PDA

View Full Version : Squier '51 Vintage Modified - Yeah!

Robert
September 14th, 2005, 08:36 PM
'51 Rules
I am a proud owner of a Squier '51, one of the best deals out there. It is one of my secret weapons. You can hear/see video clips of on my web page for it - www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_51

Excellent guitar for $150 or less!

What mod's have you done to yours? I have a black pickguard now, my friend Tremoloman sent me it. I love the looks of my "blackie"!

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Hey Robert,

Guitar looks much better all black. Now just relic those pickup covers and paste the letters RR on it with mobile home stickers. :D

tremoloman
September 21st, 2005, 12:03 PM
The Squier 51' is the best value in guitars as far as I'm concerned. I bet the price of this model will skyrocket in next year or two. Fender could learn a thing or two from Squier. :)

If Fender or Squier made the Cycleone II with a 25.5" scale, I'd buy one in a second. (I owned one previously but hated the 24" scale).

EscalonJon
September 22nd, 2005, 12:24 AM
I just ordered a '51 from Musician's Friend last night. I received an e-mail ad from them touting $30.00 off Squier. The '51 plus free gig bag and free shipping was $119.99!!! This is a great deal to get in on. I have some plans to modify it some when it arrives. I will update when I'm done with it. :) It seems like it's already a screamer out of the box according to the clips on this site of Robert playing his.

Robert
September 22nd, 2005, 08:15 AM
Hi Jon, welcome to the board! It sure is a great guitar for this price. It's really worth a lot more. I feel bad thinking those Indonesians are working for peanuts so we can enjoy a great guitar for no money. I saw pics of a '51 with an aged neck - it looked really cool. I might try that. Tone2thebone has some interesting coffee mixture ideas he can tell us more about.

Bloozcat
September 22nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Well Robert, for some reason the registration system didn't recognize your name when I used it as a referral. Are you some kind of a nebulous character that we ought to know about? :D

Robert
September 22nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
Well Robert, for some reason the registration system didn't recognize your name when I used it as a referral. Are you some kind of a nebulous character that we ought to know about? :D

Did you use an uppercase R in 'Robert', or did you use just 'robert'? I think it's case sensitive.

Bloozcat
September 22nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Did you use an uppercase R in 'Robert', or did you use just 'robert'? I think it's case sensitive.

Upper case R for Robert. It just wouldn't accept it. Doesn't matter though, I still got registered.

I'm in the middle of amber tinting my '51 neck right now...letting the third coat dry.

EscalonJon
September 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Bloozcat,

Do you use the ReRanch nitro lacquer? I have used it before on a couple of necks and it turns out great. Do you put clear on after the tint? That's how I have done it, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I just ordered a '51 and am excited to get on with a new project. It's been back ordered til Oct 13. I will definitley tint the neck and change the decal. I also plan on putting on Gotoh Kluson style vintage tuners, Callaham bridge saddles, and changing at least the bridge pickup. I am thinking of making a new pickguard and installing a Black Dove (P-90) and setting up the pickguard for an adjustable neck pickup. Maybe someone has a suggestion on what to try for a neck pickup change. (Maybe a WCR, or a Fender Vintage of some type) I also like the Custom Shop 69s. Anyhow, good luck on your '51, Bloozcat!

Bloozcat
September 26th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Bloozcat,

Do you use the ReRanch nitro lacquer? I have used it before on a couple of necks and it turns out great. Do you put clear on after the tint? That's how I have done it, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I just ordered a '51 and am excited to get on with a new project. It's been back ordered til Oct 13. I will definitley tint the neck and change the decal. I also plan on putting on Gotoh Kluson style vintage tuners, Callaham bridge saddles, and changing at least the bridge pickup. I am thinking of making a new pickguard and installing a Black Dove (P-90) and setting up the pickguard for an adjustable neck pickup. Maybe someone has a suggestion on what to try for a neck pickup change. (Maybe a WCR, or a Fender Vintage of some type) I also like the Custom Shop 69s. Anyhow, good luck on your '51, Bloozcat!

Well, I was using the Fender neck amber from Guitar Re-Ranch, and it started going on rather well, when on the third coat it started to spot and run. Not from holding the spay too close, but for some other unknown reason. The finish started getting really runny and it was affecting the previous coats I layed down. Never had this happen before. I was just about out of the tint and I didn't really feel like waiting for a new order to arrive, so I stripped the finish down to bare wood (again) and used the brown shoepolish trick. It worked in that I got a nice uniform tint that highlights the wood grain nicely, but the tint is more at a light brown than an amber. I wanted a glossy '50's look to the neck, so I decided to use a Min-Wax PolyAcrylic gloss spray. On the label it said that some "ambering" may occur when used over certain stains and finishes. I thought I was in luck as that's what I wanted - an amber tint. I should have known that if I wanted an amber tint it would go on clear (Murphy's Law in reverse), and it did. I can't say that I'm unhappy with the way it turned out, only that it isn't the amber tint I was looking for. Oh well, it still looks good and it'll be unique...until someone else does it and gets the same results.

I'm going to go slowly on any other mods. I don't really want to ruin the natural tone of this little guitar. One thing I did find out though for anyone interested, the neck pickup cavity is routed large enough for a std. Strat single coil. All that needs to be done is to drill and countersink two holes in the pickguard for adjustment screws. The gap between the strings and the pickguard may be a little less than a Strat. I'm won't be certain until I re-attach the neck. If so, shorter springs or surgical tubing (depending on preference) may have to be used on the adjustment screws.

EscalonJon
September 26th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I Know what you mean with the ReRanch lacquer, you have to be very patient and carefully sand and give the coats time to "kick" before going on to the next. Another issue is getting "bridging" of the lacquer between the frets and the fingerboard wood, especially with the amber because it is more noticeable than clear. I've done two necks this way and they turned out pretty nicely. On my scratch built esquire, I started to get the build-up that you described and had to do some extra sanding to reverse my mistake. Thanks for the tips on the neck pickup. I haven't received my '51 yet, so I haven't been able to evaluate what I really want to do. If I do go radical on the first one, at the great price I can always get another (and maybe do something with a color change) and leave the pickup arrangement stock. That's the fun with cheap guitars, you can enjoy the experimentation and make something that is unique to your taste and personality. Now I only wish I could make great sounds like Robert does on his '51 in his video clips.

tremoloman
October 4th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I know... just when I think I can play I hear Robert rip me to shreds. :P

Robert
October 4th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I know... just when I think I can play I hear Robert rip me to shreds. :P

.... you guys are too nice! I am glad you like my stuff. I am my own worst critic of course, but I do take compliments well. Encouragement makes me produce more videos and sound clips, etc (quality not guaranteed).

tremoloman
October 5th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I can make a great instructional video on how NOT to play if interested. :) I too am my own worst critic, but I find always being that way just pushes me to become better and better. NEVER settle on anything you do!

Justaguyin_nc
October 12th, 2005, 10:12 AM
New Squier 51 Two Tone Sunburst owner here thanks to Robert also. Money well spent it looks like. Although I do want to replace the white Pickguard, maybe with one of those selling on Ebay.. anyone ever get a Jeannie pickguard off of ebay? example link:http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-51-b-w-b-Guitar-pickguard_W0QQitemZ7347919799QQcategoryZ41424QQssP ageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for a black one..

Some cost half the price of the whole guitar sigh..lol

Justaguyin_nc
October 12th, 2005, 10:32 AM
My 51 neck is also light in color but I am a heavy smoker along with another here in the house..it should tint to a nice brown within weeks.. :)

Robert
October 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Hey, you've got many of the stompers I have! Cool!

Congrats on the '51 - it's a great baby. Tweak and mod it, go nuts, it's so cheap anyway.

Justaguyin_nc
October 13th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Yeah much alike except the playing skills..heh, I am just a home player..
Well, besides the squier... you also influenced the Bad Monkey purchased here recently. I still dunno if I like the older BD-2 better or not... they are both good additions in there own way and I love telling people I been home playing with my monkey all day... Think the Monkey can play a little dirtier.. Only plans on fixing up the 51 is the pickguard I believe... and it will be set (well, for now anyways) next purchase is another amp when I make up my mind on which one. I believe the squier will sound good with any of them...still price wise suprised.

Bigbear
October 13th, 2005, 09:02 AM
i purchased my '51 for $229 CAD + HST.... altogether it is a nice guitar, no tone circuit besides i usually have tone turned on bust.

I just picked up 2 Seymour duncan pro 2 staggered pickups for $100 CAD which is a decent deal, they are hardly used and i'm installing soon, duuno what to do about the pickguard (plastics).. i might make one out of wood (those ones made down in the United states are to expensive to convert to CAD and import)... when i find a Seymour duncan Stagmag for decent price i will place in stead of stock humbucker... trying to make it an even better all around guitar...

Graphteck Saddles

So far thats the mods i am planning, i would like to replace the knobs on the potentiometers but i'm sure you'd have to replace the pots altogether, if any other players notice a bent shaft on your squier ' 51 pot PUSH/PULL please tell me... i think the guitar is great but the only down side i found is the saddles and the push/pull shaft(knob) deal.

EscalonJon
October 16th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I received my '51 on Thursday. I was very pleased to see that it has some pretty nice birdseye action going on on the fretboard. I have already sanded off the decals to ready it for silver spaghetti decals ("Fender" only), and detailed the fretwork. I'm changing the tuners to relic'ed single-line Kluson deluxes. Robert, I ordered a GFS Brooklyn (humbucker-sized P-90) for the bridge and GFS Strat pickup for the neck. I will let you know how they work. www.guitarfetish.com has great prices and I hope their products are good. I will report on that as well. I ordered other parts for the project from them which include tuner conversion bushings, ferrules to convert to string-thru, vintage round string trees, and a strat-style hardtail bridge which will be loaded with Callaham saddles. I hope this will turn out to be a pretty nice axe for under two-hundred U.S. bux. I will report upon completion in about two weeks.

Justaguyin_nc
October 28th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Jeannie's Pickguard's off of e-bay , I will say biting my tongue hard enough to bleed.. is NOT recommended in my experience...

Nice part of Quote:I do not think you will get a fit unless you send your pickguard to who ever you decide to buy from. I don't think you will get a fit anywhere else.
EndQuote:

Im lost obviously.. shouldn't you be able to buy replacement Pickguards that do fit without adjustment?

Warmth from customer service is not present. It was my fault for buying it as far as they are concerned.. or the Koreans for changing the template which Jeannie only has one.. nice emails (sarcasam inserted here) If your looking to replace the Squier 51 pickguard look elsewhere. Oh, if you find a good place to get one please let me know.

UPDATE: In search for yet another place for a pickguard I ran across pickguardian.com which has some nice updates to the guard also. they recently added this UPDATE message:

UPDATE...
Just when you think there is a standard in the world of Fender, they throw you a curve ball! So far we've found at least three different versions of guards being used on this single model. The only way we can guarantee a proper fit is with your original guard or an accurate tracing showing all screw hole locations. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So I assume I was the first one at Jeannie's to throw this loop at them also. Be prepared to send your original any place you get a replacement, to match the fit.

EscalonJon
October 29th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Justaguy...

You might try this. Coat some hardwood toothpicks in white glue. Force as many as you can into the unwanted holes. When the glue dries, cut off the tops of the toothpicks with an exacto blade. You can then re-drill for the correct holes.

This also works great to reinforce or repair strap button holes or when retrofitting to different bridges, pickups, tuners, etc. You wouldn't want to do this to an instrument that you ever wanted to return to its original configuration, though.

Justaguyin_nc
October 30th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the tip EscalonJon, I really liked the guard's look on the Guitar but don't know if I would be able to drill right. Heck, I don't even know if I could figure what size holes to drill. I guess it being UNDER the guard I couldn't mess it up to bad.. hmmm.. I think I may just send my original in to another place and let them make to fit. That pickguardian.com has a nice Tortoise shell and might be better off that way...

Justaguyin_nc
October 31st, 2005, 11:05 AM
I am developing a rattle sound in the bridge on the squier 51... does not really effect the sound and I can fix it quickly but it's just annoying, The saddle screw height adjusments on the low strings are a little smaller then the holes they go in. I tried wax in them but eventually it wears. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know a good replacement?

tremoloman
November 3rd, 2005, 06:03 AM
My Squier 51' suffered from the bridge rattle. I think it is just the nature of the beast since the saddles don't have much tension on them to keep themselves tight. Jazzmasters suffer from the same problem unless you either shim the neck or install a buzz stop (which I have).

You might want to try either the weakest version of loc-tite or try using soem thick grease on the saddle screws. I wound up installing the neck and electronics into a MIM Strat body becuase I missed the tremolo, hence my name. :)

guitartech
November 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone,

I've just registered. Thanks all for so much valuable information about improving Squier 51. And here is my 2 cents worth...

Tremoloman. I've had similar experiences as you did as far as buzzing on the saddles are concerned. As you've mentioned, it is caused by not enough downward forces on the saddle. And it is specially true on low E or possibly A if regular or thicker guage strings are used (thicker than .036). My solution was to drill holes for the thru-body string on my squier 51. I'll post more detailed story on my experience if anyone is interested.

Robert
November 13th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Welcome, guitartech! Make us an introduction in the Fret Players section if you can!

Please, share with us your detailed story about your '51. Mine doesn't buzz too bad, but it sounds like it could happen to me to. :)

guitartech
November 14th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks Robert,

It's good to be here. I got serious with the guitar about a year ago and I'm enjoying every minute of it (playing and modding). Because of my recent entry, I don't quite have too many guitar related gears - just two Squier 51, one MIM strat, and a Roland Microcube (but I do have other musical instrument collections - piano, clarinets and a violin).

Anyway, I love my Squier 51 (after many many adjustments)! I play them more than I play MIM strat. Its neck is so nice and fast! I guess I like them so much since I spent so much time on them fixing the bug and doing the modifications. It was alot of fun! Anyway, I don't have too much time, so I'll post my experiences on Squier 51 next time (on bridges, adding the string ferrules, lowering the action, and the fret sanding/polishing). I just have to remember what I have done...

Robert
December 15th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Well, I just want to mention one thing I did to my '51. I was noticing that the when I picked a little harder with humbucker selected, it sounded harsh and trebly, not very nice tone at all. I lowered it a bit and wow - what a difference. I can now pick and strum as hard as I want, without getting that distorted, "my-guitar-must-be-broken" type of sound. I now use it a lot for clean playing. I can get pretty close to Tele twang with it.

Robert
December 21st, 2005, 11:30 AM
My push/pull volume knob came off yesterday. I need to stick it on there better. I have been having some intontation problems with it lately, and I'll work on this over the holidays. Lastly, I've also noticed it stays in tune worse than my Squier Tele, so maybe it's time to get better tuners and nut.

Not complaining, this is just regular maintenance with a budget guitar. I still love it!

Tone2TheBone
December 21st, 2005, 11:35 AM
Have any of you Squire '51 players had any issues with the bridge? I read somewhere that some people were complaining that there wasn't enough angle on the bridge to keep the strings taut against the saddles?

Spudman
December 22nd, 2005, 02:28 AM
I found a pretty cool photo of a modded 51. Check it out!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/johnnydeformed/Squier%2051/May04182.jpg

tremoloman
December 26th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Welcome guitartech!

Yes, my saddles kept buzzing. Some people recommended using loc-tite, but I opted to swap the neck & electrics to a spare MIM Strat body I had lying around so I could have a tremolo bar. Hey... I gotta live up to my name you know... ;)

I'm really eager to pickup a used 25.5" Jagmaster to mod... if I could only find a cheap one used. All the new models use the 24" scale that I loathe.

Take care y'all!

Matt
January 2nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
hey all, noob to the forums but thought i would post some stuff on the old squier '51.

got it as a birthday present form my dad, and thought it was cool but frustrating with the lack of a tone knob. also, there was a large part of me which thought it was ugly as sin :o and so i favoured playing the Vintage VS6 i got for doing well in exams. but lately ive come to realise that the VS6 is sort of toneless, and not as nice to play. so i've returned to attentions to the '51 and seen it in a new light.

Pros: sounds great! it really does, it has so much more character than the VS6! the neck is also fantastic, and ive never had any of the rough fret problems that seem to mar these excellent guitars. Ive also come to love its unique look.

Cons: As i mentioned, the lack of tone knob can be a little frustrating. there are times where the bridge is just too bright. I know rolling off the volume a bit can solve this a bit, but there are times where i dont want to comprimise the output. also, mine seems to go out of tune quite easily, especially on the b-string, so new tuners are probably in order. Also, there is the odd time where i want a 22nd fret, but bending can solve that :D

I'm thinking about installing a tremelo system onto it (well, get someone to do it for me). anyone else doen this? just want to know of the results.

regards

Matt

Justaguyin_nc
January 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
I am also thinking about swapping out the tuners..Will the Fender Schaller-type fit right in place? would they work fine or opt for the locking tuners while I am at it? As for the bridge.. whats the easiest fix? String thru does not seem like an option for me.. what would be a good replacement that would fall in place without leaving a sign behind?

Justaguyin_nc
February 3rd, 2006, 03:06 AM
the Fender Schaller-type made in USA they sell all over E-Bay is not a replacement for the 51.. got them for a tele... checked it against the 51 seeing it was time to change strings... wow those USA tuners are tight.. the stock ones on my 51 had about shook themselves apart... I tightened them down before putting on the strings.. shook the shafts and they are so loose.. sloppy tuners for sure.. so.. whats the option for the tuners in drop-in swap and replace?

Something else I noticed.. I guess this happens to all guitars... going from 9's to 10's I assume has put more pressure on the bridge.. the rattles are gone.. ofcourse the action got higher with the new strings and adjustments had to be made for that and intonation but that didn't seem to be a problem and low action with no buzz is working fine, since then no rattles (crossing fingers)...

Tightening the tuners have made for longer spells between tuning but not that much longer.. sigh..

marnold
February 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
also, mine seems to go out of tune quite easily, especially on the b-string, so new tuners are probably in order.

Check the nut to make sure that the b string isn't binding up there. That can lead to all kinds of unpleasant tuning problems.

Spudman
February 3rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
I have had my 51 for 4 weeks now. It still has the factory strings on it and guess what? It never goes out of tune. I'm amazed! I guess I got lucky with the tuning issues on this one.

NEWS FLASH! Musicians Friend just sent me a flyer and they have Squier 51's in all colors at $129.99. Order item #519636. They might use a different item number for the flyer so that is why I included it.

I think I'm going to get another. Probably a sunburst.

SS. If you want one and the cost is right for you I can get you an International shipping rate from FedEx to see if it cheaper than getting one over there. I have a FedEx account.

Matt
February 4th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Check the nut to make sure that the b string isn't binding up there. That can lead to all kinds of unpleasant tuning problems.

ok, I'm going to sound very silly here, but what exactly does the nut do? I've never understood! can anyone explain?

regards

Matt

SuperSwede
February 4th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Spud, thanks but I am saving up for a alleykat.

marnold
February 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
ok, I'm going to sound very silly here, but what exactly does the nut do? I've never understood! can anyone explain?
Unless the guitar has a locking nut (like for a Floyd Rose whammy bar), the nut is there to keep the strings in place at the proper height off the fretboard. If you have a Floyd Rose or similar whammy bar, the locking nut holds the strings down tight so they can't go out of tune.

If the slot is not big enough for the string to slide through easily, the string will tend to bind up. In other words, it will get stuck. Then after a bit of playing, the string will work its way through and will then be out of tune. Or, after doing a bend, the string will stick and not go back into tune.

left4dead
February 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I have a '51 in butterscotch that I bought used in like new cond. for $100 just so I could mod the heck out of it. I have already swapped the pickguard - I sent it to jeannie and they custom cut me a brown snakeskin guard! I have a Seymour Duncan JB4 ready to go in the humbucker slot. So I am now thinking about the neck, which could address any nut or tuner issues. The stock neck plays OK. The frets are good sized for bending and no sharp fret ends. The wood is really plain and I am thinking about going rosewood or a nice amber tint maple. Does anybody have experience with putting replacement necks on these? The pocket seems to be 2 3/16 in width. I am thinking Allparts, Mighty Mite or a used neck off a Strat or Tele. Any experience out there you can share?

Guitars: Gibson LP 30th Anniv. Goldtop, SG '61 RI, Carvin CT-66, Gretsch Tenneseean Jr., a Frankenstrat, Tele '52 RI and several others

Amps: Marshall TSL 100, Orange AD 30 + 4X12, Rivera Duo Hundred,
Soldano Astroverb 16, Fender Super Reverb, Vox AC 30 and several others

Effects: Modded Vox wah, Fulltone OCD, Barber Direct Drive, Xotic AC Booster, Boss Trem, Flange, Chorus and Tuner, Robt. Keeley Time Machine Boost and several others

Matt
February 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Well I found this modded '51. It's a strat neck with 22 frets I think. It looks pretty damn sexy if you ask me

[edit] Nope, only 21 frets. But I'm sure you could put a 22 fret neck in it

r_a_smith3530
February 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Well I found this modded '51. It's a strat neck with 22 frets I think. It looks pretty damn sexy if you ask me

[edit] Nope, only 21 frets. But I'm sure you could put a 22 fret neck in it

Hey Matt, how can that be a modded '51? It has a strat body, and the strat was not introduced until 1954!

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0325100503

r_a_smith3530
February 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM

regards

Matt

Matt, not to contradict Marnold here, because he was partly right, but the nut's main purpose is to set the scale length of the instrument in conjunction with the bridge.

Have you ever noticed that strats and teles usually are listed as having a 25.5" scale length, while Les Paul's are listed as having a 24.75" scale length? That number is the distance, in inches, between the guitar's nut and bridge. The same goes for bass guitars, usually found in either 34" or 35" scale lengths, although ocassionally found in short (30") scale as well. Newbie bass players will find the 34" scale length to be much more comfortable than the 35".

The scale length determines the distance between individual frets, so, the distance between the nut and the fifth fret will be greater on a tele or strat than it is on a Les Paul or SG. As the scale length increases, so does string tension as well, so all other things being equal, it's easier to bend note on a guitar with a shorter scale length. With less tension, the string bends easier.

The strings must be able to move over the nut freely without binding. You can tell if your strings are binding when you get that sort of "ping" as you tune up to pitch. That is an indication that the string slots in the nut need to be relieved. This binding can be a real problem on a tremolo-equipped guitar, as the instrument won't return to pitch properly when the wang bar is used. This was one of the reasons behind Floyd Rose's development of his tremolo system. As Marnold pointed out, it "locks" the string in place at the nut, so there is no movement there.

The second purpose for the nut, on both standard and Floyd Rose style guitars (sorry Marnold) is to set the string height in relation to the fretboard. If you look up setup specs for guitars, you will usually see a string height specification at the first fret. This is set through the depth of the slot in the nut. If you go to a lighter set of strings, this spec can change, causing string buzz, because the nut is cut too deeply for the lighter gauge strings. Proper string height has to be maintained, whether using a standard or Floyd Rose locking type nut.

r_a_smith3530
February 14th, 2006, 03:13 PM
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0325100503

Hmm, FMIC is re-writing history I see, through the use of a tele-style neck (the original Broadcaster was introduced about 1950), a strat-style body (the Strat was introduced in '54), a strat-style pickup in the neck, mounted as it would be in the strat's lead position, and a humbucker (first patented by Seth Lover for Gibson in 1955), and finally with a pickguard and control plate sort of reminiscent of the original Precision Bass, introduced in, you guessed it, 1951!

Wow, a six-string guitar named because they used a part copied from a bass. That is COOL!

As they say, everyone follows the bass player! Thanks SuperSwede.

Matt
February 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Cheers Rob, that clears things up. I'm suprised you've never heard of the '51s before, especially here where it seems half the members seem to have one because they are such good guitars for their price- indeed, go to Robert's website. There's loads of videos of him using his through various pedals and amps. Sounds fantastic in all.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_51

regards

Matt

r_a_smith3530
February 14th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah Matt, it sounds like a really cool, inexpensive guitar. I know that they've been mentioned, but I guess that I wasn't into the detail about them before now. I haven't been around here all that long, and my main focus these days is the bass.

I'm going to have a good look at Robert's site. Thanks.

Katastrophe
February 14th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Rob, I'm here to help you!

If you keep typing that your main focus is the bass, your other guitars will get jealous. This jealousy will lead to feelings of abandonment, which could very well lead to all kinds of problems with the guitars, meaning they may not want to respond, sort of like the "cold shoulder" or "silent treatment."

So, as a way to help you out, you could send the G&L and the Les Paul to me. They'll have lots of friends to socialize with, and I live in a rural area with lots of clean air and good country livin'.;)

r_a_smith3530
February 15th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I've got a couple of questions to ask those of you who own a Squier '51.

First, my daughter got a white Squier Affinity Series Strat a couple of years back. She was going to learn guitar (she already plays Clarinet in band). Anyway, once she discovered that learning guitar wasn't something that one does in a weekend (or a month for that matter), it began to collect dust. Being that she's a high honors student, a member of her high school's cheerleader squad, and as mentioned before, a Clarinetist in the school's band, I didn't give her too much grief. One day, I noticed that it had moved - into her brother's room. He too learned that there was no shortcut to the art of guitar. Back to basketball he went. A month or so ago, I come home one day, and there it is sitting, in my three guitar rack, next to my Epi acoustic.

One day, I began playing around with it. I noticed that one of the pots was really loose, and the strings were as dead as a doornail. I picked up a set of .009's. That's what it came with, and if the kids ever decide to pick it up again, I guess it would be easier for them to play these than heavier strings. Anyway, I pulled the strings completely off, removed the pickup plate, tightened up the pots, and gave it a good setup. It plays remarkably better now, but it still sounds quite "tinny" when played unplugged.

I realize that Squier guitars usually have cheaper hardware and are made from much lighter wood than what I'm used to. My Peavey's are of Poplar, my G&L and my Les Paul are made of Mahogany, and my Frankenbass is Ash.

So, my questions are, how is the feel of the '51, does it have that "tinny" kind of sound when played unplugged, and what do you think of the hardware? Also, is there a difference that you can note between Squier's made in China and those made in Indonesia, and if so, which are the best? For the record, my kid's guitar was made in China, bearing a CYxxxxxxxx serial number.

I also wonder about the humbucker that is used in the '51. Is it a standard HB that can be swapped for something like a Duncan JB or DiMarzio Tone Zone, or is it one of those "F" spaced pickups?

BTW, plugged in to my Peavey Classic 50/410, that little Squier Strat sounds OK. It doesn't have the fullness of either my modded out Reactor, or my S-500, but it's no slouch either. It is far better than what I would expect a $150 guitar to sound like.

SuperSwede
February 15th, 2006, 01:45 AM
The affinity instruments are thinner than standard Squier strats & teles. The ยด51 is full size, and at least when I hastily tried one it had a great tone. I think that Squier really produces nice quality instruments these days.

Spudman
February 16th, 2006, 12:26 AM
R.A.

I'd say that the 51 is a real guitar. It's just different than what you may have ever tried before. It is unique and has it's own voice. In my opinion the stock pickups are very good and give it some of that uniqueness that I like. They can be changed out easily enough but then you'd have something different. It plays good but they usually need some work to make them feel better. Not much mind you.

I'm keeping my stock pickups in but may change the pickguard or pickup ring to chrome. I have a blonde. I'd put one of these way above an Affinity. They gots mojo.

Justaguyin_nc
February 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I agree, the Squier_51 I got in sunburst is one nice guitar from the start. The bridge may give a bit of trouble on some from rattling the screws loose but the sound this guitar makes is just plain nice... the humbucker is used with the push/pull and you can get almost strat or almost tele but it is a unique sound that is very pleasant..I would not change the pickups for nothing.. the feel is full size although looking at my MIM 60's strat it looks slightly thinner but not by much... the neck on the other hand is not as wide..forget the nut size but it is smaller then both a MIM 60's strat or a Squier Tele.. Also there seems to be 2-3 different pickguard screw arrangements so I don't know if they keep tweaking it or if they just find a cheaper vendor for each batch... The power plug also gives troubles to most on loosing but I just tightened mine with a little force and it has not had that problem since... I think again Quality control when being made will determine if you like them or not... I love mine... and think at $150.00 it would be a great guitar for beginner or to beat around with and enjoy daily!

r_a_smith3530
February 16th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Cool, I'll have to check this one out!

Robert
February 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM
It's a great guitar for the money. It's the cat's nightgown!

Tim
February 16th, 2006, 01:41 PM
It's a great guitar for the money. It's the cat's nightgown!

Nightgown! That's a good nickname for an all black guitar and pickguard. Blackie and Midnight are too common.

r_a_smith3530
February 16th, 2006, 10:59 PM
This talk about the Squier '51 has given me an idea. How about a "deluxe" version of the '51, built using a Warmoth body (ash or walnut) and neck (flame maple w/rosewood board, or birdseye for maple board lovers), with Grover tuners, and a Schaller roller bridge.

Add your choice of pickups, CTS pots to control them, and a Chandler pickguard to cover it up.

This would be sweet!

r_a_smith3530
February 23rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Hey guys, you've got to check this out. I just received an e-mail message from one of my local guitar shops, and their feature article concerned a guitar very much like the Vintage '51. It appears that ESP has gone and done something similar to what I discussed, namely, building a slightly "upscale" version of the '51. It's called the Hybrid 400 and has a street price of $500.00 according to my local shop.

The Black Cherry is especially nice, although I know some will prefer the black-on-black.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_hybrid.htm

Spudman
February 23rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
RA
Fender has done one too. I've seen a photo of it from the NAMM show. It is a quality version of the 51.
Check it out. http://www.gakkiya.jp/fender_new.html

SuperSwede
February 24th, 2006, 01:55 AM
That fender looks really sweet! I wonder what the price will be on these guitars!

r_a_smith3530
February 24th, 2006, 06:20 AM
RA
Fender has done one too. I've seen a photo of it from the NAMM show. It is a quality version of the 51.
Check it out. http://www.gakkiya.jp/fender_new.html

Spudman, I'll bet that model is not available here, unless you go through someone like GuitarGai of Japan. It's a Fender of Japan model, and not all of those were imported here to the US. But, if it was at NAMM? I checked, and it's not listed at the Fender dot com website. I didn't see one at GC when I was there the other day.

Hmm, this one uses the Tele Thinline pickguard, but not a Tele neck.

I like the look of that ESP better though, and it's available locally.

Justaguyin_nc
February 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Well, I Kinda see how the ESP looks something like the 51 with the control layout but the rosewood Gibson'ish head really throws it off... If your likes is just for a top of the line Single/Humbucker combo the Peavey Cropper Classic been around awhile which has the split coil and all going for it...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=511353

I think the Squier_51 is what it is with a good maple tele neck to boot and at it's price adding the better pots to it with some wire and maybe even string-thru would probably be better then buying any of the above mentioned guitars... ofcourse thats just my opinion..:R :R :R

Justaguyin_nc
February 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
You know something not mentioned and might add to the sound of the 51.. the neck pickup... it actually sits back farther then a strats or tele's and has the angle of a bridge pickup on a strat or tele....

Matt
February 26th, 2006, 03:39 PM
You know something not mentioned and might add to the sound of the 51.. the neck pickup... it actually sits back farther then a strats or tele's and has the angle of a bridge pickup on a strat or tele....

Thats always somehting thats mysitified me- why do they angle the neck p/up? merely to get best output or what?

regards

Matt

Bloozcat
March 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I haven't checked in for a while and I've noticed some discussion about the '51's less than perfect bridge (to say the least). I recently installed this bridge from Guitar Fetish and I can honestly sat that it is a great improvement over stock, and it's so cheap, it's sick.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-50206111187217_1888_12094887

Cost: $11.95 plus $5.00 shipping.

Here's a review of the bridge that I did for another site:

Well, yesterday was the day to install the new GFS bridge on my '51 and here's my initial impressions:

Ease of installation: Installation didn't pose any difficulties worth noting, really. Most of the holes didn't line up as noted by others, but with the old toothpick trick it was easy to guide the screws into new holes. The back middle screw hole can be made by simply starting a hole with an awl and allowing the screw to cut it's own threads. Basswood is like that...

String set-up: Stringing the guitar is so much easier with this bridge than with the stock one. The downward angle of the string path as it passes over the bridge saddle to the string end retaining hole in the back of the bridge is noticably better than with the stock bridge. The saddles themselves are very easy to adjust. With the two E string saddles having guide slots beneath the height adjustment screws on the bridge plate, there is no side-to-side movement of the saddles when playing...particularly when bending strings (* in all fairness, the stock bridge also has this feature*). Setting string height was a snap. When I got the strings to the desired 1/16" action, the adjustment screws protruded only slightly from the saddles causing no inconvenience or discomfort when resting the heal of the hand on the bridge.

Intonation: Setting intonation was very easily accomplished, with plenty of necessary travel in the saddle/screw adjustment.

Tone & sustain: This is the area where I was most pleasantly suprised. After reading the comments of others, I expected that I would lose the "plinky" sound, and the "buzz" that the stock bridge exhibited. What I was pleasantly suprised to find was that the bridge really enhanced the tonal qualities of the guitar as well. Open and fretted notes now ring clearer, with more chime and balance. For the first time I can now hear the wood's resonance in the notes and chords. Sustain is enhanced in that without the plink and buzz, the notes are free to decay more naturally. Since the strings that I replaced were less than two weeks old, I've discounted that effect on my evaluation as well. It's really the bridge!

Conclusion: This is the best $12.00 you can spend on a Squire '51. Even if you do no other mods, this one alone will make the '51 a better sounding and playing instrument.

Robert
March 6th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks man, that is great info! Does it really make the guitar sound a lot better?

r_a_smith3530
March 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Yeah, Justaguy, that has me scratchin' my head too! It's in a kind of middle position. Maybe that's a "sweet spot" for tone!

BTW, another possible choice for a bridge, even more solid than the Guitar Fetish piece, would be either of these ones from Stew-Mac.

Schaller roller bridge (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Schaller_Non-tremolo_Roller_Bridges.html)

Hipshot bridge (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Hipshot_Hardtail_Bridge.html)

Spudman
March 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I think Guitar Fetish also has a replacement that strings through the body. Set it - drill - place ferrules - play.

Bloozcat
March 6th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I think Guitar Fetish also has a replacement that strings through the body. Set it - drill - place ferrules - play.

I was all set to install a string through bridge until I spoke with someone who has a few '51's that he's modded. He did the string through on a couple of them, and recently did one with this GFS bridge. He said that there was negligible difference in performance and tone to the extent that he would not do another string through. He'll only do top loaders from now on, and he said that for the money vs. performance, the GFS is too good a deal not to use it. After installing mine, I concur.

Installing a string through bridge is certainly not rocket science, but you do have to be careful how you go about doing it...that is if you want the holes for your string ferrules to line up properly. A drill press is a must for starters. Then using the bridge plate as a guide, you need to drill your two outside holes from the top of the guitar through the body. Flipping the body over, you then have to use the bridge plate as a guide and mark the remaining four holes in line. Then drill out each hole to the size neecessary for the string ferrules. After this is done, you flip the guitar back over (topside), and using the bridge plate again as your guide mark the spots for the other four holes and on the drill press, carefully drill them through to the string ferrule holes on the bottom side. When you're finished, all of your string ferrules on the back side of the guitar should be perfectly aligned, and all your string holes on top should be exactly where the holes in the bridge plate are when the plate is screwed into place. It's advisable to use masking tape on all surfaces that you plan to drill through to avoid chipping, and if you have a Forstner drill bit set use it...they make cleaner holes.

Robert, the bridge does make a difference in tone, mostly because it allows the guitars natural tone to come through. The stock bridge with it's buzzing and loose plinking sounds dampens the natural resonance of the guitar. The bridge doesn't add anything that isn't already in the guitar, it just lets that which is there come through unimpeded.

r_a_smith3530
March 6th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Some tonewoods lend themselves better to string-through than others. I guess that the Basswood of the Squier '51 doesn't. Make sure that, whatever bridge you use, it is securely attached to the body. That will make or break your instrument's sustain!

Spudman
March 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the bridge tips Blooz.

I'm not sure that I can relate to all the problems people are talking about their bridges. I have no problem with mine. The holes are at the bottom of the the back bridge plate and there is plenty of angle over the saddles. The guitar never goes out of tune or buzzes. Maybe I have a different version of the bridge where this problem got addressed? Who knows. It's a cool little axe for sure though.