View Full Version : Octave Fuzz with some Wah

Robert
August 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Check out the wanker at http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-50.php

:DR

How's that sound?

sunvalleylaw
August 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Cool sounds! But that player is kind of a wanker isn't he? Can't believe he's getting press! ;-)

250Keith
August 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Gez Robert feeling a little frisky!:D That was smoking hot:R

Spudman
August 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Great sounds. What was that one lick?:cool:
It's too bad that we never get that kind of fidelity when we have a band cranking behind us.

Katastrophe
August 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Sounds like you were channeling the Voodoo Chile himself at the end, Robert! That wah has an impressive tone sweep to it.

zeusse
August 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
I never thought of adding octave with wha now thats pretty cool Robert I'm glad your tinkering to figure all of this out and not muddy sounding at all too:)

SuperSwede
August 24th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Awesome, the Octave Fuzz tracks pretty good! I remember the how difficult it was to play something properly with the first Boss Octave pedal.

stingx
August 24th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Geez, Robert, I love how your videos come out. Very nicely recorded and clear to view. I think the sound is great. My friend has the same Strat as you in Red though - Deluxe Players right? Awesome Octave Fuzz. That's one pedal I don't have and you just gave me serious gas for one. I like the tones when you combine it with the wah.

Robert
August 24th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks guys, that octave fuzz is fun! I have been thinking of replacing it with the Fulltone Octafuzz, but since I don't use it that much, maybe I'll just keep it, since it does work pretty good for over the top stuff. The Octafuzz can be less crazy, which can be good for more subtle use. But screw subtle!

This is not an octave pedal - it is imitating an Octavia, like Hendrix used.

duhvoodooman
August 24th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Nice! Those octave-fuzz combo effects are pretty cool; quite a unique sound. BYOC has a kit for one of these now. Maybe I should give one a try!

FYI, HERE (http://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/octavia.htm) is a very interesting read (for us geeks, at least!) on the original Octavia pedal used by Hendrix, written by the guy who built it, Roger Mayer. A particularly interesting note in there is the fact that the original prototype used by Hendrix to record Purple Haze and Fire was thrown in the trash soon after!! Can you imagine what that would be worth today??? BTW, the Octavia was just an octave-up pedal, though--Hendrix used it in back of a fuzz pedal, presumably the Fuzz Face.

Bloozcat
August 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM
That was great Robert. Nice work!

I really enjoyed watching and listening to that!

Robert
August 24th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys! The SD-9 is a sweet distortion pedal that I can't put away.

The Octave Fuzz is a combination of fuzz and octavia, and Jimi used an octavia pedal combined with a fuzz pedal, just like DVM says.

There are lots of options out there, but the one I would look closest at is the Octafuzz by Fulltone. It lets you switch on/off the octavia and fuzz effects independently, so it is way more versatile than my pedal here.

oldguy
August 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Wow, your playing was great, so was the sound combinations, Robert. Very nice licks and chords.