PDA

View Full Version : If you know the Harry Potter books

aeolian
August 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
This past weekend we went to the Oregon coast. While there we went into a candy store. My son got all excited because he found that they sell Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. This is a candy that is mentioned throughout the Harry Portter books, I did not even know that there are actual candies made, turns out they are made by the same company that make jelly beans, likely because they are made famous from the books.

We bought a box of it and while on the drive home to Portland we decided to taste some of them. For those who is familiar with them you will know that there some really weird flavors mentioned in the book. I was brave enough to have tasted "grass", which actually wasn't bad and did taste a little like grass, "sardine" which initially tasted a little like sardines, then it just tasted like cinnamon and pepper. I also tried "vomit" which was weirdly unpleasant, but not horrible like you would imagine. I ate one which is either "dirt" or "earthworm" (the kids could not tell just by comparing the color of the bean to the labelling on the box), that wasn't bad. Finally I ate a "rotten egg" and it tasted exactly like rotten eggs all the way through. Eck! I had to take a swig of soda to wash away the taste.

Any of you ever tried these?

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
This past weekend we went to the Oregon coast. While there we went into a candy store. My son got all excited because he found that they sell Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. This is a candy that is mentioned throughout the Harry Portter books, I did not even know that there are actual candies made, turns out they are made by the same company that make jelly beans, likely because they are made famous from the books.

We bought a box of it and while on the drive home to Portland we decided to taste some of them. For those who is familiar with them you will know that there some really weird flavors mentioned in the book. I was brave enough to have tasted "grass", which actually wasn't bad and did taste a little like grass, "sardine" which initially tasted a little like sardines, then it just tasted like cinnamon and pepper. I also tried "vomit" which was weirdly unpleasant, but not horrible like you would imagine. I ate one which is either "dirt" or "earthworm" (the kids could not tell just by comparing the color of the bean to the labelling on the box), that wasn't bad. Finally I ate a "rotten egg" and it tasted exactly like rotten eggs all the way through. Eck! I had to take a swig of soda to wash away the taste.

Any of you ever tried these?

I want some of those!!

I remember Ron Weasely talking about the "Boh-ger" flavoured ones. Had one of those yet?

zeusse
August 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Now I'd love to get those to get even with my son who loves to steal my gum all the time....I think the vomit would be the first one I'd let him have...LOL .....don't think I'll find them around here though

sunvalleylaw
August 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
I've had 'em. Those vomit ones are gross. I think there are booger ones if I remember correctly.

aeolian
August 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
There is a "booger" flavor but we did not find one in our box of Every Flavor Beans. My daughter ate one which was "soap" and it smelled exactly like soap.

Just in case you are interested in buying some:

http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/Shop/CandyDetails.htm?CS_ProductID=1064314&CS_Category=BertieBotts&CS_Catalog=B2C

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM
There is a "booger" flavor but we did not find one in our box of Every Flavor Beans. My daughter ate one which was "soap" and it smelled exactly like soap.

Just in case you are interested in buying some:

http://jellybelly.com/Cultures/en-US/Shop/CandyDetails.htm?CS_ProductID=1064314&CS_Category=BertieBotts&CS_Catalog=B2C

Then I was right. If I remember correctly, one of my sons, (names are changed to protect the guilty and I am not saying which one) indicated that the taste was accurate for the booger flavored ones. At that time, his Mom teased him that he did not need to spend money on the jelly beans. Obviously, we were trying to nip a bad habit in the bud. Darn kids! LOL!

Tone2TheBone
August 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Then I was right. If I remember correctly, one of my sons, (names are changed to protect the guilty and I am not saying which one) indicated that the taste was accurate for the booger flavored ones. At that time, his Mom teased him that he did not need to spend money on the jelly beans. Obviously, we were trying to nip a bad habit in the bud. Darn kids! LOL!

I just hurled my breakfast thanks Steve! Bleck! LMAO

LagrangeCalvert
August 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I just hurled my breakfast thanks Steve! Bleck! LMAO

well.....if you need your breakfast back there are bacon flavored ones too. thats the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Tone2TheBone
August 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM
well.....if you need your breakfast back there are bacon flavored ones too. thats the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Bacon yes. Boogers no. :p

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I love the whimsey of it. I love the scene in one of the books/movies where Dumbledore tries one that was given to Harry at his bedside as he recovered from injuries hoping for better luck than when he was a kid thinking he had selected a nice toffee flavored one, but says,

Alas, . . . . ear wax.

I loved that scene!

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hey Aeolian, where were you on the Oregon coast? I used to go to Cannon Beach with friends to a buddy's cabin every year for the upcoming holiday weekend. Great time of year to go. I also used to shoot over to Lincoln City and Waldport during law school years in Salem and later on. Cannon Beach was always my favorite though. Sounds like a good break from the smoke here right now!

pie_man_25
August 24th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I've tried one of those jellybeans, it wasn't very disgusting, keep in mind I don't know the flavour and the only two foods I do not eat are ketchup and jell-o.