PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Fighting

Jimi75
August 28th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Hola amigos,

We recently bought a special DVD for a friend's birthday. His wish was a documentary on an extreme fighter called Mark Kerr. The documentaries name was "smashing machine".

With a couple of friends we decided to watch the dvd before giving it to him. I couldn't watch the fighting scenes - this is so disgusting I couldn't belive how people can cross such a barrier and risk their lives in such fights without gloves. Hey, this is not normal.

Besides the fighting scenes they portraied a fragile minded Mark Kerr, who is addicted to pain killer and who almost dies of an onverdose. It's tough to see such a guy cry and being totally helpless.

All in all this is a very good and detailled documentary, if you deduct the fighting scenes.

Has anyone of you seen the documentary?

Hey..... I play my guitar, do not hurt anyone - tha'ts it....

Peace
Jimi

Spudman
August 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I've been around people who watch it regularly and it shows in their lives, and not in a good way. It's too violent.
How about we entertain ourselves with something that makes people feel better and feel better about themselves? Now that is worth putting energy into.

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2007, 02:43 PM
..."people people....why are we fighting"...

love,

Mick Jaggar

WackyT
August 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Pointless violence is not my cup of tea. I do like a good suspense or thriller movie every now and then though.

t_ross33
August 28th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Having trained for many years in my younger days, though in a more "traditional" form of martial arts, I can understand and appreciate why some people choose to challenge and test themselves in "sport combat".

There is an incredible amount of training, focus and discipline required at the elite level. That being said, I don't enjoy/understand the need to beat someone to a pulp for the sake of entertainment, but they are all big boys (and girls) who are over 21 and can make their own decisions.

I would watch "extreme fighting" over WWF style wrestling any day, if only for the technical aspects.

Now take baseball for instance... there's a completely useless spectator sport :D I'd rather watch paint dry.

Trev

LagrangeCalvert
August 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Pointless violence is not my cup of tea. I do like a good suspense or thriller movie every now and then though.

Extreme fighting and MMA (mixed martial arts) are two completely different balls of wax. The fights are LESS dangerous than Boxing....the fighters do not take massive amounts of blows to the head, and its 15:00 min, TOPS...whereas boxing isn't. Some fights are sanctioned by state athletic commissions will be BARE KNUCKLE, but they are highly regulated. Extreme fighting to me (I am agreeing) IS human cockfighting. MMA is the culmination of every cultures fighting styles melding to see who is the best human weapon.

Summation: Watch UFC of Pride fighting....and skip the Cockfights.

This doc. Smashing Machine puts MMA,and Extreme fighting in a horrible light.

t_ross33
August 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Good point LGC. One thing I've noticed is a large degree of homogonization (for lack of a better term) in MMA, which has evolved into a art (again for lack of a better term) of it's own.

In the early days it was very interesting to see practitioners of wide and varied styles hash it out in the ring and test their technique and methods against something totally foreign to them. "Grasshopper, my kung fu is better than your kung fu" kinda stuff.

Since the Royce Gracie dominated the sport in the early years, MMA fighters have discovered the need to be as well rounded as possible in striking and grappeling arts. It's pretty cool to watch if you know what you're looking for.

Do an internet search for "felony fights" if you want to see a bunch of backwoods trailer trash hillbillys cockfight. THAT is pretty aweful and really has no place as entertainment IMHO (and yet I HAD to check it out, eh? sick puppy that I am :rolleyes:)

Trev

LagrangeCalvert
August 29th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Now there is one guy who I think is probably the baddest street fighter in the world.......his name is Kimbo or Kembo. He bare knuckle boxes (no weapons or other body parts) and has some really good stand up skills and footwork. If you search for him you will see what I mean. People pay money to fight him, THOUSANDS of dollars to get knocked out. Now you put him up against a well rounded MMA fighter or someone like Liddel or Rampage Jackson and he would be toast.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/99638/kimbo_fights_again/

and as I say if he fought a mixed martial artist you see what happens.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/388745/kimbo_vs_gannon_fight_kimbo_loses/

this guy he fought cant get pro fights cause he's not that good.

I agree in the early days of MMA it was dangerous but there were still different styles of fighting....there still are. Every fighter and fighting school / Dojo that has MMA combatants has different styles....granted its like having different tools to do the same job....just different ways/techniques to get the job done.....for example, most North American fighters have strong Standup and good shoot defense....this represents Americas heritage in Boxing and Wrestling. If you look at South American fighters, its almost all Kapoera and Jujitsu. European Fighters have a strong standup and some submission training thanks to Abudabi submission wrestling.....same goes with middle eastern fighting styles. The asian style is the most traditional style of MMA....with mainly standup fighting except for the few who have awesome judo Hap ke Do and Karate training. Kempo Boxing is also starting to get into the MMA scene (Liddel is known for his 3/4 overhead punch) and thats a great style for MMA.

My point is fighting is a science....sparring,sword fighting,and wrestling are bred into us....its how we survived and became the top dawg on this rock. I honestly believe we should not abandon this heritage of ours....we are and will always be only 1 shade away from a wild creature. Embracing the beast sometimes is a great thing (anyone who has practiced any type of martial art....or hunted for that matter) to just do. IMHO its comparable to Hunting and fishing. The draw of a bow, or the pull of a fish on the line can really get your heart pumping, just like putting your skills against another human - and that is the ultimate hunt to me.

Thats my two cents.

t_ross33
August 29th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Hee hee. Yeah, I've seen Kimbo. The dude is scary. A good shoot fighter would eat him up if he could get him on the ground, but I haven't seen many with raw stand up skills.

Apparently he has a deal for a sanctioned MMA fight. Should be interesting. Who knew one could become famous (notorious) from the internet :rolleyes: