PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Salute BT

oldguy
September 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
I know everyone doesn't celebrate Labor Day, but as a member of Laborer's Int'l Union, I do.
Here's a salute to ALL working people everywhere, and to those who've worked hard and earned a retirement, and some leisure time.
This backing track is for you.:)

http://www.box.net/shared/oycrmiarst

Here's my take.

http://www.box.net/shared/ixuft6g0m5

250Keith
September 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Old guy! I'm Local 1 in portland Tile slut 20+ thanks for The link it was very good, You nailed it, How long you been playing?

SuperSwede
September 4th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Oldguy, both the backing track and your take on it sounds great!

Here we celebrate Labor Day on May 1st.

Tim
September 4th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Excellent Oldguy. Did you make the backing track on the Jam Studio site?

Justaguyin_nc
September 4th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the backing Oldguy..and your take on it...
To all Labor workers.. which would include just about anyone here that actually works for a living...;) union or not..although I perfer the union line for wages, and retirement in the same fields..Hope your Laborday was a pleasant one!

sunvalleylaw
September 4th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Nice take Oldguy! Again, you expressed well the theme of the song with your tone and playing. I also like hearing what you come up with to go with the backer you produced.

oldguy
September 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM
250Keith,
Cool! Nice to know that. I'm Local 579, St. Joseph, gradechecker/laborer, mostly gradecheck w/ GPS. I first picked up guitar @ 17, uh, lemme see, that'd be, 35 years ago:eek: , I've laid it down a few months at a time, but never "quit", I just keep pluggin' away at it.

Tim, yes, I used Jamstudio to make the BT. I've noticed the instruments on there kind of "break" each measure, I mean they sort of sound stiff at each change of measure.... don't know how to explain it really. Anyway, when I get the backer done, I record it w/ Audacity, then I copy the track, paste it into a new track below the original, pan one 90% left, the other 90% right to give it some seperation, and just barely time-shift one, not enough to make an echo effect, just where one slightly is behind the other. That seems to smooth out the abrupt changes measure to measure, at least to my ears.

Justa, I'm with you on the wage and benefit issue. I have respect for all working people, they are contributors, whatever their line of work.
After working a factory job w/ no benefits in a right-to-work state (KS), and being told by management we "were lucky to have a job", then watching them cut quality to improve profits at the worker's expense, then going belly-up due to selling machines no-one wanted anymore, I took my severance pay, went to Colorado for a week w/ the family to let the cobwebs clear from my head, came home and joined the Laborer's Int'l of North America, and have been earning a living wage for contractors who actually appreciate it when you do a good job. I enjoy going to work, wow, what a change!