PDA

View Full Version : Good Cheap Guitars

Jampy
August 31st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Well after buying a 1993 USA Strat Plus, I am kinda tapped for cash to purchase anymore of that level, but tell me from you have seen out in the market today, what are some great deals on entry-mid level guitars that actually play well. Please let me know as I can afford a few bucks heer and ther to get some new gear. If you know of places in Canada that would be great !!

Please provide links/pictures if possible along with your views on the subject.

Thanks

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2007, 10:17 AM
For a mid level strat, I like this: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1707

More reviews and a pic:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN146002

Jampy
August 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM
Looks very nice, I am sure your enjoying it. But I maybe was not 100% clear I am not look for Fender products, I love those wiered little brand names that actually make good guitars for the rest of us..

Robert
August 31st, 2007, 10:53 AM
SX, Fullerton, Squier, Xaviere, Agile, etc. Lots of decent cheap guitars out there!

marnold
August 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM
I think MF still has some of the Floyd Rose Discovery series left. $149 with a genuine Floyd!

duhvoodooman
August 31st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Man, you should have been around here back in April when Music123 was closing out the Fullerton electrics for $30 apiece! You can read the saga HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957), if you're interested. A bunch of us here bought them--some of us, more than one! I bought the "Fat Strat" ST4 model and upgraded the pickups and some of the hardware, and still got away for under $100!

You should definitely check out Rondo Music (http://www.rondomusic.net/index.html) for a large assortment of inexpensive Korean and Chinese made "clones". The Agile brand, in particular, is known for being high in quality. Check out their AL-3000 "Prestige" Les Paul knockoffs--beautiful guitars for under $400....

And let's not forget Epiphone! I have three of 'em, and love 'em all.

kerc
August 31st, 2007, 12:57 PM
I bought a SX Tele and I'm pretty happy with it. :D

Jampy
August 31st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Man, you should have been around here back in April when Music123 was closing out the Fullerton electrics for $30 apiece! You can read the saga HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2957), if you're interested. A bunch of us here bought them--some of us, more than one! I bought the "Fat Strat" ST4 model and upgraded the pickups and some of the hardware, and still got away for under $100!

You should definitely check out Rondo Music (http://www.rondomusic.net/index.html) for a large assortment of inexpensive Korean and Chinese made "clones". The Agile brand, in particular, is known for being high in quality. Check out their AL-3000 "Prestige" Les Paul knockoffs--beautiful guitars for under $400....

Wow, those are some very nice guitars, thanks for the link..

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2007, 01:10 PM

Oh, sorry Jampy, didn't know you meant no Fenders. I was one who purchased a ST4 for myself and a ST3 starter kit with amp, etc. for my son. I agree with what DVM says. I am personally looking to add a LP type guitar someday and continue to look at the Agiles, the Epis, and the Samicks in that arena.

Jampy
August 31st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Oh, sorry Jampy, didn't know you meant no Fenders. I was one who purchased a ST4 for myself and a ST3 starter kit with amp, etc. for my son. I agree with what DVM says. I am personally looking to add a LP type guitar someday and continue to look at the Agiles, the Epis, and the Samicks in that arena.

Fender style is ok, just nothing made by Fender, this is just for interest and I make no claims that any one brand of guitar is any better than another, just to be clear..all you squire boys take it easy :p

elavd
August 31st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Squier Affinity Series ;)

duhvoodooman
August 31st, 2007, 01:31 PM
I am personally looking to add a LP type guitar someday and continue to look at the Agiles, the Epis, and the Samicks in that arena.
THIS (http://www.rondomusic.net/al3100wilkcsb.html) is such a cool guitar! If I needed another LP (and I don't!), I'd jump all over it.

t_ross33
August 31st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Guitar Player reviewed a number of guitars under $500 in a recent article. Covered the spectrum from A&L to Yamaha.

Might want to check out Peavey's new EX series. I had an older EXP that I really liked (but just had to have a Tele, so out she went :p ) and from the reviews I've read, the new line is an improvement.

If you're looking for quirky, Eastwood guitars would be worth a look, though they aren't cheap per se.

Spudman
August 31st, 2007, 02:39 PM
THIS (http://www.rondomusic.net/al3100wilkcsb.html) is such a cool guitar! If I needed another LP (and I don't!), I'd jump all over it.

You do have good taste.:)

Jampy
September 1st, 2007, 07:35 AM
Well after starting this post, i started looking through the local online classifieds in search of good deals. I should have used the term inexpensive instead of cheap because I was mainly refering to price no the actual quakity of the guitar. Anyhoo, as I was searching a stumbled across a MINT 2002 Gretsch "Historical Series" G3100 with hardshell case after writing the guy to see if he still had it I noticed he had placed anoth ad for a Godin LG hmb Series guitar with hardshell case, so I wrote him on that to see if he would cut a deal on both. After a few hours he called me to say that the only way he would cut a deal is if I bough his amp as well, it turned out to be a really nice little Fender 15R, which is actually something I can use. SO we started to talk price he wanted 400 each for the guitars and 100 for the amp I got him down to $740 CDN for the entire package and we agreed to meet later in the day, after getting yelled at for 30 minutes from the GF..LOL we headed out to meet him, now remember I have never seen nor held these guitars so I was buying on faith alone, turns out I did well. The guitars are in amzing condition I was surprized to find out he played with a pick for I could not see a single blemish on either, beside the strings being tarnished and the fret boards being a little dry they were the best condition I have ever seen 5 year old guitars. As a added bones the amp was still in the original box !?! I tested them to make sure no buzzing frets or warped necks and they were both rock solid, gave him my money and was on my way. I am so happy with my purchase I bought two amzing guitars for less than the price of a NEW mid level guitar.

I'll be sure to post some pics so you all can drool over them like I did. and I'll post specs ASAP..

:DR

t_ross33
September 1st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Good score! GF's are highly overrated anyway - lot's of fish in the sea, and all that :p A deal like this doesn't pass by that often ;)

duhvoodooman
September 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
I respectfully submit the name of Jampy for serious consideration for the Spudman Over-the-Top FretNet GAS Attack award. I mean, consider the incredible accomplishments on display here:

A Fretter only since Aug. 27--a mere 5 days. You might think that's not long enough for FretNet-induced GAS to kick in. Au contraire, mon ami!
Posted a request for recommendations on "cheap" guitars just before noon yesterday. Most of us probably thought that a purchase was at least a week or two away....
Within a couple of hours, give or take, had purchased TWO guitars and an amplifier!! Spent over $700 CDN in doing so. While that is not a huge investment--especially considering that it works out to roughly $63.50 US--it is still a prodigious rate of spending!! If he can keep it up, he is on pace for music equipment expenditures exceeding the GNP of Uruguay by early March 2008.
All this, and he's got his girlfriend all over his *** for doing it!!

All I can say is.....WAY TO GO!! You're an inspiration to us all, Jamster!!

Jampy
September 1st, 2007, 02:13 PM
Thank you, Thank you...where's my prize..

duhvoodooman
September 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM
Thank you, Thank you...where's my prize..
Geez, ya got two new guitars & an amp, and you're looking for a PRIZE, too?? :eek: ;)

Katastrophe
September 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Yep, he's gonna fit in just fine. ;) :D

Spudman
September 1st, 2007, 04:25 PM
I respectfully submit the name of Jampy for serious consideration for the Spudman Over-the-Top FretNet GAS Attack award. I mean, consider the incredible accomplishments on display here.

Don't worry. I'm still keeping up. I'm just quiet about my addiction.

Anyway, great score Jampy. Is that a Fender Frontman 15 reverb amph? If so then you got another great score just on that amph alone. When you get the opportunity plug it into a 4x12 cabinet. When I did it sounded better than the Mesa Boogie I was also checking out. Great little amph.

Justaguyin_nc
September 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Don't worry. I'm still keeping up. I'm just quiet about my addiction.

Like the silence about all those OLP's ya bought? ;)

sigh...I need to start buying something again.. I did get a bunch of stuff to update my Squier 51.. does that count? under $100.00 US..over $1000.00 CDN..

Jampy
September 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Ok no prize, how about donations..:rolleyes:

Spudman
September 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
Like the silence about all those OLP's ya bought? ;)

Wha...how...how did you know?

Jampy
September 2nd, 2007, 05:44 AM
haha looks like we are all a little guilty

Justaguyin_nc
September 4th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Wha...how...how did you know?
Sneaky aint I? :) When are we gong to get some reviews on those models spud? I still haven't changed those darn pickups on the John pertucci..but I will someday..Once the stock ones wear in...

Spudman
September 4th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Sneaky aint I? :) When are we gong to get some reviews on those models spud? I still haven't changed those darn pickups on the John pertucci..but I will someday..Once the stock ones wear in...

Yes you is.
I'll try to get one out about the Luke model soon since it is the one that I've been playing the most.

Adrian30
September 27th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Yes you is.
I'll try to get one out about the Luke model soon since it is the one that I've been playing the most.

I was going to sugest just that, Spud. I'm a sucker for Luke model and plus it sound so good in your clips...:)

pie_man_25
September 28th, 2007, 08:31 AM
for cheap models, I like Agile and SX, they give you a much better guitar then squier or epiphone (not to say that they don't make satisfactory guitars)
at a much better price

stingx
September 28th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cheap guitars make the Baby Jesus cry...

SuperSwede
September 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Yes you is.

I´m really curious about the MM1 model. How do you like it so far?

Spudman
September 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I´m really curious about the MM1 model. How do you like it so far?

I put 10's on it but I think 9's would be better. The pickups are clean and humbucking not very hot and are direct mount. It's well built and the finish is nice.

I haven't spent much time dialing it in yet. Give me more time and I'll get you a report. The Luke is a keeper though for sure.

SuperSwede
September 28th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I put 10's on it but I think 9's would be better. The pickups are clean and humbucking not very hot and are direct mount. It's well built and the finish is nice.

I haven't spent much time dialing it in yet. Give me more time and I'll get you a report. The Luke is a keeper though for sure.

Thanks buddy...
The trem looks pretty solid... If it can handle some dive bombing without getting too much out of tune I might be interested in getting one myself... I dont have a regular trem guitar, and sometimes the floyd is too much.
IF you have some extra spare time perhaps you could check if the pickups comes with a 4-lead cable.

Chito
October 31st, 2007, 10:10 AM
Try the PRS SEs. Great quality for the money!

duhvoodooman
October 31st, 2007, 10:26 AM
Try the PRS SEs. Great quality for the money!
Yes, I read rave reviews of the PRS SE series guitars again and again. They're a little more expensive than most of what we've been kicking around in this thread--about $500 seems typical for most of these models--but they appear to be amazing guitars for that amount of money. And I see used ones on eBay quite often in the $300 - $400 range.....

BTW, Chito--please stop over at our Fret Players forum (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)and introduce yourself!

Radioboy950
October 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM
If somebody hasn't already mentioned Schecter...
Tremendous value here. They make great inexpensive guitars. I tried this one out at the Guitar Center, and went home with it. Good bang-for-the-$$
Looks killer & plays great.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-GRYPHON-Limited-Edition-Flametop?sku=518483

bigoldron
November 20th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Have you looked at Washburn's? There are several members of the Washburn forum here who can vouch for their quality. If you're looking for a traditional humbucker/LPaul style, look at the Idol series. If you want more of a Strat style, look at the X33 or N series. The X50 is also nice.

Good luck!

Ro3b
November 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
I've been remiss in not mentioning my #1, the $179 Xaviere XV600. It makes a mighty noise.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/27047457e455e6b5.jpg

just strum
November 22nd, 2007, 07:43 AM
Have you looked at Washburn's? There are several members of the Washburn forum here who can vouch for their quality. If you're looking for a traditional humbucker/LPaul style, look at the Idol series. If you want more of a Strat style, look at the X33 or N series. The X50 is also nice.

Good luck!

Another LP option is the Ibanez ARC100 or ARC300. The only difference in the two are color and inlay - oh, and price. The 100 is $300 and the 300 is $400. However, I got mine (ARC300) from Sweetwater for $356. I like the sound, the quality and weight. I am not one to provide the technical detail of the guitar, if I had that technical knowledge I would post a review. If Wingsdad comes along and is interested in taking the time, perhaps he will post a review in the other section.

Bottom line for me is I love the sound, it's extremely easy to play and it's light. I almost went with a Washburn from the Idol series, but I got a better deal on the Ibanez. Also looked at Agile. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of them, it's just after a lot of reading and talking to people that own the selection, I went with the ARC300.

Brian Krashpad
November 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Cheap guitars make the Baby Jesus cry...

Not true.

The dude was born in a stable for heaven's sake.

Jesus loves great cheap guitars!

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/25500/25713_w.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
November 26th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Not true.

The dude was born in a stable for heaven's sake.

Jesus loves great cheap guitars!

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/25500/25713_w.jpg
StingX meant cry...with joy ;).

Brian Krashpad
November 26th, 2007, 06:47 AM
StingX meant cry...with joy ;).

Haha, now that makes more sense!

Back in the 70's and into the 80's, cheap imports could be pretty miserable. They still can be, of course, but it's much more common today to find a perfectly playable hunk o' wood for very little dosh.

I've got very cool import guitars for $250 USD or less (sometimes used, sometimes new) from: Fender (MIM), Squier (MIJ), Brownsville (I was surprised how well this $100 pawnshop prize played), Daisy Rock (which are bascially Schecters, mine was made in Indonesia), Schecter (MIK), Gretsch (MIC Electromatic), and DeArmond (MIK). Some ones I no longer own that were good cheap players include Fernandes (MIK iirc, but maybe MIC), Gretsch (MIK Electromatic), Yamaha (Taiwan), and some more DeArmonds (MIK and Indonesia). I've also even gotten a few USA guitars for $250 USD or less, including a Ric 620, Peavey T-60, Peavey Predator (Strat knockoff), Fender Duo-Sonic, and Ovation Breadwinner.

Especially if one is good at finding great deals (and I am pretty durn good at it at this point), there's simply no direct correlation between price paid and playability except in the broadest and most general of ways.

tot_Ou_tard
November 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Haha, now that makes more sense!

I was just joking..he really meant it the way that you originally took it.

The truly sad thing is an unplayed guitar, although even that might be remedied by some future guitarslinger happy to get a mint korean cheapie that was undervalued in its day & is absolutely killer for the space-dirt gloop-rock which is taking the world by storm.

Brian Krashpad
November 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I was just joking..he really meant it the way that you originally took it.

The truly sad thing is an unplayed guitar, although even that might be remedied by some future guitarslinger happy to get a mint korean cheapie that was undervalued in its day & is absolutely killer for the space-dirt gloop-rock which is taking the world by storm.

Haha, no I figured that's how he meant it, I just disagree. :AOK: