PDA

View Full Version : My new (to me) Strat.

Jampy
August 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Hello, Been lurking around here for some time and felt it was about time i start posting.

Been playing forever and consider myself a working man player. I had a nice collection of Fenders guitars many years ago but was forced to sell due to some life problems ( I am sure many of you can relate ). So I am now in the position to start collecting all over again and this time I am doing it right, buying with cash..LOL

The first of my Fender Collection is a real nice 1993 USA Fender Strat Plus.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v132/200/6/767999427/n767999427_199262_3885.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v132/200/6/767999427/n767999427_199263_4149.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v132/200/6/767999427/n767999427_199264_4360.jpg

It is 99% original and complete, but alas the Lace pickups were replaced with Texas Special a few years back, the seller has the original pickups installed into another Strat, but we made a deal they are mine the day they are removed.

The guitar will be for playing and has been well played and looked after, your normal wear & tear, Frets are in great shape and it sounds Great through my Crate Blue Voodoo 60..

Never owned a Plus before I have a few questions in regards to the hip-shot, were can I find setup info on it and is there anything I should know when I change the strings ( which will be very soon )

Thanks, hope you enjoy the pictures.

Robert
August 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Nice guitar Jampy, thanks for posting!

Also, a warm welcome to the Fret.Net from a fellow Canadian Resident. :)

Jampy
August 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks, and nice to see another fellow canuck to !!

Going over the Strat threads brought back many painful memories of the sad goodbyes I made to all my collection all those years ago, ah to be young and not so foolish.

I'll be sure to post more as my interest start to take over every aspect of my life....again..

sunvalleylaw
August 28th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Welcome Jampy! That guitar looks really beautiful. I am more or less a beginner, having played regularly for a little over a year. My first electric guitar is a strat like the one you see in my avatar. I like 'em.

helliott
August 28th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Sweeeeet Strat. Know what ya mean about missing old friends. I had a mid-60s that got stolen a few years back. I replaced it with a U.S. Fat Strat with the same hardware you have.
Nothing special about changing strings, except keep a close eye on the ball bearings in the cage on the nut. They can come out apparently, but I've been really careful with mine and it's never happened. It's a very good setup IMHO -- stays in tune when I bash it and doesn't need much of a wrap. Similar tuning system on my PRS and it's nice to wrap less sometimes.
And welcome to this place. Good folks, good vibe, good music. Enjoy.
PS -- Yer just down the QEW from me in Hamilton. Cheers.

Jampy
August 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Sweeeeet Strat. Know what ya mean about missing old friends. I had a mid-60s that got stolen a few years back. I replaced it with a U.S. Fat Strat with the same hardware you have.
Nothing special about changing strings, except keep a close eye on the ball bearings in the cage on the nut. They can come out apparently, but I've been really careful with mine and it's never happened. It's a very good setup IMHO -- stays in tune when I bash it and doesn't need much of a wrap. Similar tuning system on my PRS and it's nice to wrap less sometimes.
And welcome to this place. Good folks, good vibe, good music. Enjoy.
PS -- Yer just down the QEW from me in Hamilton. Cheers.

"Sniff Sniff Sniff" Do I smell a Jam Night ??

helliott
August 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
"Sniff Sniff Sniff" Do I smell a Jam Night ??
Sure! I've got a fair bit of stuff posted on the member clip section. Check it out. Upcoming jam night a definite possibility!

t_ross33
August 28th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Sweet axe Jampy! I lived in Mississauga for pretty much the whole 90's. In-laws and stuff still there. Might have to look ya up next time I'm down! Welcome to theFret :)

Trev

Jampy
August 29th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Very cool to see so many locals or past locals lurking around here, helliot you got a great style, I have been working with a singer "in training" and we are starting to mesh and creat a distict sound for us Latin/Delta rock to try to sum it all up in a few words. But alas it is just me on guitar and him singing so we are looking to add some more body and bodies to our style and original material. We pratice at my place ( Mississauga ) every Tuesday Night from 7-10pm needless to say not really enough time, but we both have many other things to do, life gets in the way far to much as you get older..

If your ever interetsed in jamming let me know, we are just editing our 1st track so it may be ready soon for your enjoyment..

The new strat unloacked so much new and unfound playing style in me, I am shocked..

duhvoodooman
August 29th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Nice Strat! I've had an '89 Strat Plus now for about ten years. I was never a huge fan of the Lace pickups, preferring a more vintage tone, so I switched to CS Texas Specials last year and really like them. The neck is all maple, not with the rosewood fretboard. The roller nut on mine is a bit different, and I think they switched brands of locking tuners between yours & mine as well. I also changed to a black pearloid p/g and black knobs & p'up covers. Is that the original p/g on yours? Mine came with plain white--too plain, I decided! Here's a couple of pix:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/Strat_new_black.jpghttp://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/Strat_new_black_body.jpg

P.S. You can download the original Strat Plus manual, including set-up and string replacement info, from THIS LINK (http://www.fender.com/support/instruments.php).

sunvalleylaw
August 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
DVM, I forgot you had that guitar. It also is a classy looking axe. I love the combination of that PG and Maple fretboard on the black background of the body.

zeusse
August 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Sure! I've got a fair bit of stuff posted on the member clip section. Check it out. Upcoming jam night a definite possibility!Ohhh do tell me when I'm so there....but on the Strat very sweet looking I love the black look with that pickguard cover looks real sharp....I will say depending on what the tone your looking for I have lace sensors in my strat and they have a lot more drive than those Texas Specials especially a red lace sensor the gold lace has a mellower tone....so depending on the desired tone you might just want to keep those in there.

Jampy
August 30th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Nice Strat! I've had an '89 Strat Plus now for about ten years. I was never a huge fan of the Lace pickups, preferring a more vintage tone, so I switched to CS Texas Specials last year and really like them. The neck is all maple, not with the rosewood fretboard. The roller nut on mine is a bit different, and I think they switched brands of locking tuners between yours & mine as well. I also changed to a black pearloid p/g and black knobs & p'up covers. Is that the original p/g on yours? Mine came with plain white--too plain, I decided! Here's a couple of pix:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/Strat_new_black.jpghttp://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/Strat_new_black_body.jpg

P.S. You can download the original Strat Plus manual, including set-up and string replacement info, from THIS LINK (http://www.fender.com/support/instruments.php).

That is a nice geetar you got there, yes the P/G on mine is original. As for the roller nut they went through 3 changes I believe and they stppoed with the LSR roller ( on mine ) the earlier ones had problems with thicker gauged strings I believe. There are some great articles online about the plus and it really is something to hold onto and the value will only go up and it is sure to become very collectable.

Jampy
August 30th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Ohhh do tell me when I'm so there....but on the Strat very sweet looking I love the black look with that pickguard cover looks real sharp....I will say depending on what the tone your looking for I have lace sensors in my strat and they have a lot more drive than those Texas Specials especially a red lace sensor the gold lace has a mellower tone....so depending on the desired tone you might just want to keep those in there.

I like the sound I get from the T/S's I would however like to have a more mellow full bodied sound in at least one postition, mind you it is still new so I am learning everyday whet this geetar can do..

As for a Jam/Practice night.. your welcome to attend..PM me for details.

:DR

duhvoodooman
August 30th, 2007, 08:46 AM
There are some great articles online about the plus and it really is something to hold onto and the value will only go up and it is sure to become very collectable.
Yeah, I've read those same comments on the Strat Plus being a collectable guitar that is almost certain to appreciate substantially in future years. I certainly don't plan to get rid of mine, ever. To paraphrase the NRA, they'll take my Strat Plus from me when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers! I'm hoping my son will be playing mine when I'm gone, but I haven't been successful in getting the guitar bug to bite him yet. Not giving up, though....

Jampy
August 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I am sure it will become more popular as more people start to realize they are spending money on upgrades that once were the norm. I am actually puzzled as to why they are no longer making the plus series, at the time they were considered the best guitars Fender was putting out besides the custom stuff, so why did they drop the line?, I'll venture to say it may have had to do with the fact of using "non" Fender parts and maybe not having full control over cost versus profit, that of course is simply a guess following common business practise.

Needless to say, the people that own them love them, the peolple that sell them regret there choice to do so..