PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Bandit 112

TS808
August 29th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I was looking for an amp for home to just noodle around with. Something inexpensive that had a pretty good tone. I already have two Valvetronix amps but kept hearing about the Transtube Bandits. I found one on ebay at a great price (new) and thought why not?

My initial reaction after playing this for an hour. Wow!!

First, for a solid state 1 x 12, the cabinet is BIG, and the amp is LOUD even at the 25% power level. Also, for a 1 x 12 solid state, this is definitely the warmest solid state I've heard yet.

The Bandit 112 has 3 settings on the dirty channel...Vintage, Modern and High Gain and I have to say that the Vintage setting seems the best for me on both the clean and dirty channels. The clean channel actually has vintage, classic, and warm settings.

The reverb is very lush and even at "1" it really can be heard. The Vintage distrortion is pretty much like an overdriven Bassman sound, but the Modern and High Gain is a little too "fizzy", brittle, and hard to control for me. It might be good for heavier rock playing and humbuckers, but I play blues and mainly use strats. This amp does respond pretty well to pick attack too for a solid state and cleans up well with lowering your volume knob.

I'd recommend this amp if you're looking for a budget-priced amp that DOES give you a tube-like tone. I'd compare it to a modeling amp in that it has a good "tube like" tone, but just doesn't get the same dynamics as tubes. I think this would be a great amp for blues and classic rock. The amp sounded great too with a TS-9 Tubescreamer and a Boss OD-3 in front. I'm going to try it with a BBE Sonic Stomp in the effects loop too to see what that does to the dynamics of the amp.

With the larger cabinet (24" W x 21" H x 11" D) this really projects. I remember the old Bandits from the 80's and they sounded alot thinner than this amp.

My only gripe is the amp doesn't come with a footswitch!!

SuperSwede
August 30th, 2007, 12:13 AM
TS808, is your bandit one of the newer models (chrome knobs) ? I´ve heard a lot of good things about the latest model, but I havent had the chance of trying one myself.

TS808
August 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM
TS808, is your bandit one of the newer models (chrome knobs) ? I´ve heard a lot of good things about the latest model, but I havent had the chance of trying one myself.

Yes, it's the one with the chrome knobs and the silver panels on the front like the old ones used to have. I was really surprised how big the cabinet was on the amp. It's almost as big as my Vox AD50VT 2 x 12.

Tone2TheBone
August 30th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I remember the old Bandits with the gray knobs. Back then Peaveys sucked...especially that heavy arsed Peavey Renown! Today I own a fantastic Classic 30 and my faith's been restored in their products. Nice score dude glad you like it that's all that matters.

Robert
August 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yep, the old Bandits were terrible. Haven't tried the new ones.

SuperSwede
August 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Well, most of their transtube amps sounds pretty good. I dont fear solid state amps, but some of the "I wanna be a tube amp" can sound pretty bad. But from what I hear, this one doesnt fit in that category.

Clips please! :)

TS808
August 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Well, most of their transtube amps sounds pretty good. I dont fear solid state amps, but some of the "I wanna be a tube amp" can sound pretty bad. But from what I hear, this one doesnt fit in that category.

Clips please! :)

I agree. I'm really surprised with this as I usually associate solid state amps with that raspy, paper-thin sounding distortion. This amp has some really nice compression and doesn't sound like a typical solid-state. Peavey is making great amps these days. The only other solid state amp that I would say equals or exceeds the sound of the Peavey Transtubes is the Roland Blues Cube, which they quit making and replaced with the newer Cubes.

This was definitely an impulse buy on my part as I kept hearing about how cool these amps were, and also the price was really low on it.

SuperSwede
August 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I agree. I'm really surprised with this as I usually associate solid state amps with that raspy, paper-thin sounding distortion. This amp has some really nice compression and doesn't sound like a typical solid-state. Peavey is making great amps these days. The only other solid state amp that I would say equals or exceeds the sound of the Peavey Transtubes is the Roland Blues Cube, which they quit making and replaced with the newer Cubes.

This was definitely an impulse buy on my part as I kept hearing about how cool these amps were, and also the price was really low on it.

Yeah, the Blues Cube was something special... I havent seen many of them floating around in the used market though...

Robert
August 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM
The Cube 60 sounds great too.