PDA

View Full Version : The Amph Search Continues...

Katastrophe
August 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Went to a couple of different places today for amph shopping. One stop was at Guitar Center, and the other was Ray and Shane Hennig's Heart of Texas Music. SRV fans may recognize this as the music store where SRV was reported to have acquired the now famous "Number 1."

Ray Hennig was there, and the place oozed mojo out of every nook and cranny. They had just about every conceivable model of Strat hanging on the wall, from MIMs to Custom Shop models. Simply incredible place, with tons of Austin vibe to go around. They will get all my guitar repair/setup business from here on out.

My budget is going to limit me mainly to solid state amphs. My main focus here is on a half stack. Combos are awesome, but I really miss the "WHUMP" factor that my old Marshall cab had. There's just something about 4 - 12" speakers inside a closed cab that just sounds right. Is it excessive? Absofreekinlutely. But hey, that's rock n' roll, my friends.

First up, the Fender FM 100 watt head, played through a Behringer cab. Fender really does know how to dial in a clean tone here, folks. All kinds of sparkly goodness. The "drive" channel was good, too. For solid state, a good, solid, inexpensive choice.

Behringer V-Tone head through a Behringer cab. WOW! This is an analog modeling head that is extremely flexible. Everything I played on it sounded great, and the effects were clear and top notch. Insanely affordable price. I've read reviews questioning the reliability and volume of the unit. No volume worries here. Definitely up there on my list of good sound, affordability and looks good, too.

The Behringer cab is great, too. Totally clean when it needs to be, and misbehaves in the right way when distorted. A good cab for not alotta dough, IMO.

I worked the salesman at GC hard today. We first tried out a Line 6 Spider III HD 150 with a corresponding Line 6 cab, loaded with Celestions. You may remember a previous review where I called some of the settings muddy. This head, with this cab and Celestion speakers, was outstanding. I was playing a Strat quite similar to my own, with the HSS setup. The closed back cab does wonders for tightening the lows and was excellent. I spent a good chunk of time just tweaking tones, and having a ball with what came out. Line 6 engineers really worked on the mids for the Spider III series, and it shows. The models were very convincing, and the amph was LOUD. So far, it's a showdown between Behringer and Line 6.

Next was a Marshall MG100HDFX. My response to this amph was "eh..." It had a rather convincing Marshall tone and was plenty loud enough to gig with. The cleans were good, and the effects sounded good, too. The amph just kinda fell flat after the Line 6. I did not expect this to happen.

Just for grins, I tried a B-52 100 watt AT100 tube amph. Now I understand what all the fuss is about in reference to tubes. There were tons of subtle overtones and harmonics in every note that sounded so much richer than the average solid state. Great amph, but out of my price range at $999.00.

The salesman brought out two brand new B-52 solid state heads and one semi-closed back 4x12 cab to try those out. B-52 wasn't on my radar, but they are now. I didn't record the model names, but one was their value model with a gold front plate, and the other was a bit more expensive with a silver colored front plate. The silver one was set up almost exactly like it's tube brother, but was all solid state. I was floored how close the two sounded. Excellent sounding amph head. The value model was great, too, but the silver one was very responsive. The semi-open back cab was good, too.

Before I left, I tried out one of the new Crate Flexwave 120 H heads with on board effects. I've been playing Crate combo amphs exclusively for the last oh, 10 years or so (for what that's worth). This head, hands down, was the best Crate solid state amph I have ever played on. The effects were good, too.

So, surprisingly, it's a fight between the B-52 (with the silver face), the Line 6, the Behringer, and the Crate. I had a blast today!

I also played a number of guitars today, and that'll go in another part of the forum.

Sorry if this post was too long...

250Keith
August 27th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Great post and write up, have fun and I hope a amp finds you.

SuperSwede
August 28th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Kat, you really have a tough choice here! Tell me more about the B-52 amps!

Katastrophe
August 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Well, I did a little research on the B-52 amphs.

The silver faced head / cab is here: http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/LSSeries.html

The gold faced head / cab is here: http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/LGSeries.html

Oddly enough, the gold faced model (LG series) did not sound as good as the silver faced model (LS series). The "rear porting" on the cabs is about a 2.5" gap between the back panel and the bottom of the cab.

Robert
August 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
The B-52 impressed the reviewers in Guitar Player magazine recently. They did a tube amp combo comparison and the B-52 and the Hot Rod Deluxe got the nods from the guys who tested the amps. See the magazine for more info.

Katastrophe
August 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I have that issue! I'm gonna go back and read that article. Thanks, Robert!

Katastrophe
August 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
The amph showdown on Guitar Player TV: http://www.guitarplayertv.com/

Spudman
August 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Mike Stone from Queensryche uses the B52's.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1593&highlight=queensryche

But this is the amph you really want...Orange Tiny Terror.
This is a pedal board demo using the amph I mentioned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6T5PHNuCpc

SuperSwede
August 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
But this is the amph you really want...Orange Tiny Terror.
This is a pedal board demo using the amph I mentioned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6T5PHNuCpc

Amen to that brother Spud! I tried one recently and it just blew my mind. You cannot believe how that tiny box can produce such a big and punchy sound. Orange amps really sounds fantastic!

(I would like to add that I tried a solid state Orange amp and that was not a very pleasant experience... stay away from those)

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2007, 10:35 AM
The B-52 impressed the reviewers in Guitar Player magazine recently. They did a tube amp combo comparison and the B-52 and the Hot Rod Deluxe got the nods from the guys who tested the amps. See the magazine for more info.

I re-read that article last night. I think it would be fun to go play the two editor's picks, the B-52 and the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, back to back. I think it would be fun to try a Carvin and the Peavey too, just cause I like my Peavey C-30 so much. Between the two editor's picks, it seems to mostly be a matter of taste and what you are looking for. As to the other SS amphs, I am interested to hear your reports. I need to write those ones down so I can "research" them at a Guitar Center or something, next time I get a chance.

Thanks for the reports and have fun with your search. :)

SuperSwede
August 30th, 2007, 12:45 PM
As to the other SS amphs, I am interested to hear your reports. I need to write those ones down so I can "research" them at a Guitar Center or something, next time I get a chance.

SunvalleySteve, Here is some of my recommendations. Most of them are not in production any more so look for them in the used gear department:

Hughes & Kettner: look for a used Attax 80 (blue fuzzy cloth model)! Dont hesitate to try it out if you find one. The H&K Tour Reverb sounds amazing as well, but dont expect much from their newer SS models. They just dont sound as good.

Roland: "Jazz Chorus" Ah yes Baby! ... if you got the cashola to cough up for one of these (120w model much preferred). This is THE solid state tone to look for in my opinion. Also, if you see a Roland Blues Cube dont forget to check out that one too.

Laney: The Tube Fusion series sounds really good, and you can often find good deals on used ones.