PDA

View Full Version : Is this rude (dealing with a booking agent)

LagrangeCalvert
August 31st, 2007, 04:02 AM
We contacted a booking agent through a local newspaper here in Cincinnati Ohio, because were ready to play out of town gigs.

This agent/Middle man is promising a lot of things and I find it hard to believe. Heres the list of e-mails we have sent/received....I want opinions! Were playing out 2 nights a week now, AND getting ready to play OTR (on the road) gigs as well....so its important we deal with a professional, as this is soon to be our day jobs as well.....tell us what you think.

Answering his add in the paper for "Bands wanted to fill genera specific venues. Backline provided, as well as travel expenses, and hotel/meals" WE WROTE THIS via E-mail (our bands name is "Second Chance At Eden")

S.C.@.E. wrote -

Sound interesting. Of course we need more info. Please include a number or website that we could check. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
-Dan Snow
~Second Chance at Eden~

We received a message back from (to protect his character no name will be given) Promoter X:

Thanks. If you are sincerely interested can you get a promo package to LA and to Chicago in the next week? If so let me know. In brief, I get a 10% fee and only when you get paid... 50% up front to you plus the expense money, all expenses, plane and hotel paid. Also back line equipment is provided Free and any and all PA needs are too. In other words, you bring yourself and your main instruments, but 95% of all the other equipment can be provided.

All of these items, everything, is in writing always and needs to be agreed to by you every step of the way... In terms of phone calls talking about talking, I am not about that, I am a one man show here (not a major Corporation and not pretending to be) with only an assistant full time and sometimes her friend part time, and phones and a desk, hard work, very old school. "Hello how are you" 20-45 minute phone calls, just to say "Hi", I have no time for. Sorry (not being rude but would never get anything done here)... However, lets get some dates and an offer (s) in writing and we can chat for an hour at a time. I ONLY have time for deals/dates in the works, and expected to close.

The dates available in all cases are numerous and in various venues all around, so don't ask me for specifics until you get specifics in writing from a venue or an event... flexibility of schedules are maximized and options open ended. All different types of venues, events and pay scales... But you always have 100% control and can pick and choose what it is you want or can do or accept to do.

If interested... Let me know,

We, responded with.

I just want to let you know that we have a little more than an hour of all original music. Also, please forgive me for thinking that this all sounds too good to be true being that you have not heard our music. Just seems a little odd to me in this business. Also, what type of venue's do you have set up? Again, let me say that we are extremely interested in this, but we need more details before we can talk on a more serious level. I hope you can understand that. Please feel free to ask of us any questions that you may have. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks,
Dan Snow
~Second Chance at Eden~

He wrote back,

Dan a basic photo and music sample.
Please let me know about this:

Like you, I would like to only do things that can actually make money and get exposure for everyone.

Have two locations for you to send package to. That being said, have another additional opportunity in New York, that you can choose to do or not, and either way have the other two ops.

The other New York op requires that you send with your package a postage stamp so they can send information back to you. It's the only way they will do business. It's a new festival. The postage stamp needed is an Express Mail Stamp and you have to get it directly from a US post office service counter. The stamp costs $16.25, and it allows the organizers of the festival to send to you an overnight package that they can track to make sure you got it. You would send this along with your promo package to them.

This is optional, but I am telling you about it because the festival they are putting together is all expense paid (hotel, plane and daily food money),is an ongoing thing over several weekends at NYC clubs (so very flex to all schedules) and pays only about $850 per gig, with 3 gigs in a weekend.

If you want that information let me know. I know the $16.25 stamp needed is a bit much, but maybe a small price to pay for you to get involved in this, there are no other expenses or costs, and it's not sending any money, it's just a postage stamp, and them being cheap and wanting to cut down on hard cost expenses, because they are a new thing.

So let me know. Because this is an important opportunity.

We wrote back:

This sound fantastic. I think we could get the ball rolling here. We have a cd that we recorded about 2 1/2 months ago without vocals so that everyone could get an idea of what we sound like. We did not have a singer at that time, now we do. My question to you is, how professional of a sample do you/they need? I can forward you a few things if you'd like and see what you think based on what you've heard and seen in the past. Maybe we could also schedule a time to meet and discuss these events. Let me know what you think would be best.
Thanks,
Dan Snow
~Second Chance at Eden~

Promoter X wrote:

Dan, sounds good, regarding NY this is important if you are interested, This week, or asap, 2 copies of photo, if you don't have a pro shot this is ok (a good snapshot is OK), and two copies of demo. Mail to: XXXXX, XXX XXXX XXXXXX, XXXXXXXX, XXXXX. Along with the loose Express mail Postage Stamp as indicated (get at the post office only don't send $ please, no postage meter... NO computer print out or kiosk stamps, only the postage stamp costs $16.25). Then we can get right on this. keep me posted. Kind Regards

Were a bit skeptical at this point.....so we wrote this to him:

Hello again,

This is Joshua Donaldson of second Chance at Eden. I was informing you that we should have the press pack mailed to you by this Saturday. It will include (as asked) two CD's of sample music, two pictures, AND a band BIO.

As a further note

We would like to know a few more things about you and your company/organization: Your full name, official position, a few artists you have worked with in the past, and any other credentials you have. This is in no way a matter of distrust from us, we just want to flesh out details about you and your business. If we are a in a genera of music that you can promote to these venues we would like to run through the contracts and hash out all the details and solidify them when we cross that bridge. We appreciate the time and effort so far and really look forward to working with you.

Have a wonderful day,

Josh ~S.C.@.E.~

He then write this smarmy response back:

There is nothing to "know" about my "company". I am not a website, or sales campaign. I am not a company, and I don't collect money from venues or events on your behalf ever. You do so directly and then pay me 10%. Any offer is in writing for you to go over and determine if appropriate for you. I can be of assistance at that stage for sure... I am solo here for 10 years, me and one assistant, sometimes two. If interested please proceed. Kind regards

SO I kinda lost my cool with this "promoter":

Dear XXXX,

We wanted to check your credentials by getting a last name of yours, some artists you have worked with in the past so we can contact them to see how things went with the gigs you worked out for them, and overall doing some research on how YOU operate. Since you have been in the "business" ten years you can understand us wanting to get a "press pack" from you. As much as were auditioning for gigs and your services, you are also. This is not intended to sound rude, but dodging questions from a possible client, as you could assume is not a good way to conduct business. WE ARE INTERESTED, trust us. But before we can move any further, we need details on your "operation". If for any reason you need to get in IMMEDIATE contact with Second Chance At Eden, you can do so by contacting our bassist by phone (513) 257-4393, OR our guitarist at (513) 288-5552. We are based out of the greater Cincinnati Area, and will answer ANY questions you would like of us. The promo pack will be sent to New York Friday Evening - Saturday morning overnight. Even if we miss the deadline for this event, please let us know if there are any other shows you could use us in once our minor misunderstanding is squared away.

Thank you for you time and efforts thus far,

~Joshua Donaldson~ S.C.A.E.

What are your thoughts people.

Ro3b
August 31st, 2007, 07:08 AM
He's even being evasive about telling you his full name? Shady, shady, shady. He wouldn't happen to be based in Nigeria, would he?

Spudman
August 31st, 2007, 07:43 AM
The years I spent on the road worked like this: Send agent promo pack and music, meet them sign contract, call weekly or less to get upcoming weeks or months schedule, contracts come in the mail for the venues. Agent fee was 15%.

If he's offering you a 10% rate find out why. Are the gigs only one nighters backing up another band? Also, nobody pays a band 50% upfront unless you are a signed act with great representation.

If he can't furnish references or credentials then skip him. Any promoter worth their salt is going to be proud of what they do and will have made hopefully many good relationships with artists. If he can't give evidence that he's legit then he might not be and I would advise you to look elsewhere.

LagrangeCalvert
August 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM
The years I spent on the road worked like this: Send agent promo pack and music, meet them sign contract, call weekly or less to get upcoming weeks or months schedule, contracts come in the mail for the venues. Agent fee was 15%.

If he's offering you a 10% rate find out why. Are the gigs only one nighters backing up another band? Also, nobody pays a band 50% upfront unless you are a signed act with great representation.

If he can't furnish references or credentials then skip him. Any promoter worth their salt is going to be proud of what they do and will have made hopefully many good relationships with artists. If he can't give evidence that he's legit then he might not be and I would advise you to look elsewhere.

Thank you......

Depending on what he replies with it will be our last e-mail with him. We can get out of town gigs with another agent, it just makes me mad that he thinks I was born last night. This isn't my first rodeo either if you know what I mean. :DR

So either way it goes, I'm going to find out what is going on THEN tell him no thanks. If you cant shoot it straight it with me, then don't waste our bands time also.

Spudman
August 31st, 2007, 02:41 PM
I forgot to mention that it sucks being stranded by shady dealings 1000 miles from home. Don't ask how I know.

LagrangeCalvert
September 1st, 2007, 02:17 AM
I forgot to mention that it sucks being stranded by shady dealings 1000 miles from home. Don't ask how I know.

WORD!......

We arent going to use him....cause he hasn't responded to the e-mail I sent last, calling his bluff.

Mark
September 1st, 2007, 09:15 AM

Or even 3000 miles Im sure you know how I know.....

Spudman
September 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM
Or even 3000 miles Im sure you know how I know.....

I think I can guess, but the good thing about that distance is that you can start a new life with a new name and never bump into your past.:cool:

pie_man_25
September 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think I can guess, but the good thing about that distance is that you can start a new life with a new name and never bump into your past.:cool:

unless of course your past moves at a speed of 3000 miles per hour,

but seriously, I agree with these guys, you need to know this guy and see that he really isn't just messing with you, I've never worked with any booking agents before but I do think that its important to know who you're talking to.

Katastrophe
September 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
You're doing the right thing, which is trusting your instincts. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

When dealing with the business side of music, always get your agreed on terms in writing. Before signing anything, have a lawyer look it over. Some will do this for a small fee. Always cover how the parties are going to terminate the business relationship if it goes south. Always ask around for references on the guy or girl who's going to represent you. Dig a little, and you'd be amazed what you can find out.

Be cautious, and careful, and protect yourself legally.

250Keith
September 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM

Ha! you got that right, But! oh well, Hay dont I know you! or Hay hows your sister! Busted.