PDA

View Full Version : Your Orange Drop voltages?

M29
August 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any in site into what capacitor voltage is best for tone pots? I just read that 400v or over sounds better then say 100v. The pickups are low voltage but I am hearing high voltage on the caps is supposed to be best. Any tips? I just bought online 30 dollas worth of Orange Drops at 100v and I think I may have messed up.

Thank you.

M29

Bloozcat
August 28th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I'm not so sure that the 400-600 volt OD caps actually sound better, but with their thicker wires they might be a little easier to solder...and that's really marginal.

My preference is for the 716P, 200 volt Orange Drop caps for use in Fenders (I like Mallory 150's with humbuckers). The 200 volt cap is not nearly as large as the 600 volt, and so it's much easier to fit in the body cavity. The same is true proportionately with the 400 volt/200 volt comparison. As to the difference in tone? I think we might be splitting hairs here.

duhvoodooman
August 28th, 2007, 07:32 AM
+1 on BC's hairsplitting comment. I find it very dificult to understand how the voltage rating of these caps could have any tonal impact. Even the 100V version is rated incredibly higher than the tiny voltages generated in a guitar. If there is a technical basis for the claim that a 600V version "sounds better", I'd like to read it.

Man, I'd love to see a guitar magazine or other reputable third party put together rigorous double-blind testing for some of these "urban myth" claims about better tone. Maybe some of them would turn out to be true, but I'll bet that 90% of them are pure bunk.

Bloozcat
August 28th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Man, I'd love to see a guitar magazine or other reputable third party put together rigorous double-blind testing for some of these "urban myth" claims about better tone. Maybe some of them would turn out to be true, but I'll bet that 90% of them are pure bunk.

It might turn out something like the VJ pre-amp tube sound files you experimented with a while ago. When you don't actually know what you listening to, it can be really hard to identify them. And in some cases, you find yourself liking something that you "thought" you didn't like.

I always like to refer to it as the cola test. Pour Coke, Pepsi, RC, and a store brand cola into unmarked glasses. Then have a panel of "experts" try each and identify them. It's a hilarious (and sometimes embarrassing) little party game.

Pre-concieved notions can be a powerful thing. The road to enlightenment is through the open mind. And I as much as anyone, still have a long road to travel...:D

M29
August 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Hello,

I feel the same way on this voltage thing but when I read two different sites mention of the higher voltage 400v to 600v making difference and that Gibson and Fender used higher voltage caps I got interested. I spent most of this morning trying to find those sites that talked about this but I will be darned if I can find them. I knew I should have bookmarked them.

I was snoopin around my dads old electrical parts and he has a box full of old caps and resistors, I am going to have a look in there and see what I can find. I know there are old spragues, bumblebees and others in there but I do not know what values he has. Should be fun checkin it out...

Thanks guys.

M29