PDA

View Full Version : Amp question or rant

TS808
August 31st, 2007, 09:40 AM
Just reading all of the threads here, most of us seem to be pretty similar in the amps we play...alot of Vox Ad**VT's, Peavey Classic 30's/Delta Blues, some Line 6 stuff...etc. It seems we're all buying amps in the same price range.

If you're like me, I've gone through so many amps over the years that looking back, I'm thinking I could have spent all that money on something better and find myself eyeing 18-watters lately, like a Budda or a Sligo....

Just wondering, are these more expensive amps worth the money and have others gone through this too. The amps we all seem to be using give us pretty good tone as is, plus it depends on the guitar and the player using the equipment, but are these amps really that much better and do they really deliver the tone?

Maybe this is just a bad case of GAS but I'm catching myself looking at these 18-watters more and more.

Robert
August 31st, 2007, 09:51 AM
Good question! I have an 18 watter coming soon, so I'll fill you in later.

There's so much good stuff out there, it's hard to pick and choose sometimes.

TS808
August 31st, 2007, 09:53 AM

I don't know what it is, maybe just the fact that I'm feeling more comfortable with my playing, but I've really been checking these out lately. I'm really looking at the 18-watt Bluesbreaker clones and the Budda Superdrive 18.

Robert
August 31st, 2007, 10:24 AM
Check out the Heatseeker from www.mackamps.com - can you get a handwired tube amp for a better price than that? I haven't tried it yet, so I can't vouch for it, but the manufacturer says nothing but high quality parts are used, so it should match the quality of the expensive boutique amps of similar amp type (18 watt Marshall clones).

Bloozcat
August 31st, 2007, 02:10 PM
You and Robert are not alone, TS808. An 18 watt Marshall type clone is definitely on my radar screen too. They just have such a wonderfully warm, fat, luscious tone that just seems to sing to you. The perfect blues and classic rock amp that gets the grind without splitting your ear drums.

What's not to like?

TS808
September 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM

This is also a pretty good deal. Check out all the prices, especially the 18-watt bluesbreaker and the JTM 45 clone:

http://www.sligoamps.com/html/products.html

Robert
September 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Wow, those are great prices.

I am getting this one - http://www.mackamps.com/products_Amp_hs_18.asp

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Oh, man--you guys are killin' me here!!! Must....resist....can't....submit.....

oldguy
September 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Oh, man--you guys are killin' me here!!! Must....resist....can't....submit.....

You need one, Vood, you know you do. And all you have to do is build some more pedals, sell 'em, and use the cash to get ya one....
BWA..HAAA..HAAA.HAA..HA :eek: :eek:

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
No....can't give in....to the Dark Side.....mustn't listen.....to Oldguy, a.k.a. Darth Sidious.....help me, Obi-Wan!!!

oldguy
September 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
.....mustn't listen.....to Oldguy, a.k.a. Darth Sidious.....help me, Obi-Wan!!!

REALLY OLDGUY....KNOWN AS.......... PERFIDIA........LISTEN.......LISTEN!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

(ps...I plugged a "certain yellow pedal" again on Youtube, in the Home Recording section. Are you building something better than the Chicken Salad yet????????????):D :D :DR

250Keith
September 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Wow, those are great prices.

I am getting this one - http://www.mackamps.com/products_Amp_hs_18.asp

Robert that amp sounds good! are you getting the cab with the head?