PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing on fret

Jampy
September 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
Well I changed the strings on my 93 USA Strat Plus, used the same brand and gauge. Now on the low E string it buzzes badly on the 5th fret when you depress the 3rd fret. I tried the adjust the micro tilt and it was set all the way in the direction I needed, I tried to rasie the saddle and it helped a bit, but to continue with it would change the action. I don't really want to shim the nut as it is a Roller nut. I think I may have to re-adjust the hipshot bridge, alas the site sucks with no instructions or details and the only instruction I have found online are for installation and they are terrible as well. my bridge does not float and rests on the body, I think my HUGE mistake was to remove all the strings to polish and condition the fret board as it was dirty and dry. Did I screw things up for myself now?

Any help from the "pro's" would be great or should I bring it in tot the local shop for them to look at it ?

Thanks

marnold
September 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
I'm not a pro, nor do I play one on TV. I'd suggest just letting it sit for a day or two just to make sure the neck has adjusted to having strings on it again. Then check the relief on the neck to make sure you don't need a truss rod adjustment.

BTW, you didn't mess anything up. I suppose if the fretboard was REALLY dry, conditioning might have caused a fret to get ever so slightly higher than it was before. Use the E string as a level and see if any frets above the third seem a little higher than the rest.

Spudman
September 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Removing all the strings shouldn't have affected it.

If after it has sat fully tuned for a day or two and the problem hasn't gone away then you can try tapping the offending fret down with a plastic hammer.

If it is a 2 point tremolo chances are during your cleaning that one side of the bridge inadvertently lowered.

Jampy
September 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
she is sitting in the case in the basement now, and I will try her out tonight just to see what is going on and if the buzz is getting less or has gone away.

As for the bridge it is your standard strat bridge with the addition of the hipshot, don't really know to much about it, never use the tremolo.

I'll keep you posted, thanks !!

Jampy
September 4th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Well been 3 days since string change and buzz is still there and has not changed one bit !?!

I am very puzzled, a little buzzing I can understand but this one is so bad it makes the string sound dead and you can heer it through the amp !?!

I guess a trip to the geetar shop is needed :(

Robert
September 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Reading the title of this thread made me think of Fretters who had too much to drink.... "buzzing on the Fret"... haha! :D

Sorry for this useless post. :)

250Keith
September 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Robert you into the box o wine agian:D

250Keith
September 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Jampy, I just gave my guitar some love yesterday, new strings oiled the fret board I was using Daddario 10 46 I just went with Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10 52 I was getting a high pitch somthing? from the high E with the 10-46, I was getting some fret buzz from the 12th fret and below, I put the new strings on and played with neck it plays great now, it sounds like you need to adjust the neck alittle, hope you get it.
Keith.

Jampy
September 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Been doing soem reading and it seems that the neck suffers from back bow, which makes perfect sence. I will do a very slight truss rod adjustment tonight to see if it helps the problem go away..I sure do hope so.

I'll keep you posted..

Bloozcat
September 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM
You never noticed this before the string change, or after other string changes?

It's kind of unusual that the guitar would suddenly develop a high fret, unless the fret somehow loosened during the string change. But that still seems strange.

Try taking a straight edge that's long enough to span the offending fret, and one above and one below (it would probably be a good idea to check all of the frets, but that's another matter). Check to see if there is any discernible rocking with the fifth fret acting as the pivot. It wont have to be much. If you can't tell from that, use a feeler gauge to check the gap between the straight edge and the frets on the fourth & sixth frets. If the fifth fret is high there should be no gap there. Inspect the fifth fret closely. Check to see if it looks like it's pulled away from the fretboard. Use the feeler gauges to assist in this check, using other frets on the neck for comparison. If the fret has popped up a bit, you'll have to carefully tap it back down. I'd be concerned even after that though, because whatever it was that caused the fret to pop up in the first place might not be corrected just by tapping it back in place. Sometimes some hide-a-glue or super glue is needed to secure the fret in place (which might necessitate popping the fret up even more to allow the glue to penetrate).

These are just some suggestions of where to look for an answer (except for the last couple, which are specific repairs). It's kind of hard to know what it might be exactly without seeing the guitar.

Jampy
September 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
You never noticed this before the string change, or after other string changes?

It's kind of unusual that the guitar would suddenly develop a high fret, unless the fret somehow loosened during the string change. But that still seems strange.

Try taking a straight edge that's long enough to span the offending fret, and one above and one below (it would probably be a good idea to check all of the frets, but that's another matter). Check to see if there is any discernible rocking with the fifth fret acting as the pivot. It wont have to be much. If you can't tell from that, use a feeler gauge to check the gap between the straight edge and the frets on the fourth & sixth frets. If the fifth fret is high there should be no gap there. Inspect the fifth fret closely. Check to see if it looks like it's pulled away from the fretboard. Use the feeler gauges to assist in this check, using other frets on the neck for comparison. If the fret has popped up a bit, you'll have to carefully tap it back down. I'd be concerned even after that though, because whatever it was that caused the fret to pop up in the first place might not be corrected just by tapping it back in place. Sometimes some hide-a-glue or super glue is needed to secure the fret in place (which might necessitate popping the fret up even more to allow the glue to penetrate).

These are just some suggestions of where to look for an answer (except for the last couple, which are specific repairs). It's kind of hard to know what it might be exactly without seeing the guitar.

I just got the guitar, so this was the first string change, I noticed a slight buzz on the E but then again it happens on most of my guitars but not to the level it was after the string change. I think he may have had the bridge floating a bit I am going to recheck the bridge again and check that fret though I doubt it was that ( I hope not ) gonna tune her up and check the string height I have a feeling it is back bow and hope it can be fixed with a tweek on the truss rod..

I'll keep you posted..

Jampy
September 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Jampy, I just gave my guitar some love yesterday, new strings oiled the fret board I was using Daddario 10 46 I just went with Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10 52 I was getting a high pitch somthing? from the high E with the 10-46, I was getting some fret buzz from the 12th fret and below, I put the new strings on and played with neck it plays great now, it sounds like you need to adjust the neck alittle, hope you get it.
Keith.

Yah, maybe the guy before me used heavier strings to bow the neck slightly I use 10's so I may have to adjust, I was going by the empty string pack left in the case, but that could be from 100 string changes ago..

:confused:

marnold
September 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Test your guitar first before adjusting the truss rod. For the test, you will need a capo or a friend. Capo the low E string on the first fret or have your friend hold the string down on top of the first fret. With one hand hold the string down on the 14th fret. With your other hand, try to slide a business card underneath the string at the 7th or 8th fret. If it is a tight fit or you can't get it underneath the string at all, you don't have enough relief on the neck. If the card falls right out, you have too much relief. Adjust your truss rod a little at a time. Try 1/4 turn and let the guitar sit overnight. Then test it again. Repeat as necessary.

Just to note: it shouldn't take much force to get a truss rod adjuster to turn. If you feel the need to use a lot of force, STOP and take your guitar to a luthier. It is hard to hurt a neck by adjusting it if you follow the proper steps. If you force it or over tighten/loosen it, you can do remarkably nasty things to your neck.

In a climate like the one I live in (Northern Wisconsin) where you have warm, humid summers and dry, cold winters, you'll need to check the truss rod periodically because the weather itself will affect them.

Jampy
September 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Test your guitar first before adjusting the truss rod. For the test, you will need a capo or a friend. Capo the low E string on the first fret or have your friend hold the string down on top of the first fret. With one hand hold the string down on the 14th fret. With your other hand, try to slide a business card underneath the string at the 7th or 8th fret. If it is a tight fit or you can't get it underneath the string at all, you don't have enough relief on the neck. If the card falls right out, you have too much relief. Adjust your truss rod a little at a time. Try 1/4 turn and let the guitar sit overnight. Then test it again. Repeat as necessary.

Just to note: it shouldn't take much force to get a truss rod adjuster to turn. If you feel the need to use a lot of force, STOP and take your guitar to a luthier. It is hard to hurt a neck by adjusting it if you follow the proper steps. If you force it or over tighten/loosen it, you can do remarkably nasty things to your neck.

In a climate like the one I live in (Northern Wisconsin) where you have warm, humid summers and dry, cold winters, you'll need to check the truss rod periodically because the weather itself will affect them.

Thanks, i spent about 30 minutes today reading all on truss rods, as this is the 1st one I will have to do. I will take my time and make very small changes. if I feel like I am gonna get in trouble that is where I stop. I am old enough now to know better than to rush anything..LOL

Jampy
September 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM
It must have known, checked the neck it looks good. the buzz is still there but it not so bad as to stop me from playing..