold
August 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
I've got a 5th, 3rd, and 1st graders and a preschooler. Only occasionally do I have to lean on them to get their stuff done. The 5th grader is very smart but his mind wanders.

t_ross33
August 23rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Grade 7 (let the games begin); Grade 5 and Grade 2. All girls. All too damn smart for their own good (or their old man ;)). Purty too, jes like there Mamma. I dun got all thu branes.

The public school (K-8) here is awesome with a good balance of academics, including French language classes throughout, music and arts. You should see their Christmas concert... it's like a Broadway production!

The high school here gets top marks all around as well. When I was a more active member of our local Jaycees, we handed out scholarships to graduating students and I was always impressed that the jocks getting awards were the same kids getting awards for academics.

The girls are pretty jazzed to be getting back.... so are Mrs. T and I!!

Trev

zeusse
August 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
My daughter will be a HS senior this year, and my son is just starting HS as a 9th grader. Up here in NY, the kids don't go back until after Labor Day. My daughter has a fabulous work ethic and requires no prodding to do her schoolwork. AAMOF, she's ranked at the top of her class.

My son, on the other hand, is "all boy" and would much rather be playing video games on the PC or Nintendo than working on his math or English....er, no--now it's "Language Arts"! So the battle will be joined the first week of September!

So, Tone....I feel your pain, man! :D....and I sypathize with your plite its a carbon copy of mine....my daughter is a brain child and my son thinks a hockey stick and playstation should be required apparel at school.....god help us all....but my algebra has improved..LOL and why does A=1...always seemed silly to me and still does:D

SuperSwede
August 24th, 2007, 12:21 AM
My daughter Felicia is 8 years old, her school week started last wednesday. 2nd grade.

Bloozcat
August 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Well, as one with no children all I can say is, thumbs up to all of you who are involved parents.

M29
August 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Well...My 15 year old daughter has been helping out at registration this week and my 18 year old son is starting college and we move him in next week. From what I hear everyone moves in the same day...Oh what a joy that will be:eek:

M29

Tim
August 24th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Well my kids are all grown (thank God). My oldest was a genius. She starting reading books at the age of about 10. She was always reading books. My son barely finished high school. He hated going to school and doing homework. My youngest never finished high school. She dropped out of 11th grade despise me jumping up and down. There are certain things a father just cannot control. She finally went back to school to get her GED and is now going to college in the evenings. She has now realized that a GED is not as good as a diploma in the eyes of employers. When she questioned the difference I told her there is no difference between the 2 pieces of paper. But a diploma shows discipline and motivation. A GED indicates a quitter with no responsibility. She got the picture. One must get burnt before learning not to touch the oven.

Tim
August 24th, 2007, 07:32 AM
If you're a duct tape aficionado, you'll definitely want to visit HERE (http://www.ducttapeguys.com/new_intro/index.html).....

Duvoodoo, I am not putting down your post nor your link, but I have to tell this story. Everything has its good and bad side to what it is supposed to be used for.

I use to be a duck tape kind of guy. I laughed at all the duct tape jokes and other related stories. I even laughed at the guy that duct taped his face (what an idiot). That all changed about bout two weeks ago when my grandson told me the sad story that his dad duct taped his hands and legs. The father even did it to his 12-year-old daughter. Supposedly they were playing cops and robbers. The father was the cop of course (it’s all about domination). I had to walk out of the room to wipe away a tear or two from my eyes. This idiot of a father never was married to my daughter. She calls him a sperm donor, which she admits was a mistake because of drugs. Hello wake up call! This guy has been mentally abusing the kid since he was born. My daughter has taken him to court many times without success. He is a local boy with a well know name. He always walks away an innocent man. My daughter is afraid to take him back to court (no matter what he does) for fear of losing the child to the father. He is already using the term “alienation”.

Anyways, I sat my grandson down and told him that at 10 years old don’t ever let your father ever touch you again. If he ever hits you again during weekend visits, call 911 or let me know. I will personally call the police so he can tell his story. My grandson tells me he never wants to see his father again. I tell him that some day his wish will come true. You just have to wait until you’re a little older. I am not sure what the age of maturity is for this kind of decision, but I figure he has about 3 more years. In the meanwhile, the father just builds more hate in this child.

I hate and despise people like his father.

Then there is yesterday’s story about a guy who put a little girl in a dryer. What a sick world we live in.

Moral of this story … love and protect your kids. They grow up very fast.

Spudman
August 24th, 2007, 07:58 AM
That's very sad indeed Tim, but it was me that posted the 'I use duct tape' thing.
I do only use it out of love.:D kidding I'm not trying to make light of your story but with a hot looking little girl that is going to be a heart breaker soon and me being a father for the first time, tape is one tool I can effectively use to keep the boys at bay and her out of trouble. A 7 foot barbed wire fence goes around the house when she turns 12 too.

Yes I'm still being a smart a**, but life has to have a little humor.:)

Tim
August 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Don't forget land mines. On both sides of the fence. Little girls are not as sweet and innocent as some people think. I have two that fit that category. I was riding around the neighborhood with my youngest (23) yesterday. Her car was making a funny noise. As we drove by some wooded areas and also a few bay inlets, she began to tell me all the things she did when she was younger. Smoking, skinning dipping and other small trivial things that young teenagers do. Now that she knows there are moccasins. rattlers and alligators in them there swaps, she told me she would not get caught back there for anything. I told her I knew all what she and her brother were doing. I just never told mother. I also told her she now realizes she is not as tough as she thought she was. She just looked at me and said, "I am waking up dad". I laughed and said good mourning and welcome to the real world. I got a nasty look back. LOL

pie_man_25
August 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
/\ wow, well, I'm going into grade 11 in the 4th of september, my sister is entering her first year of university, she wants to be an author when she grows up and do all her work in her pajamas on a laptop at 2:00 in the afternoon. I have a cousin entering grade nine in the same school as me, so my uncle (who owns a computer business by the way, and employs me on occaison) has assigned me to keep the boys off, that duct-tape is looking good right about now.

also, I'm going to build a thunderbird bass with a P/P pickup configuration in shop class and learn how to play it in music class!(I took shop as a spare and I may get it because my course counsellor called me last week about it)

pie_man_25
August 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Well...My 15 year old daughter has been helping out at registration this week and my 18 year old son is starting college and we move him in next week. From what I hear everyone moves in the same day...Oh what a joy that will be:eek:

M29

15 year old daughter eh?.... is she into led zeppelin at all?

warren0728
August 24th, 2007, 12:44 PM
my sister is entering her first year of university, she wants to be an author when she grows up and do all her work in her pajamas on a laptop at 2:00 in the afternoon.
nothing wrong with that....i work at home and on many occasions i work in my pj's....unless i have to meet a client....then it's plaid shorts and a t-shirt! :eek:

ww

Bloozcat
August 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM
pie_man,

Don't you guys do 13 grades up there in Canada before you're through with high school?

SuperSwede
August 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM
That's very sad indeed Tim, but it was me that posted the 'I use duct tape' thing.
I do only use it out of love.:D kidding I'm not trying to make light of your story but with a hot looking little girl that is going to be a heart breaker soon and me being a father for the first time, tape is one tool I can effectively use to keep the boys at bay and her out of trouble. A 7 foot barbed wire fence goes around the house when she turns 12 too.

Yes I'm still being a smart a**, but life has to have a little humor.:)

You shouldnt do that Spud, I will definately encourage my daughter to meet guys... I mean she can date all she want... after her 40th birthday.

Tim
August 25th, 2007, 10:10 AM
You shouldnt do that Spud, I will definately encourage my daughter to meet guys... I mean she can date all she want... after her 40th birthday.

You have to give all kids some freedom. Otherwise they will never learn how to make major decisions in their lives. We all learn from our mistakes. We need to teach them the discipline to accept failure. Today society only teaches about being successfully and getting what you want out of life. We all know that life does not work like that. Just look at Hollywood. They are the heroes of our kids today. As my favorite aunt use to say about today's standards of living "I am glad I am on my way out, and not on my way in". True words. Its up to us to change that through our children.

pie_man_25
August 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
pie_man,

Don't you guys do 13 grades up there in Canada before you're through with high school?

we only technically have 12 grades, but you can opt to go through a fifth year for various reasons.

pie_man_25
August 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
nothing wrong with that....i work at home and on many occasions i work in my pj's....unless i have to meet a client....then it's plaid shorts and a t-shirt! :eek:

ww

there's nothing wrong with that, its just that its kinda lazy, you know?
kinda like that song by deep purple, its just that she makes a hell of a good living off of it.

warren0728
August 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM
there's nothing wrong with that, its just that its kinda lazy, you know?
i don't think what you wear while working makes you lazy...it's what you accomplish while working that would define your laziness. I know a lot of folks who wear business suits that i would consider lazy and some of the hardest working people i know are sole proprietors (like me) who are always dressed casually....

ww

Brian Krashpad
August 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
A week in and no major trauma/drama here yet.

Have a girl in her first year of high school (9th grade) and a boy in his last year of grade school (5th grade).

pes_laul
August 25th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Older Kid Kat (my stepdaughter) is 10, and is brilliant. She aced her Gifted and Talented Class last year, and only made one "B" for the year, with the rest "A"s. She's rarin' to go this year, and I imagine she'll do well.

Baby Kat, on the other hand, don't need no stinkin' school. She's able to control full grown adults with but a single look.:D
jeez if i get a b- minus im like the king of the world C's and B's

pie_man_25
August 26th, 2007, 05:38 PM
i don't think what you wear while working makes you lazy...it's what you accomplish while working that would define your laziness. I know a lot of folks who wear business suits that i would consider lazy and some of the hardest working people i know are sole proprietors (like me) who are always dressed casually....

ww

Its not that, itsjust that in bed, on a laptop, in your pajamas at two in the afternoon and making several million a year IS pretty lazy, there's nothing wrong with it, I was just stating my opinion

warren0728
August 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM
i guess i'm confused...it she were doing the exact same work at the exact same time for the same money, but was in an office and not in pj's then she wouldn't be lazy?

ww

pie_man_25
August 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
i guess i'm confused...it she were doing the exact same work at the exact same time for the same money, but was in an office and not in pj's then she wouldn't be lazy?

ww

goddamnit now you're confusing me!!!

warren0728
August 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM
goddamnit now you're confusing me!!!
cool...i hate being confused by myself! :D

ww