PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha SG-80 (I finally know what I have)

Jampy
August 31st, 2007, 11:19 AM
I bought one about 15+ years ago for $60.00 CDN it was heavy as sin and looked kinda wacky to me at the time so I just had to have it. Never knowing what it was and not really caring, it was the only guitar that remained from my earlier collection that was sold off due to life sucking..LOL

I lost interest in it and it sat under a bed for YEARS, the strings had rusted and I thought I would hang it on a wall for a joke or something.

After I bought my first home, my interest in it started to surface again and I started to wonder "what the heck is this thing"

I wrote Yamaha Canada a few times with the serial number 20364 which is all the info that was listed on the guitar besides the yamaha logo. I never heard anything from them so started to hit up google using the serial number as main main info for searching, I then found out that Yamaha uses a two letter code before the five digit number to reference the year it was made, alas mine did not have any letters just the 5 numbers to make my search even harder. So today sittign at work I decide to start looking again and I actually found it, well not 100% mine mine has a tremolo (not working and missing parts ) and a different tailstock. Over than that they are the same body neck pickups, pickguard everything..I am so happy I now know what I am playing. Sadly the guitar was abused ( by me ) and will now need to be complety re-wired due to my neglect I am sure contacts have rusted as the guitar buzzes very badly when plugged in. I am also going to bring it back to it standard colour for the plastic parts as they we painted and painted poorly.I translated the page and found out this guitar only sold between april and december 1972 and sold for about 78,000 yen at the time or about $260 USD.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/database/sg/02/img/sg80.jpg

Here is the link I found it at, a ton of very cool looking guitars to look over to !!

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/database/sg/02/sg-80.html

kerc
August 31st, 2007, 12:56 PM
That's a pretty cool-looking guitar!

Jampy
August 31st, 2007, 01:10 PM
That's a pretty cool-looking guitar!

Yea it is, sadly in person it looks like a coffee table, it is a neck through body and everything is the same finish, the quality is very good, has a few cracks in the clear coat at stress points but they do not go to the wood. I think after it is re-wired I will start to play it more and more ( if my back can tak the weight ) it is almost 10 pounds !?! I would love to get it re-finished in a gloss black or sunburst but I don't want to tak away from it;s originality, only the machine heads/nut have been changed everything else is still original.