PDA

View Full Version : "With this amph I get no screaming solos"

SuperSwede
February 13th, 2006, 04:58 AM
When I am looking for music gear I often check what people say on Harmony Central. I found this old Yamaha solid state amp, and from the review below I just KNOW that I am going to like it... :D

Price Paid: US $100 used
Features: 4
The Jx50 looks like it was made in the seventies, or evan the sixties. The amph color is brown and gold nobs, not to classy looking for the 2000's and beyond. I play alot of jazz and blues stuff(steely dan and so on), and the amph does not cut it with the one twelve. I'm not in a band but Ive been playing for about six years.Has high imput and low imput. A pull gain volume and master control volume. Has four equalizing controls Treble-middle-bass_ and some nob called FAT that I have never seen on another amph. Has a very nice reverb though and play Marley tunes quite nice also a reverb foot switch plug in the back, but Ive never evan it. Now the speaker in the cabniet reads a diferent modle #JA3066 60 watt r.m.s. And the amph reads 75 Watts r.m.s. So since I bought it used the first speaker must have been replaced.

Sound Quality: 3
I play a Peavey preditor, wich is a strat look alike and a sound alike. I love the pick scrapes and sharp bends and the Jx50 fits my style of play to an extent. With this amph I get no screaming solos. My ground is pulled out of my edison cable so I get alot of scrathy sounds and every now and then I pick up radio station. The bass on the amph sucks bad. No distortion peddles eather the speaker just bottoms out. The pull gain just makes the amph sound worse too.

Reliability: 8
Besides dirt getting in the pull gain, 999999 times out of a 1000000 it will turn on.

Customer Support: N/A
I bought the amph used.

Overall Rating: 3
I am nineteen and I feel that by the time I'm twentyfive I will be a damn good guitar player. I would pay somebody steel my JX50 its a piece of crap.

Submitted by Dustin at 03/04/1999 15:09

Spudman
February 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM
LOL. I wonder what planet this guy was playing on. Such a good review...I want one too. GAS is never ending. LOL

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I think the "With this amph I get no screaming solos" is a brilliant expression. I am going to use it as a benchmark for all future amp purchases!

warren0728
February 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM
I think the "With this amph I get no screaming solos" is a brilliant expression.
me too....classic!

would make a great signature!

ww

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM
You think? ;)

warren0728
February 14th, 2006, 07:30 AM
i laugh everytime i read that quote...

ww :D

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM
There are several goodies still available!

"My ground is pulled out of my edison cable"

or perhaps the future classic?

"999999 times out of a 1000000 it will turn on."

warren0728
February 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
i kinda like this one!

ww

r_a_smith3530
February 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Personally, I appreciate the fact that it "has high imput and low imput." Multiple imputs are very important you know!

BTW, can someone give a better description of scrathy sounds? Is that similar to the racket two cats make out in the alley?

Being that this review was authored back in 1999, Dustin must now be 25. I wonder if a) Dustin became a damn good guitar player, b) Dustin ever found someone to steel his amph, and finally, c) if Dustin ever learned English?

warren0728
February 14th, 2006, 10:26 AM
BTW, can someone give a better description of scrathy sounds?

did you listen to my links for the marshall mini?....i am the king of scrathy!!

ww

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Haha!

I just wonder why he need a "screaming solos amph" when he plays Steely Dan songs...

Three letters: L S D

Tone2TheBone
February 14th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Lmao.......

Nelskie
February 14th, 2006, 11:16 AM
"Just by chance you crossed a diamond with the pearl, and turned it on the world, that's when turned you the world around" . . . .

Get along, get along Screamin' Amp Solo Guy, get along . . .

Matt
February 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Now that was funny. I know I usually have many mistakes, but that's merely because I type too fast, and I'm too lazy to go back and edit my errors, but unless this guy was trying to convey that he has some kind of strange lisp, with the constant 'amph', he is in dire need of some English lessons.

Out of interest, peoples' names on H C are usually links if they are members. If his was, I think we should e-mail him to find out if her ever did become the awesome guitar player he aspired to be.

regards

Matt

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately there is no link, but here you got the page where I found his amazing review,

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Yamaha/JX50-1.html

r_a_smith3530
February 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM
did you listen to my links for the marshall mini?....i am the king of scrathy!!

ww

Now don't you go tryin' to lay none of that Boojie Woojie music on me Warren. ;)

Nelskie
February 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Besides dirt getting in the pull gain, 999999 times out of a 1000000 it will turn on.

To hell with gigging, or cabinet materials, hardware, or electronics. Brother, if there's anything that screams amp reliability to me, its a pull-gain knob turning on 999,999 times out of 1,000,0000 - even when subjected to dirt!!! I do, however, have to wonder if that statistic came from actual "field-testing". Also - when you're becoming one of the greatest guitarists of all time, doesn't this seem unnecessary? I mean, you could get in a lot of practice in the time it takes to pull a knob in and out 1,000,000 times. :confused:

LSD? Yeah, that'd be my guess, too.

r_a_smith3530
February 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I mean, you could get in a lot of practice in the time it takes to pull a knob in and out 1,000,000 times. :confused:

LSD? Yeah, that'd be my guess, too.

Yes, LSD, taken with a heavy side of 'shrooms!

SuperSwede
February 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Nelskie, I think you are on to something here. He doesnt even LIKE the pull-gain!

"The pull gain just makes the amph sound worse too""The pull gain just makes the amph sound worse too"

Nelskie
February 14th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Frankly speaking, I think that attitude may have surfaced after he'd pulled that gain knob a million times. Or, perhaps partially due to the Steely Dan solos he was playing not being "screaming enough". And speaking of Steely Dan, I think I'd read in a Donald Fagen interview sometime back that part of the reason Steely Dan didn't tour extensively in the late 70's and 80's due to that very fact! Or maybe it was due to the band's heavy use of recreational drugs? Or both.

Any way you look at it, playing an un-classy, not-ready-for-the-year-2000 brown amp with gold knobs will take its toll on even the best of players . . . eventually. :rolleyes:

"Get along, get along Screamin' Amp Solo Guy, get along . . . "

SuperSwede
February 15th, 2006, 02:03 AM
The fact that the amp is not Y2K compliant should not have been a problem back in the 70´s. However, I can see the problems with pulling the gain knob while under the influence of recreational drugs.

Here is a little pic of the brown wonder so that we know what we are talking about. Please take notice of the pull-gain!

http://hip-s.net/sound/img/IMG_1261.jpg

SuperSwede
February 15th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Apparently the JX50 has a little brother, and it seems like it has similar features! Just read what brother Vaughan wrote about it!

Price Paid: N/A
Features: 5
Well, I gotta tell you...nothing like what the above writers went through ever happened to me. It is a clean little amp that i bought for my place 12 floors up. I have traded imn my fender stacks for micro waves and dishwashers and a big t.V. Sigh. I find No mud. this is a clean little amp. I like the channels and the fact i can run my mike thru it and stay about 8 feet away without feedback. This amp is so clean, vanillia comes to mind. It has plenty of controls, but they lead to distortion. Infact, the only way I can get different sounds is by having my Daddy-o intercede!! this old solid statere from the late golden years will have to do.

Sound Quality: 5
I ripped a Fernandaes apart and turned it into a fender standard (NOT squire!!!!!!!!!!!).
see abouve for most...I use it for writing and occasionally ripping a couple of riffs through the walls. The ol' gal has a lot of power.

I would rate it 10, but it faded on me the other day...oh ohhh!

Customer Support: N/A
never delt with them, but they can send me a fre amp!

Overall Rating: 3
30 years
A little fender or yamaha....
I love I have it, I hate the new fade. (the "presance" is great, too).
nothing else to say

Submitted by Vaughan at 05/02/2004 03:55

Nelskie
February 15th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Ah yes - nothing says clean like "vanillia". I wonder if that's the same thing as "vanilla", though one could assume that its probably much cleaner. Indeed, HC is a great resource, but as with anything, you have to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt, and let your fingers / ears be the real judge.

I must also say your J50 is a fine looking amp. And that pull-gain knob doesn't look quite so "hairy" in person, either.

Spudman
February 16th, 2006, 12:18 AM
yu no, if Harmony Central ever put is a spells checker wer gonna luze all that lushus humer.

SuperSwede
February 16th, 2006, 03:01 AM
So are HC up for sale?

r_a_smith3530
February 16th, 2006, 06:25 AM
So are HC up for sale?

SS, from what I heard, it's a done deal already! Just the ink isn't dry yet.

SuperSwede
February 16th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I really hope that they dont change too much, and for gods sake dont include a spelling check.

SuperSwede
April 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Sweet jesus.. I´ve been reading Yamaha JX reviews again.. Here is a JX40 review that really explains more about these amazing screaming solo amps!

Product: Yamaha JX40 112 Combo
Price Paid: USD 100
Submitted 08/21/2007 at 03:03am by BlueTim

Features : 8
I`ll buy this amp late 80`s (600mk = 100 eur), when it was one year old. So...amp was made -81 or -82.
Amp has two channel and headphone jack. I used amp for training, recording, some jam-sessions and few gigs.
In gigs you haven??t easy way changed distr./clean sound, that??s why amp has some limited use on stage.

Sound Quality : 9
Clean is little bit thin or weak and not so bright for gigs. For recording and training it works good enough.
Amp has great distrotion and when use with some good pedal (Ibanez tubescream), it has very good sound. I find some recordings quite good distr. sound then back to the 80`s.
Amp does the job on gigs, but then you have use microphone and PA-system. Alone amp is too weak for pop/rock.

Reliability : 8
Amp was couple years in store and doesn??t work at all, when I try it. But local music store has good worker who repair the amp quite minium cost.
Potentiometer must use electric spray...

But amp has work over twenty years guite well.

Customer Support : No Opinion

Overall Rating : 8
I sold amp little time ago. It has good for training and maybe(?) recording, but nowdays you can get much better amp for rec.
Nowdays amp has vintage-model-like and does the job also for little gigs in right kind music.

Spudman
April 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Apparently a non native English speaker...or maybe from the southern bayou country of the USA.:rotflmao:

warren0728
April 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
another great review....as with most sequals...the first was the best...but this one is pretty good too! :bravo: :rotflmao:

ww

Justaguyin_nc
April 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Sweet jesus.. I´ve been reading Yamaha JX reviews again.. Here is a JX40 review that really explains more about these amazing screaming solo amps!

Product: Yamaha JX40 112 Combo
Price Paid: USD 100
Submitted 08/21/2007 at 03:03am by BlueTim

Features : 8
I`ll buy this amp late 80`s (600mk = 100 eur), when it was one year old. So...amp was made -81 or -82.
Amp has two channel and headphone jack. I used amp for training, recording, some jam-sessions and few gigs.
In gigs you haven??t easy way changed distr./clean sound, that??s why amp has some limited use on stage.

Sound Quality : 9
Clean is little bit thin or weak and not so bright for gigs. For recording and training it works good enough.
Amp has great distrotion and when use with some good pedal (Ibanez tubescream), it has very good sound. I find some recordings quite good distr. sound then back to the 80`s.
Amp does the job on gigs, but then you have use microphone and PA-system. Alone amp is too weak for pop/rock.

Reliability : 8
Amp was couple years in store and doesn??t work at all, when I try it. But local music store has good worker who repair the amp quite minium cost.
Potentiometer must use electric spray...

But amp has work over twenty years guite well.

Customer Support : No Opinion

Overall Rating : 8
I sold amp little time ago. It has good for training and maybe(?) recording, but nowdays you can get much better amp for rec.
Nowdays amp has vintage-model-like and does the job also for little gigs in right kind music.

What..What..I understanded him perfectly! I didn't cee watt the big deel is all abut! southern or nut!

u guys are crul!!

luvmyshiner
April 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Oh man! I remember y'all talking about this thread, but I've never read it before. I laughed so hard I think I peed myself.:eek:

Robert
September 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM
This thread is a classic. I hereby nominate it to the top 10 of all threads on the Fret!

Jimi75
September 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM
This is so funny and weird at the same time!
Really a classic!

ShortBuSX
September 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
When I am looking for music gear I often check what people say on Harmony Central. I found this old Yamaha solid state amp, and from the review below I just KNOW that I am going to like it... :D

Sound Quality: 3
No distortion peddles eather the speaker just bottoms out.

Flower peddles offer the worst kinda distortion on just about any kinda amph!:thwap:
Of course youll get no screaming solos.

Jimi75
September 12th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Don't SCREAM for me Argentina.....:thwap:

duhvoodooman
September 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
"I am nineteen and I feel that by the time I'm twentyfive I will be a damn good guitar player."

I hope he's right. He'll need some way to earn a decent living, and I'd venture to guess that journalist or English teacher are not viable career options.... :rotflmao:

SuperSwede
September 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Perhaps membership in this fancy fret.net club would only be granted those that read this thread.

This thread is for me the essence of the forum distilled into a few short lines.

:D

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
This thread brings tears to my eyes.

I was a lurker at the time that SS first posted this. I joined in March 2006.

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Oh gosh its that time of the year again when we have to *bump* the "With this amph I get no screaming solos" thread, just in case anyone of our new members have missed it and dont understand why a fret.net amp is spelled amph. God bless brother Dustin, and may his solos scream for many years to come!

just strum
July 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks, makes my comment to Eric easier to understand and saves me the trouble of trying to explain it and risk something being lost as the story is passed on.

bigG
July 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for bumping this one! Never saw it before. Now I see, said the blind man...Explains alot! Great stuff! :AOK:

ibanezjunkie
July 19th, 2009, 04:37 AM
does anyone else think this guy sounds like a guitar store employee? putting one amp down to make you buy an MG?

deeaa
July 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM
me too....classic!

would make a great signature!

ww

Lemme be the first ;-)

FrankenFretter
July 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Now I understand the whole "amph" thing. I had been under the assumption that it was just an elitist way of standing out from all the other forums. ;)

Awesome!

just strum
July 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Now I understand the whole "amph" thing. I had been under the assumption that it was just an elitist way of standing out from all the other forums. ;)

Awesome!

When I first saw it being used, I thought it was European spelling - you know, humour.

FrankenFretter
July 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM
When I first saw it being used, I thought it was European spelling - you know, humour.

Yeah, those crazy Europeans...do they drop "k"s too? The nobs on my amph go to 11. Fantastiche!

ibanezjunkie
July 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
im european (British) and i dont drop my Ks or talk like that, ive been told i talk and act posh.

none of this slang rubbish. :D

tot_Ou_tard
July 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah, those crazy Europeans...do they drop "k"s too? The nobs on my amph go to 11. Fantastiche! :rotflmao::rotflmao:

If we do make TheFret t-shirts we have to have them say

"With this amph I get no screaming solos"

on the back.

marnold
July 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
:rotflmao::rotflmao:

If we do make TheFret t-shirts we have to have them say

on the back.
Or more simply "It's spelled AMPH!"

ibanezjunkie
July 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Haha!

I just wonder why he need a "screaming solos amph" when he plays Steely Dan songs...

Three letters: L S D

Lucy In The Sky With diamonds?

:rotflmao:
:D

i think Walter Becker would have done some good 'screaming' solos if he'd wanted to.

tot_Ou_tard
July 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Or more simply "It's spelled AMPH!"
:D That'd do.

deeaa
July 20th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Really a priceless one.

BTW Ibanezjunkie, here in Finland as well as in Britain/UK it's my understanding its pretty easy to spot from one's speech whereabouts he or she is from. I can tell a person is from any of the 5 regions of Finland in just a few words. Same as you can usually spot a Londoner with not a lot of d's in the words etc...not so easy in the U.S. although I can usually guess who's Californian from their nasality and a Texan very often too...and was it in Philly where people seemed to swallow all the K's...but not that often these traits translate to written language.

ibanezjunkie
July 20th, 2009, 05:31 AM
the UK has 4 parts:

England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland

every seems to think all english people talk cockney/with a london accent when most of us sound very simelar some some american/canadian people. Dave carrol who did the united hates guitars vid has a similar voice to the voices around here.

scottish people have a an unusual prenounciation of some letters, giving them a very disitinct accent, so does N. Irish people and Welsh people have a very exhasperated tone of voice, which usually comes across as very camp.

theres a whole bunch of regional accents within england, northern accent, west country or 'farmer' accents, etc.

but none of us talk like the guy in the review =]

Spudman
July 20th, 2009, 07:54 AM
When both you guys start saying "amph" instead of just spelling it that way then everyone will know exactly where you are from...thefret.net.:)

Monkus
July 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I always wondered...rotflmao doesn't quite describe my reaction....hilarious !!! :D X2 on the T-shirt idea...!!!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_96594a647fb147d97.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1189)

sumitomo
July 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM

on the back.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea it's gotta be on the back of the T's:rockon: :dude: :bravo: Sumi:D

ibanezjunkie
July 21st, 2009, 09:03 AM
i just used to think 'amph' was something you canadian/american members came up with to confuse the newbies :)

it confused me for a while.

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM
i just used to think 'amph' was something you canadian/american members came up with to confuse the newbies :)

it confused me for a while.
We tend to forget that we are writing amph. Every so often someone asks or someone thinks to enlighten the noobies.

I doubt that anyone is doing it to confuse anybody.

Tynee
July 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
well, I for one, now feel much better knowing that it's not just an alternate spelling...

pes_laul
July 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
When both you guys start saying "amph" instead of just spelling it that way then everyone will know exactly where you are from...thefret.net.:)
how would you even pronounce that?:whatever:

Spudman
July 22nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
how would you even pronounce that?:whatever:
ahampff of course.:D

Just try it. You'll figure it out and before long it becomes second nature and then your friends have you committed. It's really fun!

ibanezjunkie
July 23rd, 2009, 02:52 AM
wouldnt it be 'amf' ?

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
wouldnt it be 'amf' ?

In the UK, sure. In the rest of the English speaking world it's pronounced

amfcestershire

Radioboy950
July 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Can't we incorporate this into the new logo...:D

"The Fret.net, The Place for Guitar, Bass & Amphs"

sumitomo
July 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
In the UK, sure. In the rest of the English speaking world it's pronounced

amfcestershire

Tot maybe your prolaction levels are off today,I think that might be amphatross.:poke: Sumi:D

FrankenFretter
April 11th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Bumping this thread for the newbies. Now you know why we call them "amphs"!

Hmmm...maybe this could be the epitaph for HC...

Katastrophe
April 11th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Someone, sticky this thread!

Or I will curse you with excessive dirt in the pullgain.

SuperSwede
April 11th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Oh mighty Katastrophe, your will is my command.

Katastrophe
April 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks, man! ...And your pull gain is now dirt free.

Now newbies can just get to the thread without having to do a search!

FrankenFretter
October 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM
It's been a while since this thread surfaced, so I thought I'd bring it back to life for a moment. Let us not forget our roots... :D

Glacies
October 31st, 2011, 01:28 PM
Oh man... I really thought it was a result of the multicultural member base here. THat's freakin priceless. Dirt in the pull gain does suck though!

FrankenFretter
November 16th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Another bumph for the new guys...