PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought My First Tube Amp!

WackyT
August 26th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I just won a near mint Pignose G40V for $170 shipped. :R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140149584400

Anyone have any experience with this amp?

oldguy
August 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM
No experience, but I think you got it for about half new price... congrats!!!:D

Robert
August 26th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Have fun with it, should be a decent amp!

warren0728
August 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM
i've heard good things about them...on a shipping note.....it would best to have him remove the tubes and package them separately with bubble wrap....shipping a tube amp with the tubes still in it could cause tube damage....just my 2 cents...

ww

WackyT
August 26th, 2007, 09:17 AM
i've heard good things about them...on a shipping note.....it would best to have him remove the tubes and package them separately with bubble wrap....shipping a tube amp with the tubes still in it could cause tube damage....just my 2 cents...

ww

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I was planning on asking him to do when I pay for it tonight after work.

Been reading some good suggestions on mods and tube replacements online. Guess one of the first things to do is get a good speaker for it.

warren0728
August 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM
for tubes i suggest calling bob at eurotubes...he really knows his stuff....you can describe the tone you are looking for and he will hand pick a set of tubes for you...

http://eurotubes.com/index.htm

ww

aeolian
August 26th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Another recommendation for Bob at Eurotubes.

My tube amp developed a problem a couple of months ago and it will not turn on. I remember reading online that Eurotubes is a good place to deal with. I looked them up on the internet and was surprised to find out they are here in Portland (they are in Milwaukie, which is a suburb of Portland). I called them up and went out there to get a couple of power tubes. Well, turned out that was not the only problem. I called them back and they told me to bring my amp out. They put in a new rectifier tube to see if that was the problem. After they made sure that fixed my problem was when I paid them, for the tube only, no charge to figure out the problem with my amp.

I'd go back to them again if I need tubes for sure.

333maxwell
August 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I just won a near mint Pignose G40V for $170 shipped. :R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140149584400

Anyone have any experience with this amp?

They were the insipiration for the Epiphone 5 and 15 watters that are making all the rage now..

Not in the wattage, but in the budget tube amp market..

It's a Chinese made amp, but they can put em together with machines there, just as well as they can put em together with machines anywhere..

I had a student who had one and I thought it was a smokin lil amp.. a box or two in front and it turned into a monstor.. I think he said changing the speaker made all the difference.. took it from a good lil amp to a great lil amp.

Good score on your part.. I can't wait for your review!

250Keith
August 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I love my Blues 30, Have fun with your amp tubes sound so gooood.

Bloozcat
August 26th, 2007, 07:21 PM
This amp gets some pretty good tones, from clean and overdriven Fender, to Marshall crunch. While Bob at Eurotubes is great, he only carries JJ tubes. I've bought from him and would definitely reccommend him if it's JJ tubes you're after.

If I was thinking of replacement tubes for this amp though, I think I'd opt for SED Winged =C= 6L6's instead, and Tung Sol 12Ax7's for the pre amp section. The speaker isn't that great either, and a replacement would really enhance the tone (unless you happen to have a good 2X12 cab to plug it into).

The Pignose G40V was one of those great bang for the buck amps. Unfortunately, the price has increased dramatically recently. You got a good deal on yours though WackyT, and I'm sure you'll be happy with the amp. There's nothing like the thick, fat, and warm, tone of tubes...:DR

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Congrats Wacky T! That sounds like a really good score.

WackyT
September 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Got the G40V today, she works but she oscillates when you turn her up beyond a whisper. One of the 6L6 power tubes is rattling, which I read isn't very good. Ordered a matched pair of "Flying C" SED SV6L6GC and 3 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 tubes to replace the cheap Chinese tubes. I also got her a Jensen 10" 70W MOD speaker.