PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Valve Jr. Mods

marnold
September 4th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I just finished reading the current Premier Guitar. They had a teaser for next month's issue. In that one they will be testing and reviewing a number of Valve Jr. mods. Should make for interesting reading. I subscribed to get a hard copy, but they always have the full version of the mag on their site.

Justaguyin_nc
September 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the headsup!!
This should be a great read for all us Junior owners!

jasongins
September 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Has anyone with a Valve Junior looked into installing an effects loop? Particularly this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Loop-D-Junior-EFX-Loop-Mod-for-Epiphone-Valve-Jr-Amp_W0QQitemZ200148143418QQihZ010QQcategoryZ10171Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)?

I would like to try plugging a modeler into my Valve Junior head, but I am not sure how that will sound going through the preamp. The above mod is supposed to plug you right into the power amp section, and is also supposed to be a simple, no solder installation.

ted s
September 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I don't understand the concept of an effects loop, I understand a chain before the amp but then my brain slides into park. Can someone enlighten me ?
If I do this mod will it restore the hair on my forehead to what it was 20 years ago ? Maybe get rid of the hair on my back ?

250Keith
September 4th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I don't understand the concept of an effects loop, I understand a chain before the amp but then my brain slides into park. Can someone enlighten me ?
If I do this mod will it restore the hair on my forehead to what it was 20 years ago ? Maybe get rid of the hair on my back ?

Ha Ha! I'm with you on this one Ted, I dont get it also, and I was 5'9" before I lost my hair:D

ted s
September 4th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I just got a haircut this AM, didn't do myself any favours.

We now restore control of this post to it's rightful owner.. sorry.

marnold
September 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
An effects loop allows you to place effects (especially delay or modulation effects) between the preamp and power amp. The general consensus is that it's better to delay/modulate an already dirty signal rather than distort a delayed/modulated signal.

250Keith
September 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks Marnold,

jasongins
September 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
The reason I ask the question is that, according to my understanding, most modeling devices (such as a POD, etc) are themselves preamps. So, what is the effect of stacking two preamps in a row, such as would be the case by plugging a POD into the input of my Valve Junior? By using an effects loop, one could plug the modeling device right into the power amp section, thus avoiding stacking two preamps in a row. Tech21 makes something called a PowerEngine60, which is a poweramp and a speaker, no preamp, designed for use specifically with modelers or as an extension to their other amps. This is what got me thinking about this mod for the VJ. Hopefully, Duhvoodooman will weigh in on this.

Spudman
September 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Jason
For amphs that don't have an effects loop just turn the volume all the way up on the amp and moderate the input signal through the preamp unit (POD, Sansamp, etc.) This way the input signal from the preamp (effect) unit won't be too hot for the amps preamp and amp output sections unless you turn the input device way up.

tunghaichuan
September 12th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I just bought one of those Loop D Jr. devices, but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet.

It seems well thought out, and my example was well made with nice looking, shiny solder joints. I think it is a very cool device, and I wish I would have thought of it. :) For $15.95 shipped, it is a bargain and it adds some flexibility to the Valve Junior.

Gil is having a sale on them now:

http://www.gibson.com/products/epiphone/forum/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=4&tid=186228

Gil is a good guy and very knowledgeable about the Valve Junior. He posts to several boards that I read. I have no affiliation with him other than being a satisfied customer.

tung

Has anyone with a Valve Junior looked into installing an effects loop? Particularly this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Loop-D-Junior-EFX-Loop-Mod-for-Epiphone-Valve-Jr-Amp_W0QQitemZ200148143418QQihZ010QQcategoryZ10171Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)?

I would like to try plugging a modeler into my Valve Junior head, but I am not sure how that will sound going through the preamp. The above mod is supposed to plug you right into the power amp section, and is also supposed to be a simple, no solder installation.

marnold
September 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
The issue is online. They only do one "mod" but it has several settings. Clippage included.

http://magazine.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2007/Oct/Juniors_Voice_Change.aspx