This is my favorite SRV song ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yAxLgGVRV64

RIP brother.

Bloozcat
August 27th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I have mixed emotions about this day.

My mother died on this day in 1977...

Stevie Ray died on this day in 1990...

But, my wife and I were married on this day in 1983...

My mother would have been happy that this day of sadness was turned into a happy occasion, but there will always be a note of sadness to this day as well.

Tim
August 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Sounds August 27 is your day in infamy. Cherish it Bloozcat.

DaveO
August 27th, 2007, 02:21 PM
A true inspiration for so many.
Dave

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM
You know, he was gone before I really discovered him. I didn't get into his music until just before he was killed. That piece is definately a favorite.

warren0728
August 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM
gonna have to watch "Live at the El Macambo" tonight....and then listen to the bootlegs of his last show at Alpine Vally

ww

marnold
August 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM
You know, I remember the day he died like it was yesterday. I was having a terrible day at work (I was working as a summer teller at a bank). Then news came across the radio that both Eric Clapton and SRV had been killed. It was later amended that only SRV had died. I was bummed out for the rest of the day, but the radio station I was listening to spent the rest of the day playing Stevie's tunes. The really sad thing is that he had finally sobered up and it was all over.

warren0728
August 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM
The really sad thing is that he had finally sobered up and it was all over.
absolutely....he was finally clean and was producing some of his best work ever....so sad...too soon....

ww

Katastrophe
August 27th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Great selection, Tone. RIP, Stevie.

helliott
August 27th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I'm always struck by how different he was in his early times, such as live at the El Macambo and the first dvd in Montreaux, and how he was later. In the early days, he was a genious, brilliant, angry and a little twisted. He always looked fevered when he was playing, to me.
In the latter days, he was more calm, confident, and playing inside himself.
Every year on this date I cry a bit, and today's no different. Thanks for marking this anniversary.

duhvoodooman
August 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'm always struck by how different he was in his early times, such as live at the El Macambo and the first dvd in Montreaux, and how he was later. In the early days, he was a genious, brilliant, angry and a little twisted. He always looked fevered when he was playing, to me.
In the latter days, he was more calm, confident, and playing inside himself.
Every year on this date I cry a bit, and today's no different. Thanks for marking this anniversary.
Early days = juiced up on booze & coke almost constantly vs. clean & sober his last 3 years or so. The unbelievable talent was always there, but the frame of mind was so radically different. I love to see the "before & after" versions of Stevie in those DVD's of his first & last appearances on Austin City Limits. He was so much more at ease later, exuding warmth and self-confidence. He had finally become the man that had been buried inside him by the years of substance abuse.

I obviously never knew him personally, but I still miss him almost every day--whenever I hear one of his tunes or mangle one of them myself. RIP, Stevie, and thanks for all the love you passed our way....

Oldslowhand
August 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I never really knew about Stevie Ray when he was alive, over here in Briton he wasn't played very much on the Radio. A friend lent me an album and I was hooked ! Such a shame to young and to soon. It always surprises me how much effort he put into his playing every note made to count, there's a lesson for us all just right there.

sunvalleylaw
August 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Early days = juiced up on booze & coke almost constantly vs. clean & sober his last 3 years or so. The unbelievable talent was always there, but the frame of mind was so radically different. I love to see the "before & after" versions of Stevie in those DVD's of his first & last appearances on Austin City Limits. He was so much more at ease later, exuding warmth and self-confidence. He had finally become the man that had been buried inside him by the years of substance abuse.

I obviously never knew him personally, but I still miss him almost every day--whenever I hear one of his tunes or mangle one of them myself. RIP, Stevie, and thanks for all the love you passed our way....

I had not thought about his old stuff vs. his new much. I like very much his music and the comfortable, at ease feel of the later stuff. Part of me also really likes his early stuff. One of my favortie CD's I own of his is the In the Beginning release from Austin. Very raw and driven. But now that I am learning more about his life, I can understand a little better the "whys" about what I am hearing. There was a lot of love in his later music.

helliott
August 28th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Amen to that brothers. He's long gone but will never be forgotten in my world.